GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was too close to the side of my garage and cracked the sideview mirror housing. It's actually ok, but some pieces around the edge of both the black plastic and blue plastic parts broke off, so it's a bit jagged. No wind noise, and no functional impact. Purely cosmetic.

I was looking into a replacement, and found this (https://www.gmpartsnow.com/oem-parts/gm-mirror-assembly-23406466/?c=Zz1ib2R5JnM9b3V0c2lkZS1taXJyb3JzJmk9Q1QxNjM5NTUmcj0xJmE9Y2hldnJvbGV0Jm89dm9sdCZ5PTIwMTYmdD1wcmVtaWVyJmU9MS01bC1sNC1lbGVjdHJpYy1nYXM=). Oddly enough, getting the one with heat and side proximity detection, which is what I have, is the cheapest version. The ones without heat or side proximity cost about $50 more!

So the big issue is that I can't find guidance anywhere on getting the sideview mirror apart or off the car. There's some talk about the gen1, but nothing for the gen2. For my old VW, I had the Bentley service manual, which was great, but can't find anything for the gen2.

Anyone have any diagrams on how to get the mirror housing off the car? I might just buy the part and have the dealer do it (so at least I save on the cost of the part), but this should be pretty doable for me, so it's going to be a waste of money. Then again, I will need the cap color-matched since I'm pretty sure they sell it primed, and you have to paint it.

Any help would rock. If you have the manual and can provide a pic of the appropriate diagram, that would be awesome!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Although I havn't looked at one recently, I'm pretty sure that the entire assembly is just bolted on from inside the door. You would, of course, have to remove the door panel. It is held on by a few hidden screws under the handle trim and the arm rest. The edges are stuck down with plastic grippers that just pull out. There is some sound absorbent paper attached with sticky putty. You might want to get you some plastic pry tools to make it a little easier. If you feel like proceeding on your own, check YouTube for door panel removal videos.

·
Registered
926 Posts
For some assistance for removing the door panels, see this French Canadian video on a Gen 2 Volt:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts