GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The turn onto the street where I live is off a high traffic main street, right after a sharp curve with limited visibility. Speed limit is 35, but drivers routinely do 50+. I've had close calls there before; sadly, yesterday my number came up.

Slowing for oncoming traffic to clear to make the turn, and a speeding/distracted driver came around the corner and plowed into the back of me. It felt like a hard hit and pushed us about 30 feet into the oncoming lane of traffic, though I'd estimate the speed of the other driver wasn't more than around 25 after their panic braking. Me howling in frustration was probably as loud as the impact.

Myself and my passenger were belted in and we're both doing fine, physically. Airbags didn't depoly, but I believe a dash message regarding the airbag system popped up immediately after the crash. I was on battery at the time and the drive system wasn't working properly afterwards, I could only inch the car off the road onto the shoulder.

The other driver was issued a citation by police at the scene.

This is the unpleasant result:

http://m.imgur.com/71wYnDu

At first glance it doesn't look as severe as I was expecting. The other driver's ~15 year old minivan seemed certainly totaled, with the hood pushed up almost level with their roof.

I'm hoping it may be repairable, but I know looks can be decieving. I'd be heartbroken to have let this car go, just about a year to the day I got her. Long before her time.

Should the airbags have deployed in an impact like this? Regardless, we're okay. Thank you dear Volt, and Chevy, for keeping us safe.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
<snip> I'm hoping it may be repairable, but I know looks can be deceiving. I'd be heartbroken to have let this car go, just about a year to the day I got her. Long before her time. <snip>
Firstly, glad you are okay! Secondly, man that absolutely sucks! Thirdly, yeah I suspect there is probably quite a bit more "hidden" damage than you see, especially around the rear axle cradle and possibly various mounts but hey, we can hope for the best until a mechanic takes a look at it.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Sorry man.

If there is any frame damage, you can pretty much be assured of a total. If that's the case, hopefully you had GAP insurance!

If it is repairable, make sure you get the other party's insurance co to pay for everything at a GM-certified repair shop....even a GM dealer. Don't let them funnel you to one of their "preferred" partners.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Sorry to head about your Volt. Glad you are okay though.

My 2013 Volt got hit twice in one week. Very minor/cosmetic damage and nothing reported at Chevy for issues.

I hope you can repair your car and getting it going brand new.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident but glad you are OK. So unfortunate.

Hopefully things are minor and can be repaired. The problem with accidents is that it's difficult to be made whole. If the car is repaired you run the risk of something not working as it did. If it's a write off you get paid based on used prices, but those prices represent a substantial price cut for lousy cars being over represented in the used market, and it's likely you know you had a good car.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. If worse comes to worse, there might be a Gen 2 in my future somewhere down the line. But it's never quite the same as a first love.

I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
926 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry man.

If there is any frame damage, you can pretty much be assured of a total. If that's the case, hopefully you had GAP insurance!

If it is repairable, make sure you get the other party's insurance co to pay for everything at a GM-certified repair shop....even a GM dealer. Don't let them funnel you to one of their "preferred" partners.
I'm driving a salvage volt that required the replacement of the bumper & liftgate, and it was much worse than yours (totaled). It runs & rolls great. But if I had yours, I would insist on a Volt dealer to do the work. If they OK it, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also got rear end experience when a caddy hit my subie. Her caddy front just wedge under the subues rear end. The sudden jerk of the car could hurt you neck. Hope u r ok

·
Administrator
19,969 Posts
Condolences. This accident seems to be a combo of a driver (the one hitting you) going too fast around a blind curve.

I think you are the first to post here of having a Volt rear-ended while moving. Everyone else had been stopped when they were hit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You are very lucky that you have emerged unhurt. If they choose to fix the car, it is difficult to be "made whole" because the crash is reported by the insurance company. Even if the repair is perfect, and the car is essentially like-new, there is often a significant reduction in value (and condition) when trading in or selling the car years later.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You are very lucky that you have emerged unhurt. If they choose to fix the car, it is difficult to be "made whole" because the crash is reported by the insurance company. Even if the repair is perfect, and the car is essentially like-new, there is often a significant reduction in value (and condition) when trading in or selling the car years later.
Thank you for the advice.

Due to the holiday, I'm still waiting on the inspector to come out and take a look at the situation.

It's a leased vehicle. I have comprehensive damage and gap insurance, but GEICO doesn't offer "new vehicle replacement."

I guess what I'd like to know is, given the other driver was found at fault and cited, what would the forum members recommend? How can I play this to come out of this awful situation in the best shape? Do I have much say in the issue?

I should also add that I'm partially disabled, so I don't have as much income as many members on this forum might. One of the reasons the Volt very much appealed to me was the fuel savings; by using the numerous public chargers in this area a lot it's allowed me to have a life and freedom, driving a modern (safe!) car that would've been very difficult otherwise.

I was very much hoping to receive the MA state rebate check at some point. Still waiting on that one...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thank you for the advice.

Due to the holiday, I'm still waiting on the inspector to come out and take a look at the situation.

It's a leased vehicle. I have comprehensive damage and gap insurance, but GEICO doesn't offer "new vehicle replacement."

I guess what I'd like to know is, given the other driver was found at fault and cited, what would the forum members recommend? How can I play this to come out of this awful situation in the best shape? Do I have much say in the issue?

I should also add that I'm partially disabled, so I don't have as much income as many members on this forum might. One of the reasons the Volt very much appealed to me was the fuel savings; by using the numerous public chargers in this area a lot it's allowed me to have a life and freedom, driving a modern (safe!) car that would've been very difficult otherwise.

I was very much hoping to receive the MA state rebate check at some point. Still waiting on that one...
As a former insurance claims adjuster, the only advice I can give you in this case is to file your claim through the insurance for the person who rear-ended you. They would have to provide a rental for you while your vehicle is not drivable. Other than that, it's out of your hands.
If you did own the car you'd be looking at attempting to place a claim for diminished value (if it is not a total loss) or to dispute their total loss valuation (if it is a total loss).
Since you don't own it, your only recourse is to attempt to have the insurance company reimburse you for your gas while you aren't able to drive your electric vehicle. They may or may not be willing to pay for this, but I would be prepared to say that you never use gas and you charge your vehicle for free.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad news from the collision center today. Once the car was up on the lift and disassembled, they found that there was much more severe frame damage than originally thought. Apparently the impact energy was focused in just the right way on that right side that it just bent the hell out of the right rear section.

I'm so sorry this was done to you, dear Volt. You never even had your first oil change.

RIP 2015 Siren Red Volt "Voltasia", 2015-2016. You were a good ship, gone long before your time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts