GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the volt is great and I plan to get one but im a fan of trucks. id really like a light duty electric truck like the s10 or rangers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I totally agree. I drive a 2004 Colorado Crew Cab because it fits my needs very nicely. If GM made an E-Flex pickup of that size with the same towing and hauling capacity, I'd buy it instead of the Volt. In the meantime I will hopefully get a Volt in 2010 and keep my Colorado for the weekend and winter driving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just traded my 05 Tacoma quad cab in March for an 08 Camry hybrid. For the # of times I used it as a truck I couldn't justify 16mpg (I do mostly city driving). I like the Camry a lot (fully loaded w/ nav, leather and the works) but I miss the trucks 4x4 drive in the winter when we get 2 feet over night and I need to get to work. Plus no one really ever cut me off in the truck <evil grin>

I'll be getting a Volt next when the price is below 35k but I'd perfer a truck really.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
In time as batteries become more energy dense, pick ups will come in E-Rev form I'm sure. Until then, hopefully either Ford, GM or Chrysler will produce a compact truck (we used to call them mini pickups, but I don't really know what to call them now) in 2-Mode hybrid or probably even better, a direct injection turbo diesel. I suspect this will happen soon.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
VIA Targets First Electric Truck Sales for 2014. VIA Motors expects to sell its first extended-range electric-vehicles starting in 2014, President Alan Perriton tells WardsAuto.

The first units likely will be Chevrolet Express cargo vans purchased from General Motors and modified by VIA at its Stockton, CA, facility. Next in line are Chevy Silverado extended-cab pickups. The Orem, UT-based company also is working longer term on an electric version of the Chevy Suburban SUV, named the Presidential.
http://wardsauto.com/sales-amp-marketing/targets-first-electric-truck-sales-2014

·
8,680 Posts
Would love to have Votec Equinox...perhaps more batteries for longer e-driving. Tesla is rumored to be coming out with a small electric SUV.
If you mean the Model X, it is neither rumor nor small. Tesla is quite public about their intention to build it, though it won't be in production for a couple years. They have been taking deposits for some time, and have a substantial waiting list assembled.

However, from what I've seen/read it's going to be pretty much a taller Model S (plus the fancy "falcon" doors) - a medium-large SUV that they think can take the top end of the CUV and minivan markets from what I've read.

(The model S is 196 inches long, almost two feet longer than a Volt - similar to an E class, if a little shorter than an S class or Crown Victoria. From that and the pictures, I'm thinking the Model X is more Explorer than Escape - even the new much larger Escape. It probably won't get into the supersize Expedition-Tahoe range, though.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts