GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This link speaks of GM announcing a smaller gas tank on the volt.

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/gm-shrinks-chevy-volts-gas-tan.html

What I am wondering about is this a move to squeeze a few more miles out of the 40 mile range or is this simply a logical decision. I had thought 600 mile range extension was a bit much. To be honest I don't know many people who want to drive 600 miles straight lol.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This link speaks of GM announcing a smaller gas tank on the volt.

http://techblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2008/07/gm-shrinks-chevy-volts-gas-tan.html

What I am wondering about is this a move to squeeze a few more miles out of the 40 mile range or is this simply a logical decision. I had thought 600 mile range extension was a bit much. To be honest I don't know many people who want to drive 600 miles straight lol.
I agree. Driving that far on gas seems to go against the whole point of a PHEV. And 360 miles is plenty of range. That's about what I get in my Civic now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm personally not good for more than 300 miles per day. I've done 400 down from SFO in one shot and didn't particularly like it. Normally when I drive up/from North I'll stop at someplace like Morrow Bay or San Simeon. Vegas from LA, at 270 miles, is a perfect days drive to me.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I drive to Canada, 900 mile one way trip in 13 hours in a day. Including refueling twice and eating along the way.

I dream of never having to stop to refuel. But that trip happens only once every three years when I visit my kin.

·
3,689 Posts
I drive to Canada, 900 mile one way trip in 13 hours in a day. Including refueling twice and eating along the way.

I dream of never having to stop to refuel. But that trip happens only once every three years when I visit my kin.

That is a good scenario to just rent a car for the trip. You will save on wear on your car and you can get a vehicle that will suit your driving style for that one trip. You will not have to then endure the compromises you made for the three years worth of driving.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
That is a good scenario to just rent a car for the trip. You will save on wear on your car and you can get a vehicle that will suit your driving style for that one trip. You will not have to then endure the compromises you made for the three years worth of driving.
The most important detail, we fail to pass. I need to use my car to deduct the mileage from my business trip as well. I am also visiting potential clients. And 1,800 miles round trip is a large chunk of tax deduction. It would be a paltry tax savings if I only deducted my car rental and gasoline. As a bonus, I get to visit my kin, :D

·
Banned
968 Posts
We routinely put in 700+ mile days, occasionally hitting 800 or even 900. We do stop every couple hours but being able to stop and not fuss with fuel every time is a plus.

The range of your Volt isn't the battery charge plus "depletion mode" mpg times the size of the tank; you won't be comfortable driving to the last ounce. The practical range of the Volt will be less than 300 miles. Without the initial charge (e.g., on a trip without access to a plug), the practical range of the Volt might drop to less than 250 miles. Remember that your range also drops when using the A/C, heater or defroster. Rain or snow will cut your range, too.

The most critical factor in the design of the vehicle for maximum EV range is the aerodynamics. 5 gallons of fuel is about 30 pounds. This also cuts perhaps 10 pounds from the tank. Losing 40 pounds of weight will get a nearly negligible increase in EV range.

Cutting the tank by 5 gallons drops the overall range by a LOT while improving the EV range negligibly. A Prius will go a LOT further on a tank. I'd like to know why the fuel tank size is so important.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think I recall it wasn't weight so much as space. The battery bank took up so much space in the Volt's central protected area that there just wasn't much left for the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Don't know about the accuracy of this statement from the link:

"The target now is to travel 360 miles after the initial charge wears off rather than 600."

Rated for 360 miles highway on gas only would be fine. Sure some people would prefer more, but this is inline with many gas cars.

From what I read GM didn't say much about what the driving (no pun) factors of their decision were other than that 600 miles range didn't seem that important to the success of the vehicle. Remember, they were planning on 2 separate saddle tanks and changed it to one. Two tanks, two sending units, etc. I think it was a cost issue as well as a space issue. Any range contribution was just minor gravy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts