GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Short-time lurker and first-time poster. These forums have been a treasure-trove of information for me since I started thinking about getting, and subsequently leasing, a Chevy Volt. Thanks for everything, but there is one thing that I haven't found--I hope this is the right subforum to ask it in.

My Volt doesn't come with Navigation, so I've been using my smartphone for that. I have also paired up my smartphone with my car using Bluetooth. My issue is this: Imagine I'm driving down a route I know pretty well, but I have navigation going in case traffic's bad so that it can route me to a faster way. I'm listening to FM radio and enjoying the music when a turn is coming up. At this point, the radio stops and switches to Bluetooth, my phone says the instruction (sometimes through the phone's own speakers, and sometimes through the car--though if it's through the car, half the spoken directions are cut off), then the infotainment system stays on Bluetooth.

What I would like to happen: The smartphone navigation plays through the phone speakers, and the radio station plays continuously without interruption.

Of course, the easy solution is to turn off Bluetooth, but then I won't be able to answer calls through the car. The second solution is to mute the voice navigation, which I am doing now, but it would be nice to have voice navigation for those instances that I mentioned earlier--rerouting due to traffic.

Some relevant information: My car is MY2015. My phone is an iPhone 5s with iOS 9.2 installed. The navigation apps I use are either Google Maps or Waze. For Google Maps, I do have the "Play voice over Bluetooth" option checked OFF, and for Waze I have "Play sound to phone speaker" ON and "Prefer Bluetoothoff" OFF. Nevertheless, they both still interrupt the radio, and Waze still tries to play the voice navigation through Bluetooth.

Does anyone else have the same issues or have a fix? I've tried a quick search through the forums, but I've mostly read about people who wanted the interruption.

Thanks!
Drew

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Sorry. Drew, that no one seems to have an answer for you. I hate to see a post ignored so I posted a reply that is of no use to you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
This is driven by the way a particular phone connects and sends data. For my device turn by turn audio instructions never go through the vehicle speakers, however the hands free on the phone works fine and GPS maps are not disrupted. Your other option is to just use On-Star.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Short answer: I think you are out of luck.

Long answer: I also use my phone navigation in similar fashion. I prefer Waze for my daily commute traffic notifications. I have a Nexus 6 and use Tasker to automatically turn on Waze when the phone connects to the Volt's bluetooth. I keep Waze configured to play sound for 'Alerts only'. And like you, I configured Waze to play notifications through the phone speaker. However, although this works well, it does still pause whatever audio is playing through the sound system during a notification. To be honest, I don't mind it. So far, it has always resumed the car audio properly, and I kind of like that the silence draws my attention to the traffic alert. So, I think what you are experiencing is the expected behavior of the Volt audio system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone who responded. I did think I was out of luck, but then I was browsing through the Facebook group and saw someone who basically had the same problem as I did--anytime they used an app on their phone (stopped, of course!) that made sound, Bluetooth would take over and infotainment would stay there. The workaround that was given was to turn off Siri. I tested this on my car, and it seems to be the answer that I wanted--both navigation apps play through the iPhone speaker as I had set them to do, and the radio stays uninterrupted on the source it was on. I was worried that Siri was needed for the handsfree operation of the phone, but it seems to work as expected.

For reference, here is the Facebook post that I wrote about: facebook dot com /groups/chevyvoltowners/permalink/1108234235855867/ (can't posts URLs yet :p)

Thanks again, and Happy New Year,
Drew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts