GM Volt Forum banner

What do you use for Navigation?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I bought my MY16 Volt with the Nav, mainly because the AA update wasn't out (That was in October 2015).

I knew the update was coming, but I wanted to still have nav until the update was out.

Built-in:
PROS
  • HOV/Carpool Lane aware
  • Syncs with SXM Nav-Traffic & Weather
CONS
  • Slow Re-routing
  • Doesn't always pick the best route (might be due to delays from SXM Traffic)
A friend gave me an old iPhone, and I tried CarPlay:
PROS
  • Apple Maps with more up-to-date traffic.
  • Syncs with SXM Nav-Traffic & Weather.
CONS
  • Had an issue where it wouldn't always switch to night mode, unless the headlights came on AFTER driving with the headlights off (i.e. transitioning from day-time to night-time during trip).
  • Limited number of apps supported.
Then I got the AA update:
PROS
  • Google Maps (best of all 3 options).
  • Many more apps available/supported.
CONS
  • Sometimes the interface will have issues.
  • Sometimes I have to unplug and replug my phone to have it detected.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Smartphone. I would use android auto if I could but I have Gen1. I have a great CD slot mount that is perfect for my phone.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I am looking forward to Bolt EV for Android Auto as well. I hate that my gen 1 has a nice useless touch screen. Anyone figure out how to tap into it yet?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice summary. Which will you use?
Currently, I am using my Android Auto, and I am using it daily. I use it for listening to audiobooks and to alert me to any traffic to and from work.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I picked other for Waze, far from perfect but the best out there in heavily populated cities...

A friend gave me an old iPhone, and I tried CarPlay:
Limited number of apps supported.
Then I got the AA update:
Many more apps available/supported.
Have you actually looked at the AA/CP app offerings? Almost all the optional apps are audio streaming which some aren't even free...All the app offerings are on your phone, CP/AA just puts a big button to open the app...I personally set it XM and cycle through my favorites Music/Sports/Stern...I suppose if you're the kind of person who during an hour drive, will cycle through audio books, to music, to talk radio on independent apps it would make sense but for most, have 40 audio streaming apps is not a benefit...Good poll, though!

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I specifically ordered my 2017 without Nav because I knew I would always have my iPhone on me. I've been using CarPlay since day 1 with zero issues that I see a lot of others having (disconnects, etc). My one complaint is that sometimes I feel like it isn't zoomed in enough so I can't tell how close I am to my next turn. Otherwise it has been great for me. I wasn't aware that it also synced with SXM traffic and weather. Is that something I need to turn on?

·
Registered
229 Posts
If waze integrated with Google now better, I would use it. I used to be a waze editor and used it back when the roads had pacman dots on it and you got points for driving down undriven roads.

I lost interest when the dots disappeared.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I don't know why anyone would pay for nav in any car when you have Google Maps right on your phone. Doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't know why anyone would pay for nav in any car when you have Google Maps right on your phone. Doesn't make sense to me.
Our car that friends and family drive when they're in town has built in nav.

I use Waze and Google Maps. My previous car had Nav, I never used it. Always my phone for better traffic and routing, voice search, etc etc.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Only two reasons that have been pointed out in the past, if you frequent dropped/weak cell signals...GPS is stronger and if you frequent somewhere where your cell phone doesn't always have a signal...Second being limited data which is more of head scratcher since you still have to have to Nav...Sounds like it's truly worse than cellphone based apps, I don't know if you have to pay for nav map updates or not...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I picked other for Waze, far from perfect but the best out there in heavily populated cities...

Have you actually looked at the AA/CP app offerings? Almost all the optional apps are audio streaming which some aren't even free...All the app offerings are on your phone, CP/AA just puts a big button to open the app...I personally set it XM and cycle through my favorites Music/Sports/Stern...I suppose if you're the kind of person who during an hour drive, will cycle through audio books, to music, to talk radio on independent apps it would make sense but for most, have 40 audio streaming apps is not a benefit...Good poll, though!
Primarily it is music on my phone, or Audiobooks through Audible or Overdrive. (If I remember correctly, either Audible or Overdrive, one of those doesn't work with CarPlay, but both work with Android Auto).

With Android Auto, I also respond to text messages, as well as WhatsApp and Kik (I can only do text messages, but not Kik or WhatsApp on iPhone).

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Only two reasons that have been pointed out in the past, if you frequent dropped/weak cell signals...GPS is stronger and if you frequent somewhere where your cell phone doesn't always have a signal...Second being limited data which is more of head scratcher since you still have to have to Nav...Sounds like it's truly worse than cellphone based apps, I don't know if you have to pay for nav map updates or not...
Agreed, and the built-in nav is more of a backup for me too, just in case I don't have signal or my phone decides to go crazy, or something.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I specifically ordered my 2017 without Nav because I knew I would always have my iPhone on me. I've been using CarPlay since day 1 with zero issues that I see a lot of others having (disconnects, etc). My one complaint is that sometimes I feel like it isn't zoomed in enough so I can't tell how close I am to my next turn. Otherwise it has been great for me. I wasn't aware that it also synced with SXM traffic and weather. Is that something I need to turn on?
The SXM traffic and weather ONLY works with the Built-in. Maps (within CarPlay) should be getting more up-to-date traffic information anyway.

·
Registered
921 Posts
No choice for dedicated GPS? My Garmin has lifetime map updates, and switches between antique/new cars just fine.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The larger screen of the Nav gives a better "lay of the land" view. Now I use both the Nav and Waze on longer trips because Waze shows where the cops are.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts