GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First of all, I've searched various threads and I'm going to preface this post by asking not to reply with "why do you need your phone mounted with bluetooth" posts. Bluetooth isn't perfect, and I don't have navigation.

I couldn't find a solution I liked. I like it to be close to my hand for input purposes if needed. I liked the cubby area so my solution was to get a small 1/8" piece of lexan/plexiglass and use heavy duty outdoor double sided tape (Scotch brand) and then a flexible suction cup phone/gps mount to goto the plexiglass. The plexiglass is needed since the cubby area's plastic has a slight texture to it and the suction cup does not stay.

I have a large phone (Galaxy Note 2) so many of the phone mounts do not work. I actually got this one from Wal-Mart in the GPS section. It's advertised as a GPS/Phone mount. It adjusts very wide, so should even fit a Galaxy Mega.

It's in the perfect position. I can comfortably move the shifter from P to L with no issue, and it's very ergonomic.

20140824_185153 (Large).jpg
20140824_185245 (Large).jpg
20140824_185300 (Large).jpg
20140824_185547 (Large).jpg
20140824_185651 (Large).jpg .

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too far forward, and too pricey.

I mocked it up with tape and didnt like the positioning. Plus 30 bucks for the dash mount plus 35 to 75 for the device holder is ridiculous.
25 bucks for a universal mount that works with any phone or vehicle is much more economical. Plus it's literally exactly where I want it position wise.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have a satechi CD mount. Even though it covers a bunch of buttons, most of them aren't useful anyway.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Very clever. Nicely done.

I'm also using one of the CD slot mount (Mountek) like alchemy mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Interesting. I can see how having the phone on the right would make it easier to enter info or dial numbers.
I have my iphone mounted in the area to the left of the main display because i use it as a navigator mainly, mostly to monitor NoVA traffic jams so that I can go around them. It has stuck like glue for a year and it is really easy to mount the phone or to remove it. It uses a suction cup that doesn't seem to even notice the pebbled nature of that surface. It is the iOttie 104, and it only costs $15, but it wouldn't handle a phone as big as poor red necks tablet.
I wonder if I should remove it and clean the suction cup and the surface then remount it. It has been a year since I put it there. Nah, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, I guess.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have the black one of these.. i bought it off ebay for like 3 bucks a while back.. it works on any phone because its bendable.. i just slip my phone in it from the top, plug it into the charger and hang it off the rear view mirror.. i have mine twisted just slightly so it points the phone my directions and i can see the phone clearly and see directions without taking my eyes off the road..

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
None of this would be legal in Illinois if turned on, and that hanger on the mirror clearly isn't under any circumstances.

I'm really not sure why the phone is illegal, but sending the nav info via bluetooth wouldn't be.

(625 ILCS 5/12-610.2 new)
Sec. 12-610.2. Electronic communication devices.

(a) As used in this Section:
"Electronic communication device" means an electronic device, including but not limited to a wireless telephone, personal digital assistant, or a portable or mobile computer while being used for the purpose of composing, reading, or sending an electronic message, but does not include a global
positioning system or navigation system or a device that is physically or electronically integrated into the motor vehicle.

"Electronic message" means a self-contained piece of digital communication that is designed or intended to be transmitted between physical devices. "Electronic message" includes, but is not limited to electronic mail, a text message, an instant message, or a command or request to access an Internet site.

(b) A person may not operate a motor vehicle on a roadway while using an electronic communication device to compose, send, or read an electronic message.

(625 ILCS 5/12-604.1)
Sec. 12-604.1. Video devices.
(a) A person may not operate a motor vehicle if a television receiver, a video monitor, a television or video screen, or any other similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video signal that produces entertainment or business applications is operating and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of the driver's seat, or is operating and visible to the driver while driving the motor vehicle.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have an iOttie specifically for the Samsung Note 2 that I use in my Volt. I put it on the top dash just to the right of the instrument panel so that it sits at around 2 o'clock relative to the steering wheel. It is adjusted forward for maximum reach so that it's basically in line with the front of the center dash-top cubby, and I run the USB power line out of that and plug it in with about 8" worth of USB cable sitting out on the dash. It's within arm's reach but more importantly for me, Waze is basically a heads up display. I've driven with a similar setup like this for years here in TX and even with several stops by LEOs, it was never mentioned or given any attention. Obviously, state laws vary (radar detectors are another example where some states don't care and some states are very strict), but so long as you're using it like a nav unit, I can't imagine how they'd have much to say since it's in HANDS FREE mode in a freakin' dock, and if you had OEM nav, it'd be less than a foot away from where mine is (further from line of sight, actually, even for the OnStar turn-by-turn that pops up in the DIC). How's that "less safe" by any measure?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have an iOttie specifically for the Samsung Note 2 that I use in my Volt. I put it on the top dash just to the right of the instrument panel so that it sits at around 2 o'clock relative to the steering wheel. It is adjusted forward for maximum reach so that it's basically in line with the front of the center dash-top cubby, and I run the USB power line out of that and plug it in with about 8" worth of USB cable sitting out on the dash. It's within arm's reach but more importantly for me, Waze is basically a heads up display. I've driven with a similar setup like this for years here in TX and even with several stops by LEOs, it was never mentioned or given any attention. Obviously, state laws vary (radar detectors are another example where some states don't care and some states are very strict), but so long as you're using it like a nav unit, I can't imagine how they'd have much to say since it's in HANDS FREE mode in a freakin' dock, and if you had OEM nav, it'd be less than a foot away from where mine is (further from line of sight, actually, even for the OnStar turn-by-turn that pops up in the DIC). How's that "less safe" by any measure?
Could you provide a picture of your setup? It would be interesting to see how it looks

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have a neat solution I can post some pictures of tomorrow. I designed and 3D printed a custom mount that clamps around one of the side pillars of the centre console. It's a 'beta' version, and I plan on refining it and printing another one in the next few days. This one works well, but I want to make it prettier.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Took some pics of what I was talking about this morning. I had initially made it much more complex than it needs to be, so I snipped off some of the additional clip features I had added in to make it easier to insert/remove. I added some fuzzy tape from a velcro kit I had lying around to prevent the plastic from rubbing on the console and marking it up. Its positioned quite comfortably, and holds my Nexus 5 + case very securely. If anyone has a 3D printer, I can share the design files (modeled in Solid Edge), or the .stl files used for the 3D print. Note, I custom sized this form my case + phone, so it will probably need tweaking for your phone.

If anyone is interested, I can post the final design with pics when I finish it (busy at work, so it may not be for a few days). Also, I want to print the final version in black, but all I have is white and red, so it looks a bit kooky :)

20140828_075155[1]__1409232609_208.32.237.30.jpg 20140828_075244[1]__1409232637_208.32.237.30.jpg 20140828_075317[1]__1409232661_208.32.237.30.jpg

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cool design, but with the smart phone in place does the arm bounce much?

·
Registered
1 Posts
CD Slot Mount

I wrestled with this same issue. Finally found a decent solution similar to what others have posted with the CD mount. I have an iPhone 5s in a LifeProof case so fairly bulky. This works well for the money and doesn't really interfere with any critical buttons. It is in a nice place to view/use as well. The plastic used also kind of matches the smooth black plastic above the nav. Last nice feature about this one is that when the phone is not in the holder it has a fairly low profile. No affiliation. Just happy with the purchase.

Koomus CD-Eco Universal CD Slot Smartphone Car Mount Holder
http://amzn.com/B00JP0RTB4

·
Registered
585 Posts
Cool design, but with the smart phone in place does the arm bounce much?
Hi HAL, no I don't find it bounces around at all. The corner of the phone case kind of rests against the base of the console and prevents that. My phone case is a 'booklet' style with a cloth cover, so the part of the case that rests on the console is made from a denim-like material. One of the things I want to incorporate into the next version is something that locks in place a bit better around the console and allows the mount to carry the weight of the phone fully.

I actually have 2 phones (one for work, one personal). I like using the 'mygreenvolt' app (wish I found that before purchasing torque pro), and on my work phone I want to run Waze, but I dont have a good idea for how to mount both phones yet. I'm sure I'll find something. 3D printers are awesome for stuff like this (luckily I have one at work!).

·
Registered
387 Posts
I wrestled with this same issue. Finally found a decent solution similar to what others have posted with the CD mount. I have an iPhone 5s in a LifeProof case so fairly bulky. This works well for the money and doesn't really interfere with any critical buttons. It is in a nice place to view/use as well. The plastic used also kind of matches the smooth black plastic above the nav. Last nice feature about this one is that when the phone is not in the holder it has a fairly low profile. No affiliation. Just happy with the purchase.

Koomus CD-Eco Universal CD Slot Smartphone Car Mount Holder
http://amzn.com/B00JP0RTB4
It certainly looks slimmer than my Satechi cd mount. With my mount it either presses against the volume know preventing that from turning or if I flip it upside down, it pressed against the tune knob preventing that from turning. I may buy your cd mount for the volt and move my existing mount to one of my other cars where the cd has nothing near it allowing unobstructed use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts