·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't researched this car that much but wondered why the gas mileage is so poor. This tiny, golf cart sized car has a fairly aerodynamic shape so why is this thing not getting good gas mileage? Did Daimler AG over design this sucker and make it too heavy?
That is a huge criticism of this vehicle and I do not know the reason. I get the same MPG (42) in my Passat TDI. The shifting is also grinding and I think it's a complete bomb in Europe. BUT, if they place batteries in it, it'd completely change the deal. A competitor to the MiEV and suburu's lineup. I'd entertain buying one, plus no gear or MPG issues.

·
Banned
968 Posts
I haven't researched this car that much but wondered why the gas mileage is so poor. This tiny, golf cart sized car has a fairly aerodynamic shape so why is this thing not getting good gas mileage? Did Daimler AG over design this sucker and make it too heavy?
It looks dinky but it's still a full 5 feet tall (4" taller than a Volvo 240)and a full five feet wide. And I'd guess that shape isn't quite as aero as you might hope.

To make matters worse, if I recall correctly, the Smart requires premium (checking... yep).

·
Registered
157 Posts
In Canada this vehicle has been around for some three years now. The mileage has gone down with the 2008 model year as compared to previous years. The previous models offered a smaller turbo diesel motor which had much better fuel economy numbers. Unfortunetely because of the decision to sell in the US they have taken away the diesel for a regular gasoline engine.

The Smart does have a very box, flat front end and it probably doesn't do to well in drag coefficient studies. When all is said and done it has been a pretty strong seller in Canada and my girlfriend and I are actually going to take a look at one tonight to replace her older vehicle.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
An electric Smart might help. As it is, there is little incentive for most any Americans to buy the Smart. It is the highest mileage car available in the States but...

2008 Smart Fortwo $11,590 EPA 33/41 Combined 36
2008 Hyundai Accel 3 Door $10,775 EPA 27/32 Combined 29
2008 Toyota Yaris 3 Door $11,550 EPA 29/36 Combined 32

Considering the last two cost less to buy, cost less to maintain and you can bring some friends with you, most Americans will give up a little mileage for the benifits. This is also the reason why the car has largely been a failure in Europe too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An electric Smart might help. As it is, there is little incentive for most any Americans to buy the Smart. It is the highest mileage car available in the States but...

2008 Smart Fortwo $11,590 EPA 33/41 Combined 36
2008 Hyundai Accel 3 Door $10,775 EPA 27/32 Combined 29
2008 Toyota Yaris 3 Door $11,550 EPA 29/36 Combined 32

Considering the last two cost less to buy, cost less to maintain and you can bring some friends with you, most Americans will give up a little mileage for the benifits. This is also the reason why the car has largely been a failure in Europe too.
I'd pay tripple for a BEV to stick it to OPEC. There are lots like me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts