GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Does anyone know how to skip a day or two while using delayed charging? Can't seem to find a way to do this per the manual.

For example, I typically don't use my 2018 Volt much on the weekends but I like to keep it plugged in so that it can use wall power for TMS just in case. I really don't need it charged up to 100% on Saturday morning.

Is there a way to skip Sat and Sun while leaving it plugged in so that it's fully charged just in time for 7:30am Monday?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Hi,

Does anyone know how to skip a day or two while using delayed charging? Can't seem to find a way to do this per the manual.

For example, I typically don't use my 2018 Volt much on the weekends but I like to keep it plugged in so that it can use wall power for TMS just in case. I really don't need it charged up to 100% on Saturday morning.

Is there a way to skip Sat and Sun while leaving it plugged in so that it's fully charged just in time for 7:30am Monday?

Thanks!
You may be able to set peak and off-peak charging windows for M-F, Sat and Sun the way you desire. I would not overthink charging the Volt. If you leave it plugged in the Volt will automatically manage charging the high voltage battery and the 12V battery with no risk of overcharging. As we move into fall and winter you be able to precondition the Volt to warm the cabin, even for short trips, while the Volt is plugged in. This is best done using Level 2 charging but the Volt can also be preconditioned while plugged in using Level 1. Even with the heated seats and steering wheel there is no comparison to getting into a Volt that has been warmed using preconditioning for 10 or 20 minutes when the outside temperature drops below 30F.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Battery is happier at what the Volt reports as "Full" than what it reports as "Empty" (and neither of those is actually what it says it is, so whatever you've learned about storage of LI batteries doesn't really apply anyway). I wouldn't worry about it. And, besides, what if you have an unusual weekend and actually DO want to drive it on the weekend? Wouldn't it be nicer to have a surprise full battery than an empty one?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll play with the peak/off peak and preconditioning but you're both probably right I'm overthinking this. I tend to do that - just ask my wife :)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Hellsop is right, don't try to outthink the Volt - the GM engineers did all the thinking ahead of time so we don't need to. ;)

The most important takeaway is that even when the Volt shows "100%" charge, the battery is never actually stuffed full to a real 100% charge - the engineers left buffers on both ends of the battery to ensure longevity. It has proven itself an excellent approach given the overwhelming reliability of the Gen1's - my 2011 has 140,000KM on it now (and my wifes coming up on 200,000KM) and both still easily exceed their rated electric ranges, telling me that the batteries are still perfectly healthy.

So yes, just leave it plugged in 24/7, you have zero worries.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts