GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to use my own carrier's connection. Is there a way to replace the car's SIM card with one for my network?

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
I have seen nothing posted here in that regard.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
You can't change the SIM card as far as I know, but at one time you could add your car as an extra line if you happen to use the same carrier as Gm does to share your minutes. This is cheaper than buying Onstar minutes, but your'e better off just using a regular cell phone for your minutes. I'm about to lose my free Onstar (3 years for my 2013 model). Someone mentioned there's some free 3 year add on that isn't as good as what I have today, but free is free.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I read somewhere that OnStar uses AT&T as its carrier because I have a 2009 Chevy Equinox factory equipped with OnStar but cannot use it because AT&T doesn't allow OnStar services in Puerto Rico. Ask you local AT&T office if they can activate your OnStar system.

·
Registered
200 Posts
If you have a Gen2, you can call AT&T and have them add your car to your shared plan, however I suspect this only covers the data used by the hotspot feature and probably NOT calling.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I could be wrong but the OnStar system is satellite and your phone is cellular. It may not have a SIM card as we know it as it is different technology. But it would be interesting to know for sure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd like to use my own carrier's connection. Is there a way to replace the car's SIM card with one for my network?
furiouschads,

The Gen 2 4G LTE data runs on the AT&T 4G network. If you have a shared data plan with AT&T, you can move the plan from the OnStar data plan to your shared one. AT&T charges $10/month to add the new line. I switched right AFTER the 3 month/3Gig OnStar data plan ran out.
However, this is AT&T only.
No one yet has found the SIM, or even if it exists as a removable chip/card.

For phone calls to anyone besides OnStar, I use my own cell phone on CarPlay.
Both CarPlay and Android Auto use your own cell phone with your own carrier and plan, but utilize the car's microphone and speakers.
In CarPlay, you can use Siri to call your stored (on your phone) contacts, and the radio will mute to allow clear conversations.

Roy

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I could be wrong but the OnStar system is satellite and your phone is cellular. It may not have a SIM card as we know it as it is different technology. But it would be interesting to know for sure.
Onstar is cellular.
The only thing satellite is GPS and XM radio.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Onstar is cellular.
The only thing satellite is GPS and XM radio.
If so, then why the need? There have been threads about OnStar working all the time even when the cell phone is out of range. How does it work when no cell service is available anywhere around you?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If so, then why the need? There have been threads about OnStar working all the time even when the cell phone is out of range. How does it work when no cell service is available anywhere around you?
Your cell phone transmitter has 1 Watt of power or less, the Onstar transmitter is probably 3 Watts. Also the receiver and its antenna is a lot larger in the Onstar equipment compared to your handheld cell phone.
If there is absolutely no cell service available, Onstar will not work either.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Well then AAA and my cell phone is a much better deal than OnStar.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Your cell phone transmitter has 1 Watt of power or less, the Onstar transmitter is probably 3 Watts. Also the receiver and its antenna is a lot larger in the Onstar equipment compared to your handheld cell phone.
If there is absolutely no cell service available, Onstar will not work either.
Just like the old days with the bag phones in your cars that had a magnetic antenna, 3 watts is better than 1. But you don't want that anywhere near your pocket frying the Crown Jewels.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
and you have a much better gain ground plane antenna on top of the car -- PLUS more power to xmit.

For auto crash location it will need the GPS antenna in the roof top base unit

NOW if only my phone had a 10 KW battery

---
If upside down in a ditch - then the cell phone may be better

1 - 14 of 14 Posts