GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
3,689 Posts

This is going to be a very popular product if they get the price low enough. They have been talking about this for a long time but I still don't see any firm plans. This article just adds more rumors. Does anyone have a link to the actual company announcement? It seems they have not even decided on the battery technology. If not, they cannot be that close to full production. Full production will require a very close relationship with a battery manufacture and they need to already have a pre-production pack in testing. Moving to volume production for a car like this will take a long time. With all that said, I look forward to seeing this car zipping along our roads. Very nice design and is said to be quite safe and extremely easy to park (you can park sideways in the same space as another car!

Did you know that you can buy a Chinese rip-off design of the smart electric car called the Flybo today? It still uses lead-acid batteries but will be adding a lithium-ion pack as soon as possible:

http://evreport.com/2008/07/21/flybo-kickin-it-maui-style/

·
Registered
136 Posts
Mercedes head guy, Dieter Zetsche, announced the date in an interveiw on Saturday with a German paper (please don't make me look it up). Interestingly, he said the price would depend on whether or not they go with a lease model or not.

The Flybo is only allowed to do 25 mph regardless of what kind of batteries it uses since it hasn't, nor would it be able to, pass American crash standards.

·
3,689 Posts
Mercedes head guy, Dieter Zetsche, announced the date in an interveiw on Saturday with a German paper (please don't make me look it up). Interestingly, he said the price would depend on whether or not they go with a lease model or not.

The Flybo is only allowed to do 25 mph regardless of what kind of batteries it uses since it hasn't, nor would it be able to, pass American crash standards.

OK, I found the article:

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Jun08/20_001206_Daimler_CEO_Dieter_Zetsche_Discusses_Plans_To_Launch_An_Electric_Mercedes_Benz_Model_In_2010.html

Yes, the Flybo is a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) but you can drive 25 mph all electric (it can do 40 mph for those who are handy...) today or you can wait another 2 or 3 years to get the Smart EV. Would be a great second car for running to the supermarket and the like. Plus, it only costs around $10,000 to $13,000! If you had solar panels on your roof and the price of gas gets to $8 a gallon then you can see it easily paying for itself in a very short time. Not to mention the maintenance would be almost nothing.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I found the article:

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/Jun08/20_001206_Daimler_CEO_Dieter_Zetsche_Discusses_Plans_To_Launch_An_Electric_Mercedes_Benz_Model_In_2010.html

Yes, the Flybo is a NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) but you can drive 25 mph all electric (it can do 40 mph for those who are handy...) today or you can wait another 2 or 3 years to get the Smart EV. Would be a great second car for running to the supermarket and the like. Plus, it only costs around $10,000 to $13,000! If you had solar panels on your roof and the price of gas gets to $8 a gallon then you can see it easily paying for itself in a very short time. Not to mention the maintenance would be almost nothing.
Why risk driving a vehicle that you can't register (esecially in Ohio), not to mention a knock-off.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Because early adopters blaze the trail for the rest of us. If everyone sat back and used the old technology policies would never progress to accommodate all the new owners. We the people...
So what color is yours?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Wow! Total scam! It's a Flybo NEV yet the VIN is from A Smart Car. I think I even know who the guy behind this is. I wonder how difficult it would be to explain the situation to the Sheriffs Dept in Shepardsville.

·
Registered
365 Posts
"Smart" (or dumb?) Mison Eco-E (BEV)

Wow! Total scam! It's a Flybo NEV yet the VIN is from A Smart Car. I think I even know who the guy behind this is. I wonder how difficult it would be to explain the situation to the Sheriffs Dept in Shepardsville.[/QUOTE]

It's either a chinese "Flybo" or an asian car maker exporting clones of clones!

I emailed the seller via EBay and late today their EBay auction ad was "revised". It's now called a "Mison Eco-E" (aka Flybo?) made somewhere in Asia, uses lead acid batteries and, according to their ad, street legal up to 50 mph. It's not a Mercedes product or Mercedes Smart ForTwo. Their revised ad includes a chart comparing the specs of their "Mison Eco-E" with a Mercedes Smart ForTwo. So far no bidders.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Total scam! It's a Flybo NEV yet the VIN is from A Smart Car. I think I even know who the guy behind this is. I wonder how difficult it would be to explain the situation to the Sheriffs Dept in Shepardsville.

It's either a chinese "Flybo" or an asian car maker exporting clones of clones!

I emailed the seller via EBay and late today their EBay auction ad was "revised". It's now called a "Mison Eco-E" (aka Flybo?) made somewhere in Asia, uses lead acid batteries and, according to their ad, street legal up to 50 mph. It's not a Mercedes product or Mercedes Smart ForTwo. Their revised ad includes a chart comparing the specs of their "Mison Eco-E" with a Mercedes Smart ForTwo. So far no bidders.[/QUOTE]

Well, some poor sucker is likely to get drilled in these days of high oil prices. Too good to be true. Feel free to report them to eBay. If their product was as advertised, they wouldn't need eBay and would be making millions...

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a reasonable probability of being caught dead in that "thing" if you were to drive it. . . :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts