1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
985 Posts
We have an abundance of wind here in Central Texas and thousands of wind turbines that are hundreds of feet tall, but this machine looks like it would take an "abundance" of money to purchase. I can buy a lot of juice for years from the expensive electrical cooperatives I am forced to use.

Looks like a great idea, but expensive and I want one.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What indicates you would need a constant voltage to charge the batteries on the Volt? I'm not sure that regen mode is constant voltage.

VAWTs are pretty troublesome anyway. I'm surprised GE is letting someone put their brand on one. Local guy just got thrown into the slammer for tricking a small city into buying a few with their federal stimulus monies.

http://digitaltexan.net/2012/state/...f-pleads-guilty-weapons-charges/article36959/
I'm sorry, I meant a minimum amount of watts or electrons....

MrEnergyCzar

·
Registered
180 Posts
So if you mount this on the roof of the car and drive fast enough, it will charge while you drive?

(I am joking!!! Please.. :) )

·
Registered
878 Posts
....begin "stupid for-show wind device" rant....

Looking at the low tower height, vertical axis configuration (inefficient), and small swept area, this turbine would be lucky to generate 1 kW average. Some other websites show it is nominally rated 4 kW. Wind turbines, if properly sited, have about a 30% duty factor, giving this one about 1.2 kW average output, at best. I'm betting most of these units will be sited where the EVs are, not necessarily the wind, so average output will probably be a lot less.

Unless there is a substantial battery bank as part of the installation, this setup must be grid-connected. Since it has a cut-in speed of 7 mph, it will come "on-line" but will only be producing about 0.2 kW. This is because wind power is proportional to wind speed cubed and most turbines are nominally rated at around 20-25 mph. It could almost never provide stand-alone power to an L2 charger. Both the turbine and the charger must be grid-connected.

It may justify it's claim of providing "100% clean energy" if the turbine, on a 24-hour basis, generates and feeds into the grid more kW-hrs than the charger pulls from the grid. Since it can probably generate, at most, an average of 27 kW-hrs/day, and an L-2 Charger will use 3-6 kW (depending on configuration and vehicle), the charger can only charge for 4-8 hours/day before it starts using "conventional" energy.

For wind power to make economic sense, the wind industry has painfully learned over the past 30 years that siting, height above ground, and size are king. That's why all the new turbines are 2-3 MW, propped on huge towers, and located ONLY in the most wind-swept portions of the country (like Pickens country, Sterling:). They also have learned how important base-load conventional power plants are to keep things stable and cover the 70% of the time they aren't at design output.

....end "Stupid for-show wind device" rant...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts