GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my younger days I used to take many summer road-trips South – and pull over and sleep in the car. But I really couldn't sleep because it was too hot and humid! Couldn't leave the windows open (Bugs!) - (And I wasn't about to leave the AC (and engine on) and DIE!

So I wonder – if the Volt was pretty much fully charged, how long could the AC keep the interior at say 74 degrees during for example an 84 degree night (until the ICE started and woke me up)?

·
8,680 Posts
74 degrees during an 84 degree night with no sun load? Probably all night on a little over half the battery. The car idles at around 400 watts, with HVAC on top of that - but with no sun and only a ten degree difference, I'm thinking it'll only hit the compressor occasionally for a few hundred watts. If the average was 700W, that'd give you 15 hours on the battery.

I wouldn't bet on the ICE waking you when it does start - it'll run intermittently at 1400 rpm when stopped and won't make much noise.

Ideally, you'd find an outlet to plug in to - under the conditions you described even 110V 8A should be able to keep up with the car. (If you do this, make sure to turn the car off after plugging in, then back on. It won't start to charge if plugged in and left on.)

·
4,860 Posts
Why would leaving the engine on cause you to die?

If the vehicle us parked outdoors and the windows are up, how could there be a concern?

With the Volt, even if the engine eventually comes on, it will only be for a few minutes, and then it will turn back off again for half an hour or so.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Mathematically, The usable battery is 10.5 kwh/ AC running while parked ~1kw = ~10 hours of comfy sleepy time. Enjoy!

And like you said if you start this sleep time with the battery not topped, the worst that can happen is you might feel the the engine cycling on and off. When you expect that, leave it in 'recirc' and point it into the wind.

Heck yeah ! Rearrange the load, flop down one of the back seats, add pillows and a sleeping bag pad and you might have a good nights sleep in comfort !!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
You don't sleep in a car with the engine running because even a very small exhaust leak into the cabin will kill you.

You must sleep lightly, the engine coming on probably wouldn't wake me.

But yeah, I suspect in ECO low fan with no sun load it would last 6-8 hours pretty easy.

On a hot day with a good sun load in Comfort mode it will last ~4 hours. Interestingly, the highest amount of battery consumed in a single charge for me has been doing exactly that, my 2012 gets 10.5 to 10.7kWh before the genset comes on. I never get over 10kWh just driving.

With TOU electricity it's a LOT cheaper to sit in the car for a bit in the afternoon to cool off than run the house AC.

·
Registered
524 Posts
In my younger days I used to take many summer road-trips South – and pull over and sleep in the car. But I really couldn't sleep because it was too hot and humid! Couldn't leave the windows open (Bugs!) - (And I wasn't about to leave the AC (and engine on) and DIE!

So I wonder – if the Volt was pretty much fully charged, how long could the AC keep the interior at say 74 degrees during for example an 84 degree night (until the ICE started and woke me up)?

Great video! How did you Photoshop the MPG? Amazing!

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I'm planning on doing a bit of Volt camping. Working on a way to fill the space between the folded down rear seat and the pulled forward front seat. That should provide just the right amount of space to lay down in the back. That's project for another weekend.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm planning on doing a bit of Volt camping. Working on a way to fill the space between the folded down rear seat and the pulled forward front seat. That should provide just the right amount of space to lay down in the back. That's project for another weekend.
Someone posted a while ago that a commonly available cooler works perfectly for this. I don't recall the brand/model, maybe search the forum or measure the height needed and head to Walmart.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Haven't slept in the Volt yet, but I did lie down in it before one of my test drives, just to see how much room there is.

For my height, you do have to fill in space between the pushed forward front seat

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
The Prius people have a good head start. I've been checking out some of their write-ups for ideas.

http://www.nagelphotography.com/blog/2012/8/prius-camping--new-improved
http://priuschat.com/threads/worlds-most-efficient-rv-mods-for-sleeping-in-back-of-prius-three.130232/
http://priuschat.com/threads/make-a-prius-rear-sleeping-bed-platform-for-two-step-by-step-walk-thru.110171/
http://suanneonline.blogspot.com/p/why-prius-rv.html
http://priuschat.com/threads/the-official-prius-camping-and-road-tripping-thread.124874/

The wife and I usually take a week each summer to go backpacking. Since we camp under the camper shell in our pickup, we already have most of the required gear, such as cook stove, magnetic window screens, etc.

I'll see what I can do and report back. The idea of sleeping with the A/C on at night feels like cheating... but would be required this time of year in Texas. The lows barely drop below 80.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Slightly off topic, the Volt is the best hot weather car I have ever had. Not having a hot ICE shedding heat under the hood really works. The car cools in in a matter of minutes. Wonderful.

1,214 Posts
(Ed. The legendary EV Promoter Chelsea Sexton asked for write ups on heavy duty, non driving, EV uses.
This was for a twitter infograph. Sorry bout the all caps.)

The Amazing Chevy Volt- Heavy Duty Use- 110/120V Vs 240V Plugged In

1) VolterHome 2) Remote Office Voltec 3) Portable HVAC
4) Remote Escape PodVolt

1) Volt As VolterHome- 110/120V

August, 2012- 98° At 10:30Pm. Camp Ground Sweltering. Volt Charging on 110/120V. Left Hot Tent- Booted Up Volt- Air Conditioner Set Eco- Fan On 1st Setting- All Vents On- Laptop Plugged Into 12V- Radio On-

-Slept Like A Baby- 72° Temps Rest Of Night- Fully Charged Volt High Voltage Battery By 8:30Am! All Electric/ All Night-

2) Volt As Remote Office Voltec- 110/120V

Three Weeks Ago-34° Outside Temps-To Much Shouting In My Office- Volt Out Back Plugged Into 110/120V Charging- Booted Up Volt- Heater Set To Eco- Fan On 1st Setting- All Vents On-

-Conducted Business, Laptop/ Wi-Fi Emails- Sales Calls, Ect-
3 Hours In Volt- Only Lost 5 Miles of Range In Quiet Setting!

3)Volt As Portable HVAC 110/120V

Late July- Outside Temps Pushing 98°, Elderly Neighbor Lost Home AC For 24 Hours. Pulled Volt Into Her Garage, Plugged In To Wall 110V AC- Booted Up Volt- Air Conditioner Set Eco- Fan On 1st Setting- All Vents On-

-Neighbor Lady Stayed Cool Until Next Day When AC Was Repaired!

Full Traction Battery charge when I drove off!

4)Volt As Remote Escape Pod- 240V

Home Full Of Noisy Guests- Needed Quiet To Blog/ Email- Headed Over To Free ChargePoint Charger In The Downtown Area- 29° Outside Temp- Swiped Card, Plugged In- Booted Volt Up- Heater Set To Eco- Fan On 1st Setting-
-
Actually Gained Mileage Range With L2 240V As I Finished My Blog and Emails On The Smart Phone! 72° Or So Inside Volt! 4 Hours Plugged In- Warm- Gained 12 Miles Range- lol

Man, I have way to much fun with this thing!

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet Inc.

517-749-0532

Twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exhaust danger

There must be an exhaust detector (battery operated) that could be kept in the car to give warning of dangerous condition, just in case?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts