GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone here get the Volt advisor survey about SmartMode?

Effectively, this is an efficiency guidance "app" that can take your planned route, determine speeds along the way and switch modes between Hold and Normal along the way to arrive with the most efficiency (I always believe it is best to arrive just as your last kWh expires). GM mentioned in the survey it can increase efficiency by 20%. I would say maybe 10% but I've monkeyed with modes a few times and with a hot engine factored in, start/stop logic could allow for doing the changes from Normal to Hold mode automatically to factor in highway speeds, hills and so on (hills if they properly have elevations within the GPS data). Hills are important to factor in to get the most efficiency factors.

I've done over 40mpg and 50 electric miles using "mountain mode" tricks on a 110 mile round trip I do once a month. And it doesn't take more than a couple button pushes along the way. Keep in mind that this is a 2011 Gen-1. I'm running on original 2011 tires so since they are "winding down" in wear - their circumference is slightly less than when new, so more efficiency is "perceived" by a little bit.

I think GM wants to charge a fee for an optional SmartMode feature. But I believe Volts should have it included for free to bring in new buyers who know that their car works not only as an electric car - but also with SmartMode to manage highest efficiency for them on longer EREV trips.

SmartMode is logic necessary for bigger vehicles to utilize Voltec-type drivetrains to operate in most-efficient modes. Getting it working in Volts via software updates (Gen-2 only, I expect) would make sense to get driver feedback before newer vehicle models hit the highway.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I've had a couple of emails from OnStar offering the service, but I didn't pay much attention.

Sounds interesting, but I'm not sure I would use it.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
No results found in my email. But, I don't have a GenII either, so, may not be in the target group.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Was reviewing a recent Tesla Model X owner's post. Was complaining that the estimated miles seemed fine when starting a trip. But highway speeds of 75mph caused range to drop fast. Complained of arriving with far fewer miles left than expected. A type of range anxiety. I suppose it is even more important for a BEV to have "look ahead" computation of expected range based on planned route. However, why not use similar logic for an EREV to maximize efficiency.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Was reviewing a recent Tesla Model X owner's post. Was complaining that the estimated miles seemed fine when starting a trip. But highway speeds of 75mph caused range to drop fast. Complained of arriving with far fewer miles left than expected. A type of range anxiety. I suppose it is even more important for a BEV to have "look ahead" computation of expected range based on planned route. However, why not use similar logic for an EREV to maximize efficiency.
It'd only work if the car knows what kind of driving is expected. In-car nav used or historical guessing based on prior trips. (And once you start with that kind of thing, the "OMG it's tracking me!" loonies start scuttling for the woodwork.)

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is software only. Imagine you put in a 120 mile drive ahead of you. Nav route is computed. It sees the highway and off-highway stretches. You offer yes or no if end point has charging. Then as you drive, it would switch in and out of Hold mode as needed to achieve better overall mpg. For me, it would do what I normally do for loner trips, but some people are not focused as much on optimizing their trip. I bet it could be of some benefit. But some drivers, like the GE fleet crowd who turned in their Volts with 34 mpg lifetime cannot be helped much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts