GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 2017 since May and still have yet to find a way to sit comfortably in it for long periods and it is really starting to get annoying. I have yet to hear stories from others about this so either I am an odd shape or simply "sitting wrong". I am about 6' with a 32" inseam and while I find the seats could have more cushion and bolster, they are adequate. What really gets me is what to do with my left leg; the angle of the dead pedal seems too steep or just plain to close to me.

I owned a 2013 for 3 years and never had an issue- in fact I found it quite comfortable. In the test drive of the 2017 I never noticed an issue which is most likely that I was too interested and consumed with the new tech and performance.

Any one else have any pointers for a magic seat adjustment? I know not to expect couch-like comfort like I do from my wife's Altima, but I did expect to be able to sit in it for 4-5 hours every now and then without issue.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I don't have a '16/'17, but, I have read posts describing the seats as 'not as good' as '13s and earlier. And the leather seems to be better.

I'm about the same stature and I liked the '13 leather seats.

I have a '14 ELR will full power seats, so, I have no problems like this one. That's one thing I didn't like about the '13 seats: no power-adjustable lumbar support.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
ODD, I owned a 12 and 13 and find our 17 to be more comfortable. I'm 5'9" 220 pounds, with a bad back and knees from 22 years in the USAF.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm 6' and about 160 and don't have any problems. I just prop my leg up on the dead pedal like I'm Captain Morganing down the road.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I am 5'-10" and find the seats in my '16 are an equal or better fit than my '13 was. On trips I extend my left leg under the brake pedal or put my foot flat on the floor. The "dead pedal" is where it is because that is the inner fender profile. It ain't gonna change. Other than no lumbar adjustment the seat offers lots of position options IMHO, but there are always the 1%.....

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm 5'10", 175 pounds, and I agree that the dead pedal is too close; it was the single most noticeable problem with the driving position on my test drive. (Access ease is another problem, but that's a momentary issue, vs. the constancy of the dead pedal position.)

That said, I've had my car for about three weeks, and it's less objectionable to me now than it was when I first bought it. I must be getting used to it, I suppose. Also, I often draw my left leg toward me, folding it to the right as if I were sitting cross-legged. That's obviously not a good idea if you brake with your left foot, but every car I've owned until now has had a manual transmission, so I'm used to braking with my right foot.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm 5'10", 175 pounds, and I agree that the dead pedal is too close; it was the single most noticeable problem with the driving position on my test drive. (Access ease is another problem, but that's a momentary issue, vs. the constancy of the dead pedal position.)

That said, I've had my car for about three weeks, and it's less objectionable to me now than it was when I first bought it. I must be getting used to it, I suppose. Also, I often draw my left leg toward me, folding it to the right as if I were sitting cross-legged. That's obviously not a good idea if you brake with your left foot, but every car I've owned until now has had a manual transmission, so I'm used to braking with my right foot.
I thought the standard way to drive was to brake with the same foot you use on the accelerator (your right foot)....

I'm 6'0 and not fond of the dead pedal, either. One of the things I'll do is snake my foot down between it and the brake pedal, to stretch out my leg, but I don't think that's exactly the safest option.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I thought the standard way to drive was to brake with the same foot you use on the accelerator (your right foot)....

I'm 6'0 and not fond of the dead pedal, either. One of the things I'll do is snake my foot down between it and the brake pedal, to stretch out my leg, but I don't think that's exactly the safest option.
There is no 'standard' way.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Huh, I guess I assumed that since I've never observed anyone using their left foot to brake, nor have I ever even heard of it. Let's get a poll up!

I got to Googling, and came up with these two articles. The first one by Jalopnik agrees with me that right-foot braking is the norm, but is advocating left-foot braking. The second (by a driving instructor) is advocating right-foot braking.

Why You Should Brake With Your Left Foot
http://jalopnik.com/why-you-should-brake-with-your-left-foot-434604934

Left foot or right foot?
https://safedriving.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/left-foot-or-right-foot/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huh, I guess I assumed that since I've never observed anyone using their left foot to brake, nor have I ever even heard of it. Let's get a poll up!

I got to Googling, and came up with these two articles. The first one by Jalopnik agrees with me that right-foot braking is the norm, but is advocating left-foot braking. The second (by a driving instructor) is advocating right-foot braking.

Why You Should Brake With Your Left Foot
http://jalopnik.com/why-you-should-brake-with-your-left-foot-434604934

Left foot or right foot?
https://safedriving.wordpress.com/2012/03/03/left-foot-or-right-foot/
Old school manual transmissions require that you use right foot braking, so it was pretty much required when I grew up learning to drive a variety of cars. Of course there are always exceptions. There are going to be times, like in San Francisco where I felt it necessary to use my left foot to hold the car (auto transmission) while I gave it some gas to keep the car from rolling backwards during stop and go traffic by the Coit tower.

Sent from my XT1060 Moto X DE

·
Registered
385 Posts
With an automatic or an EV, right foot braking is safest and preferred by instructors. It makes sense to me. But when doing low speed navigation, such as parking, backing, hitching up to a trailer, off-roading (please, not in your EV), using your left foot on the brake and right on the go-pedal is the only safe way to navigate. It eliminates the time it takes to switch pedals.

·
Registered
176 Posts
With an automatic or an EV, right foot braking is safest and preferred by instructors. It makes sense to me. But when doing low speed navigation, such as parking, backing, hitching up to a trailer, off-roading (please, not in your EV), using your left foot on the brake and right on the go-pedal is the only safe way to navigate. It eliminates the time it takes to switch pedals.
Curious as to what makes right foot braking the safest?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Curious as to what makes right foot braking the safest?
In emergency situations, or with elderly (less coordinated) drivers (no disrespect, we all have this to look forward to), if the driver is used to two-foot driving, they can inadvertently press the throttle and brake together, making an accident more likely. This is not nearly as likely to happen if your reflexive action is to remove your right foot from the throttle and move it to the brake. In a panic situation your reflexes take over, not your head.

·
Registered
176 Posts
In emergency situations, or with elderly (less coordinated) drivers (no disrespect, we all have this to look forward to), if the driver is used to two-foot driving, they can inadvertently press the throttle and brake together, making an accident more likely. This is not nearly as likely to happen if your reflexive action is to remove your right foot from the throttle and move it to the brake. In a panic situation your reflexes take over, not your head.
But... (and this is still all theory) if someone doesn't have enough sense to remove their right foot from the throttle at all (citing your inadvertent pressing of both pedals), how will they have enough sense to

1. remove right foot from throttle
2. move right foot to brake pedal
3. depress brake pedal

·
Registered
385 Posts
I switch back and forth between 1 and 2-foot driving. I've driven manual transmissions so long it's seems natural to use my left foot on the brake, but after consciously trying to switch to 1-foot driving due to the studies I've read on it being safer, I now feel comfortable driving either way. Driving with one foot while doing precision movements is dangerous though as moving only an inch or two can become impossible, especially when in reverse.

Here's an interesting write-up on the two techniques: LA Times Article

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
So funny this topic again. I meant to ask are the non leather seats on gen 2 still as hard as they were when I tested them in 2013 fall when I ordered the 2014 when I had to order the leather seat option. In a sense its a waste for 2 reaons. One the other 3 seats never get much use and 2-tech car turnover especially if one does it say 3yrs or less to stay on the latest technology has little payback. No way could I have bought the my 2014 base seats as the few I tried were just way too hard. The leather seats are much better and I don't have issues at 5ft 10. I do wonder of the same though on gen 2. Are the base seats still hard?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I meant to ask are the non leather seats on gen 2 still as hard as they were when I tested them in 2013 fall when I ordered the 2014 when I had to order the leather seat option.... Are the base seats still hard?
My car has cloth seats, and I think they're fine. I test drove a car with leather seats and I noticed no difference in comfort. The salesman also said there was no difference in padding, just the covering. That said, I got my car several days after test-driving the one with leather, so mine is not a back-to-back comparison. If you're a potential buyer who's concerned about this, you may want to find a dealer with both seat types in stock so you can try them back-to-back.

·
Registered
251 Posts
But... (and this is still all theory) if someone doesn't have enough sense to remove their right foot from the throttle at all (citing your inadvertent pressing of both pedals), how will they have enough sense to

1. remove right foot from throttle
2. move right foot to brake pedal
3. depress brake pedal

They might have enough focus to think BRAKE and jam their foot down as hard on the brake as they can without thinking about how far the right foot is off the gas pedal.

Anyway, the car isn't the most comfortable for me, but it's not terrible. I figure I need to fiddle with the seat position more and dial it in a bit more. It probably is something where the visibility isn't as perfect as before, but the comfort is better or some other trade off. Or maybe that the seats just need to wear a little with your weight before they "fit" a bit better.

The stupid dead pedal is way way way wrong though. Would have been better without it at all. Long drives my foot often finds it's between the brake and the dead pedal...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Clutch with the left foot, heel/toe with the right. :)

In the Volt it seems my left leg usually seems to end up crossed under my right.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I checked out my dead pedal on my '13 today after reading this thread. I like it on my gen 1 and wouldn't change it. However, it appears to be attached to the carpet, not the floor structure. I pulled on it, and the carpet started to come up with it. I could feel what felt like a foam form under the rubber. So it may be possible to take up the carpet and reshape the dead pedal form, or remove it, without too much trouble.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts