GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Spotted at the Champaign, IL Supercharger

I didn't know Pontiac made an EV. Supercharging capability is a real surprising plus.

Also note how nice the blacktop is for the supercharging spots and how crappy it is for the rest of us.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ticket time... or tow time (even better)!
I actually doubt it. Police don't jurisdiction on private property. They will come if the store reports retail theft, but probably not for ICEing. Not a Tesla in sight and with 8+ charging bays, it's probably a no harm/no foul situation. But if Pontiac made a supercharger compatible car, I'd want a G8 and a Solstice. I guess the G8 has been reincarnated as a Chevy SS, though I'd much prefer the austrailian Holden wagon variant. Why don't American car manufacturers make a hot wagon any more. I should have picked up a CTS-V wagon when they were available.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I should have picked up a CTS-V wagon when they were available.
There was a red one on the lot when I bought my ELR. Tempted. But I got over it since I was test-driving the ELR at the time!

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Here in Seaside Oregon on Highway 101 there are 8 new Tesla Super Chargers at the shopping center parking lot. Its only 2 blocks or so from our house. Seems like most of the time I drive by there is usually one or two Teslas charging quite a few times there are none. I have noticed on Highway 101 I sometimes see more Tesla's than Volts.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here in Seaside Oregon on Highway 101 there are 8 new Tesla Super Chargers at the shopping center parking lot. Its only 2 blocks or so from our house. Seems like most of the time I drive by there is usually one or two Teslas charging quite a few times there are none. I have noticed on Highway 101 I sometimes see more Tesla's than Volts.
I've seen 3 Teslas at the most charging at a time at this supercharger station, but I"m sure that will change when the model 3 is out in large numbers.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I've seen 3 Teslas at the most charging at a time at this supercharger station, but I"m sure that will change when the model 3 is out in large numbers.
Low Supercharger occupancy in that area is Normal. ;)*

Tesla has a standard 4-cabinet, 8-bay installation that it low-use areas. It keeps builds consistent, reduces the chance that people have to wait for a spot, increases fault-tolerance, means that they won't have to revisit for a while and would allow reconfiguration behind the meter should maximum charging capability increase in the future.

In the early days of the network, Tesla had more smaller installations, but they now have 8+ more consistently. Installations in larger or busier locations now regularly have 10 or more stalls, and Tesla has added or is adding some additional locations or has expanded or is expanding some existing locations

* Tesla also has a Supercharger in Normal, IL.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Low Supercharger occupancy in that area is Normal. ;)*

* Tesla also has a Supercharger in Normal, IL.
For awhile, Tesla owners in our area had to drive 45 minutes out of their way to Normal, plug in, then go to Ohare, and hopefully have enough battery left to get back to Normal in order to get home. If they didn't have enough to make it to normal, then they would have to drive west to Aurora, supercharge, then come home. So the addition of this supercharger really helps both the east-west traffic on I72 or I74 and north-south traffic on I57. It still makes the round trip from Champaign to Ohare and back a bit scary with range anxiety unless you have an S or P 90/100

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
For awhile, Tesla owners in our area had to drive 45 minutes out of their way to Normal, plug in, then go to Ohare, and hopefully have enough battery left to get back to Normal in order to get home. If they didn't have enough to make it to normal, then they would have to drive west to Aurora, supercharge, then come home. So the addition of this supercharger really helps both the east-west traffic on I72 or I74 and north-south traffic on I57. It still makes the round trip from Champaign to Ohare and back a bit scary with range anxiety unless you have an S or P 90/100
For travel from Champaign, IL to O'Hare there's Country Club Hills, IL. Owners could top off there on the way if they're in any doubt or on the way back if battery capacity and conditions allow.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For travel from Champaign, IL to O'Hare there's Country Club Hills, IL. Owners could top off there on the way if they're in any doubt or on the way back if battery capacity and conditions allow.
It been years since I've looked at the supercharging map. So my info on Aurora and Bloomington was from the early days of supercharging, when the model S was early in its release cycle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts