GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....new to the forum, hope this is in the right spot and someone has some insight.

2014 Chevy Volt just leased a month ago.
I charge with the plug that came with the car, usually at 12 amps, on a dedicated 15 amp outlet.

The car is charging fine, but I'm having a little issue with the delayed charging. My super off peak hours are from 12am - 6am, so I set the departure time to 6am....hoping to get the most charging done in that window. The last couple days I've noticed that when I switch to 12 amp it does not change the estimated charge start time anymore. So the last few nights it started charging around 10pm and ended around 3am (this I know from looking at my solar monitoring, it shows power usage in 15 minute sections). What it looks like to me is it's starting the charge based on 8 amp, but it's still charging 12 amps. Any one have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks

3,600 Posts
ThatDrunkGuy,

Interesting charging dilemma. It’s odd that it stopped charging in only five hours; was it already partially charged? Is there a full charge every morning? You could try setting up the charge based on off-peak times with a ten-hour window for a bit of a work around also.

If you’d like us to troubleshoot some more you can always give us a call or post some more details for our community to help!

Ryan, Electric Vehicle Advisor Team
Volt Line: 877-486-5846
Spark EV Line: 855-477-2754
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, we had only used around 15-20 miles on the days that I noticed. Last night the charging screen said the charge would start around 11pm, but when I switched from 8 amp to 12 amp....the charge time did not reduce like it normally would the previous 3 weeks. So I can't tell if it just won't switch to 12 amp, or it just won't show me that it is. Very odd. Either way I want the car charge to start as late as possible to do all charging between 12am-6am if possible.

...and yes we have a full charge in the morning.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you set it to departure time it will calculate the start time. In your case it should be starting around 9PM if the battery is depleted.

Easier just to tell it to only charge between 12 and 6 AM if that is what you want.

If you get a level 2 charger it will always be able to get a full 10+ kWh charge between those times. With a level 1 charger you will never get more than about a 7kWh charge during those 6 hours.

120vacX12ampsX0.85efficiencyX6hours=7.34kWh

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm happy with the level 1 charger for now. When we eventually get a 2nd electric car I'll get an electrician to set me up on fast charging. I don't want to limit the car to just those six hours, because sometimes we do need a full charge. The previous 3 weeks it was choosing the correct start time for ending at 6am, but this last week things have been off. Starting and finishing early.....and I'm not sure why. Just wanted to see if any others have noticed this.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Just a guess here ... Could your time zone or clock time changed? I have not experienced your problem but I have the volt set to only charge off peak and not on time of departure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah thanks, clock settings are fine. Here is a vid...could help to see what I mean.

Here is a pic of my power monitoring. You can see the charge ended last night at about 3:15 am instead of 6am.

3,600 Posts
ThatDrunkGuy,

Another question and possible solution for you; are you changing the charge level preference (8amps to 12amps) after you are already plugged in? If so, changing the preference prior to plugging in should resolve the issue.

Let us know if the problem continues or if this works!

Ryan, Electric Vehicle Advisor Team
Volt Line: 877-486-5846
Spark EV Line: 855-477-2754
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm....good question. I don't remember. I'll try only selecting before plugging in the next few days just to be sure. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Ian, Ryan has a valid question. In the 2013 Volt manual, page 5-32, it states: "For some vehicles, the Charge Level Preference must be updated prior to the vehicle being charged and the Charge Level Preference will reset to a default value when the vehicle is shifted from P (Park)." In fact, re-reading pages 5-30 through 5-39 (2013 Volt manual) will be especially helpful.

Also, are you SURE you have programmed the peak, off peak and "super-off-peak" settings correctly? I thought I had my Spark EV set correctly, but then one night I noticed it was charging and the Volt wasn't. I find programming the settings is pretty confusing. ...and I'm a computer programmer!

What electric company are you on? Sounds like you are on a time-of-use plan. Double-check all the settings in the Volt:

Charge Mode (Immediate, Delayed w/ departure time, or Delayed w/ rate & departure time.)
Electric Rate Schedule (Peak, Mid-Peak, Off-Peak times)
Charge Rate Preference (Charge during Peak, Mid-Peak, Off-Peak -- anytime, mid-and-off-Pk, or Off-pk-only?)
Electric Rate Plan (Summer/Winter or Yearly)
Summer Start & Winter Start

Also note, that if you play around, unplugging and plugging back in, it will switch to charging immediately. To prevent that, you have to un-plug at least for something like 30 seconds.

Another tip: If it determines that there isn't enough time to charge fully during the off-peak time, it will start charging immediately during mid-peak rates, but then stop and wait for the off-peak time once the battery is charged enough to finish only during off-peak times.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, thanks...I did not see that statement in the 2014 manual.....hoping that is all it is. I'll know in a couple days for sure....because I didn't pay attention to whether it was plugged in or not.

Socal Edison and yes TOU plan with EV.....so 12-6 is super off peak(unlimited usage at 9 cents a KW). I have all the rates scheduled right, but I go with departure time only. That way it can start whenever it wants to finish at 6am. I was just worried with these few days were it would start and finish early. If always selecting amps before plugging in is the solution I'll be happy. :)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
If SoCalEd is like PG&E, you get the lowest off-peak times at more times during the weekend. By not using the Departure Time only mode, I don't think it will use those available Sat/Sun daytime periods. ...it's cool to see it charging, then stopping and restarting at those weekend rate change points.

I set my departure time at 7, so if it doesn't fully charge at off-peak, it will still use the mid-peak period to finish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just want to thank everyone.....it looks like plugging in before setting amps was the problem. I didn't realize I was doing it, but that must be it.....when I select before plugging in there is no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts