GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every once in a while I drive past my local Chevy dealer here in Salt Lake to see how many Volts they have. I've only seen 1 gen 2 volt this year. I don't think it was on the lot more than a week. I'm pretty sure they could sell every Volt they could get in pretty quickly. They just don't seem to get any in. I would take dismal sales reports with a grain of salt, since there aren't any Volts to buy.

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
637 Posts
My local dealer says the same thing, can't get enough Volts in and they don't last long when they do get a shipment.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I haven't seen a Gen 2 yet, if I want one I have to drive up to 250 miles. I am in an area with several EVs, not like it is an EV free area.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well -- the one I ordered (TPW of 5/30/16) will count as a sale in June when I take delivery, so add that to whatever list :)

There's really only one Volt dealership in all of Dallas Fort Worth (they apparently move a lot because I put in an order and they had allocation available instantly) -- there are tons of Chevy dealers local to me, but 9 out of 10 of them don't care, or carry the volt. *shrugs*

Even for being a big volume dealer of volts, they had none on the lot that were available to test drive (all sold) so the salesmen let me drive his personal Gen2 around for a bit, I was sold :)

I've never seen or ridden in a Gen1 -- but the 2nd gen models are damn nice. Even more so from my perspective since I'm coming from a bottom of the barrel Kia Rio. I won't know what to do with power windows and locks, and holy crap I'll have cruise control!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I just think long gone are the days where you show up the dealer not knowing what you want...If you're going there for a truck, SUV or Camaro, very low odds you'll "defect" over to Volt...I think the only "defectors" are the Cruze or the Malibu but you still need the salesman to push them towards the Volt which is through multiple reports isn't happening...In fact it's quite the opposite, you tell the dealer you want a Volt and often they'll steer you towards the Malibu...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
We had an EV display at a Maker Faire yesterday.
Wonderful event, tons of people. Two people showed up with a second gen Volt, which was awesome.

Another current Volt owner was talking with me about how they were still waiting for theirs. Dealers in the area generally have ONE.
Until GM can deliver these in larger numbers, I don't see sales improving all that much.

We also had Nissan and BMW dealers there giving test drives in the Leaf and i3. It would have been nice to have a Chevy dealer there as well (yes, they were invited).

·
Registered
253 Posts

I've never seen or ridden in a Gen1 -- but the 2nd gen models are damn nice. Even more so from my perspective since I'm coming from a bottom of the barrel Kia Rio. I won't know what to do with power windows and locks, and holy crap I'll have cruise control!
Modern technology is amazing. Just wait until you get a house with indoor plumbing and 'lectricity !!! ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Every once in a while I drive past my local Chevy dealer here in Salt Lake to see how many Volts they have. I've only seen 1 gen 2 volt this year.
Not sure which dealer you're referring to, but this dealer in SLC has 4 Volts in stock:
http://www.seinerchevy.com/all-inventory/index.htm?listingConfigId=AUTO-new%2CAUTO-used&compositeType=&year=&make=Chevrolet&model=Volt&bodyStyle=&odometer=&internetPrice=&start=0&sort=&facetbrowse=true&searchLinkText=SEARCH&showInvTotals=false&showRadius=false&showReset=false&showSubmit=true&facetbrowseGridUnit=BLANK&showSelections=true&dependencies=model%3Amake%2Ccity%3Aprovince%2Ccity%3Astate&suppressAllConditions=compliant

I'm also not sure how you can see how many Volts they have in stock driving by unless it's a particularly small dealership. Also, many dealerships have off site lots, so you might not be able to see all the cars they have anyway.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
There's one Premier on a lot within reasonable driving distance. The local dealer had one that I got a look at before it was delivered to the customer who ordered it. Outside of CARB/rebate states, I don't think GM has any sense of urgency about building an inventory. Salesman told me he's not expecting any in the near future and it's not because he doesn't want to stock a few. Just can't get them.

·
Registered
440 Posts
There aren't many Gen 2's available around my area. My dealer got one in and sold it quickly. They just got another a couple of weeks ago that hasn't sold as of yet. There is only one other dealer that shows to have one in stock.

This is a fairly EV friendly area so I can see them selling well once they become readily available.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The salesperon I worked with when getting my ELR told me he was hoping that GM didn't advertise the Volt 2.0. In his mind it was a waste of time because there was enough demand and understanding about the Volt to sustain sales at the level of production for a year or two.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
That's the nature of advertising...Brings the product/service to the top of your mind...I know there are a lot of former Prius and Leaf owners but I believe they should go after the compact sedan market...Looking at a Civic or Corolla? Why not at least look at the Volt?

·
Registered
677 Posts
There is a lot of them on the lots here in Southern California...

·
Registered
253 Posts
There is a lot of them on the lots here in Southern California...
To the bean counters at Gm Corporate they are still essentially compliance vehicles.

No sense selling in non-CARB states, while there are "credits" to be earned.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I know there are a lot of former Prius and Leaf owners
And many of those Leaf owners are unhappy. My dental hygienist, smart and green as they come, said she would never buy another Leaf nor recommend one. I've steered her to the 2016 Volt, which she was barely conscious of (naturally). She and her husband may buy one when her Leaf lease expires in June.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
And many of those Leaf owners are unhappy. My dental hygienist, smart and green as they come, said she would never buy another Leaf nor recommend one. I've steered her to the 2016 Volt, which she was barely conscious of (naturally). She and her husband may buy one when her Leaf lease expires in June.
Coworker of mine sort of did the same yet got divorced so many can contribute it more to a "divorce car" vs hating the Leaf (he loved to brag about the no charge to charge) ended up getting a Mustang convertible...lol

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dealers in NH

I have two dealers in my area with a total of 13 Volts between them. I'll be investigating which dealers in the state really are committed to the Volt and which are just typical ICE pushers.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
radx4, although I said I "drive by" I actually turn in and drive through the lot. If there were any Volts on the lot I would see them. Also, does the web site tell you what year the Volt is or that it's just a Volt? Web site inventories don't seem very reliable to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts