GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was rear-ended this morning by someone going too fast and paying too little attention (he was -- on his own admission -- "fighting with his girlfriend at the time" (she was also in the car) and got distracted). He actually partially drove "up" the passenger side of the Volt. I don't think his car survived.

The Volt is built like a tank and did it's job of protecting myself. The car was not driveable due to debris from the bumper obstructing the motion of the rear passenger tire. It was towed to my local Chevy dealership, which has an on-site body shop.

Since I've never been in this serious of an accident I wanted the group's collective wisdom regarding anything Volt-specific for repair. I want to be well-informed when the adjuster shows up in two days to estimate.

I'm concerned about a few things, like the gas tank, battery pack and, other "unseen" damage. I really LOVE this uniquely-styled Volt and don't want a new one. I know this car was over-engineered and is well-protected, but want to feel comfortable if rebuilt.

Check out these sad pictures and then let me know what you think and any tips for what to look for:

View attachment 112002 Beat Back 2.jpg Beat Back 3.jpg

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
"SMASHED" is a bit of an overstatement. Your photos show mostly plastic parts and little structural damage. But now a days it will still be higher cost than you might think, probably in the $3k -$5k range.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
67 Posts
since it's at the Chevy dealership you really shouldn't have much to do- the body shop will/should make sure that all things will be covered- and then you should go after his insurance company for extra $$$ (i forget what it's called- i'll check and get back to you if nobody posts it!) for the loss of value on the car due to the accident- they'll tell you no at first but you tell them they'll hear from your lawyer and then they should make you an offer.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It certainly felt worse than perhaps (I hope) it was--had a splitting headache most of the day since. Little structural damage would be nice, hopefully nothing to the battery or gas tank as the gas door was struck and unable to be opened. Thanks.

·
Registered
707 Posts
since it's at the Chevy dealership you really shouldn't have much to do- the body shop will/should make sure that all things will be covered- and then you should go after his insurance company for extra $$$ (i forget what it's called- i'll check and get back to you if nobody posts it!) for the loss of value on the car due to the accident- they'll tell you no at first but you tell them they'll hear from your lawyer and then they should make you an offer.
I believe you are thinking of diminished value. It it tough to prove.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,418 Posts
A number of 13's, mine included, had to have the rear axle replaced with one of new design. I'd be a bit concerned that if stressed during the accident, the noise might show up at a later date. Although they probably won't replace it unless the noise is there after repairs, you might be able to extract an agreement with his insurance that they'll pay for a replacement if that problem shows up later. You almost avoided any sheet metal damage, but they will have to do some banging on the qtr panel. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I would also be concerned with rear hatch leakage after the repairs. Seems like even a minor misalignment and you could wind up with wet and mold in the back.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A number of 13's, mine included, had to have the rear axle replaced with one of new design. I'd be a bit concerned that if stressed during the accident, the noise might show up at a later date. Although they probably won't replace it unless the noise is there after repairs, you might be able to extract an agreement with his insurance that they'll pay for a replacement if that problem shows up later. You almost avoided any sheet metal damage, but they will have to do some banging on the qtr panel. Good luck.
I'm at the dealership now and the rear axle needs to be replaced--they have a '14 available. Is the 14 the updated design? They can't find any difference in the part number using the part computer.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'm at the dealership now and the rear axle needs to be replaced--they have a '14 available. Is the 14 the updated design? They can't find any difference in the part number using the part computer.
I would contact a Volt Advisor and check with them.

Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Team:
(877) 486-5846
Chevrolet Volt & Spark EV Advisor Hours:
Monday - Friday 9AM to 9PM EST.
Closed on Saturday and Sunday.
[email protected]
https://twitter.com/ChevyVolt
http://https://www.facebook.com/chevroletvolt

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I would also be concerned with rear hatch leakage after the repairs. Seems like even a minor misalignment and you could wind up with wet and mold in the back.
Biggest thing I can think of for sure.

Better to be hit there than in the front on these cars for sure :)

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,418 Posts
I don't know about a model year designation. They should be able check with GM as to whether it is the new design. Mine was just changed a couple months ago, but I have no idea where the paperwork is or whether it showed the part#. If they are saying that the part number on your old axle is the same as what they are ordering, I'd get your Volt advisor involved -- the old threads on this new design may show the new part number.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
1,418 Posts
VoltenRock,
I dug out my paperwork and the part they replaced is 22788529 and it immediately solved my problem. Having previously seen WOT's informative post, http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?234089-Dealer-wants-to-replace-rear-cradle-aka-rear-wheels-assembly&p=3256434#post3256434 , I jumped to a conclusion that the same problem was being solved by the same solution -- a change in the design of the axle (yes, WOT, GM, my dealer, GMPartsOnline, etc, all say it is an AXLE). I don't know if I was ever told the design had changed. If not, and I created necessary concern on your part, I'm sorry. Now, I'll go back to worrying about whether I have the originally designed Gen1 axle and the problem will just return down the road (so to speak).

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all these posts. Went on a bit of a wild goose chase with the Volt advisor earlier and the parts manager--glad they patiently listened to my (incorrect) claim that there had to be a new design of the axle.

They are replacing the hub assembly and the part number matches this: https://www.gmpartsonline.net/parts/2013/Chevrolet/Volt/Base?siteid=215055&vehicleid=407593&diagram=CT11515

They are using an OEM part, not reused, according to the estimate. I'll touch base with the dealership in the morning to make sure. It didn't seem that there were a lot of satisfactory solutions to the "creaking" issue on some of those threads, so I hope not to fall victim to it.

This board is great, and thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Just so no one gets the wrong impression without looking at and thoroughly reading WOT's post, Bulletin 15-NA-058 "currently pertains to limited early production 2016 models only up to those manufactured before October 22, 2015".

P.S. Called it the first time. :rolleyes: Makes sense that the hub assembly took a whack if the wheel/tire was hit. ;)

Now the next question will be if the quarter panel is repaired, or replaced. Replacing a quarter panel is no small job (looking at the service manual) but might produce better results.

There are a few sections underneath too (rear compartment floor panel, rear end panel, body side inner panel, body side outer pPanel, etc.) that will have to be assessed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts