GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have Green Week at Purdue (http://www.purdue.edu/sustainability/greenweek/index.htm) next week with an alternate fuel vehicle show on Wednesday. I was asked to bring my Volt. I would like to make up a sign, say 11" x 17", that describes the Volt. Things to mention I have thought of are:

Quantity made
How far on electric (local cost of kWh)
How far on gas (local cost of a gallon)
How long for full charge on 240v
Weight ??

Your thoughts on what else to add?

Thanks,

Tim.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
If you are doing kWh - are you showing "from wall" or "what Volt says"? It takes about 13 kWh with 120V and 12.5 kWh to do a charge, but the Volt says it uses about 10.4 or 10.8 kWh while driving.

I would do something like "mpg if you drive 80 miles after a charge" to show a combination electric+gas drive (the 40+40 idea=80 mpg). People tend to think in "electric only" or "gas only" modes.

You may want to show the current production vs. sales graph from techtom here on the forum. It shows an upward trend to builds and sales. I also did a PPT that is Volt-based if you want to use some of the stuff from it, including some sales graphs - PM me here and I'll email it to you (include your email addr).

·
Registered
878 Posts
I showed my Volt at a utility-sponsored Energy Festival a couple of weeks ago, parked next to a local guy with a Nissan Leaf, a Karman Ghia EV conversion, and a bunch of demo hybrids from the local new car dealers. I had over 100 off-the-street ordinary people stop by and chat. The two most common Volt myths I ran into was the "$10,000 off" and "GM losing $49,000/Volt" myths. Be prepared to debunk those.

Only a few were interested in a lot of the technical details. Just being able to clearly describe the extended range concept and see they "got it" was a lot. I did find it handy to be able to simply describe the basic differences between an "EV", an "EREV", and a hybrid like a Prius. People wanted to sit in it and open and close the hatch rear, without even asking you. Know what the basics are under the hood. Maybe have a few brochures from the local Chevy dealer. The Leaf and my Volt were parked next to a working outlet, so we plugged in and set up a demo charging setup, which attracted interest and conversation.

One piece of knowledge that was pretty handy was the local utility power content. What percentage coal, nuclear, natural gas, hydro, PV, wind, etc. It turns out our local utility was about 58% renewable when counting hydro and wood-fired power plants renewable. I made a placard of that. The Leaf owner had a picture of his house with his 3.5 KW PV system on the roof. My chart and his photo made an impression and sparked several conversations. People can relate to using renewable energy, or even better yet, your own solar system, to power your car.

Have fun!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
>> What percentage coal, nuclear, natural gas, hydro, PV, wind, etc.

If you can do a home audit and find 13 kWh a day of power usage that you can cut, it then doesn't matter where the power comes from to recharge. 13 kWh a day seems like "a lot" but it's not too hard to find in a bigger home. Part of it could be to look at outdoor lighting, overnight shutdown of computers, monitors, DVRs, routers and other non-used but "working" items.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts