GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

New here, do not yet own a Volt. (Seriously thinking about getting one because my Civic Hybrid is in the process of wearing out its 3rd IMA battery.)

Is there a site somewhere with a table of data showing for a lot of cars the total electric/gas miles? Not total miles traveled but the total miles in each mode, broken out separately. I hear that Volt battery failures are very rare, but would there be something in the aforementioned site to indicate if a battery had been replaced? 200k miles of electric travel only tells me what I want to know if it is certain that it was all on the same battery.

When looking at a used Volt (2011-2015), where in the menu system is this information stored?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Greetings,

New here, do not yet own a Volt. (Seriously thinking about getting one because my Civic Hybrid is in the process of wearing out its 3rd IMA battery.)

Is there a site somewhere with a table of data showing for a lot of cars the total electric/gas miles? Not total miles traveled but the total miles in each mode, broken out separately. I hear that Volt battery failures are very rare, but would there be something in the aforementioned site to indicate if a battery had been replaced? 200k miles of electric travel only tells me what I want to know if it is certain that it was all on the same battery.

When looking at a used Volt (2011-2015), where in the menu system is this information stored?

Thanks.
You can look up Volt owner results on the voltstats.net site. This site is not affiliated with GM. If you are interested in the lifetime history (gas versus electric) of a particular Volt the lifetime MPGe can help. If the number is low 50s - 70s then the vehicle has been driven extensively on gas. The higher the lifetime MPGe indicates that most of the vehicle miles were driven using the battery.

·
Administrator
20,811 Posts
Greetings,

Thanks.
GM published stats some years ago. The average driver is using the battery for 60% of their annual driving miles. Your results will vary based on the length of your commute, your driving style (aggressive or not), tire inflation, weather, hills, AC/Heater use.

Very few batteries have been replaced. GM babies the battery with an active liquid cooling system (heat is the enemy). Some manufacturers (looking at you Nissan) scrimp on the extra cost of an aggressive cooling system by using "passive" cooling (like your burner stove slowly cooling in the air) or a fan, or a fan with some cool air. Not nearly as aggressive as liquid cooling.

Don't worry too much about the battery, or, worry about it about as much as you'd worry about an engine or transmission replacement on a traditional car.

Carfax may show whether a car had it's battery replaced. Whether it did or did not does not matter much. You could argue that one with a replaced battery might even be "better". Again, I would not worry about it.

The DIC has a lifetime MPG number. This is a relative indicator of how many miles were driven on battery vs gas. 200+MPG would indicate almost all electric. 135MPG would be about 70% electric. 40MPG would mean the gas engine was used almost all the time.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Voltstats.net has the information that you want. In addition to the stats for all of the cars registered with them you can also look at the stats for various groups, there are groups for various model years. As of a couple of years ago GM had never replaced a Volt battery under warranty, don't know how many batteries have been replaced out of warranty but probably not very many. The Volt has very good battery management, 20% of the battery is used as a guardband so it's never possible to discharge a battery to 0 or charge it to 100%. The battery is also liquid cooled so it never gets too hot or too cold, I doubt that there is any sort of thermal management on your Civic hybrid, thermal management and guard banding make a huge difference in the life of a battery.

This is the longevity record holder, Sparkie. as of July when it's owner dropped OnStar it had 445 thousand miles on it, 161 thousand were electric.

https://www.voltstats.net/Stats/Details/1579

1 - 4 of 4 Posts