GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recall reading more than one thread mentioning that after several days of non-use, the Volt goes into some sort of sleep mode to save battery power. As part of this, the OnStar App can no longer communicate with the car. Is this a fact?? I parked my 2017 last Friday planning not to use it for a month. I ran the main battery down to 2bars. I did not plug in the charger. I did connect a trickle charger (Battery Tender Plus) to the 12 Volt battery. Here it is a week later and I still can use the OnStar App to check the Volt's status! Perhaps because the Volt knows the Tender is connected??? Just wondering....

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
This is from page 361 of the 2017 Volt Owners Manual:

OnStar cannot perform Remote
Door Unlock or Stolen Vehicle
Assistance after the vehicle has
been off continuously for 10 days
without an ignition cycle. If the
vehicle has not been started for
five days, OnStar can contact
Roadside Assistance or a locksmith
to help gain access to the vehicle.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Volt won't know that the battery tender is connected, but good plan to do so (and the manual says so).

·
Registered
442 Posts
Found this out the fun way. Traveled to CA this summer and had the thought that I didn't want to bring the key with me on a 10 day trip. A plane trip is rare for us. So, I locked the key in the car and locked car with app. Great plan! Car went to sleep and we get back close to midnight and phone wouldn't find car. Onstar said went to sleep. Doh! HOWEVER, at midnight, it wakes up for a short time to check on the world and then goes back to sleep. I was able to unlock during that short window. If we came in at 10pm, I would have been hanging out in the parking lot for a few hours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts