GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
I'm tempted...though I'd really love to find a Saks limited edition in white diamond tricoat

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
there is a certain location in my town where I've run over railroad tracks and felt like someone hit me with a wrecking ball. I've learned to avoid that route only after replacing 3 cracked 18" rims. I can't imagine rolling on 22s. That would cause me to drive like a grandpa again (I enjoy driving it like a jackrabbit).

·
Registered
13,929 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I would black out the chrome trim, wrap the roof black, black out the grill, no front plate, black rear plate and I would keep the stock 20's and paint them gloss black instead of having 22's.

But this thing is totally striking. A true head turner. Once my Volt is up in January it's either an ELR or a used Tesla. ELR is very tempting though... even though I'd prefer more EV range... I've been looking at them every day for the past few weeks

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm tempted...though I'd really love to find a Saks limited edition in white diamond tricoat

There's a guy in Woodland Hills with a white 2016 ELR. Has all black rims. Usually see him driving around every once in a while

The car is super striking and he drives it fast. Looks badass doing pulls.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Yuck! No thanks, for many reasons!

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
I would black out the chrome trim, wrap the roof black, black out the grill, no front plate, black rear plate and I would keep the stock 20's and paint them gloss black instead of having 22's.

But this thing is totally striking. A true head turner. Once my Volt is up in January it's either an ELR or a used Tesla. ELR is very tempting though... even though I'd prefer more EV range... I've been looking at them every day for the past few weeks
If I had a silver or white ELR, I’d mimic the Championship Edition look. Gunmetal Gray grill, deep purple (instead of maroon) mirrors and accents along with gray, silver, black, and white stripes.

·
1,027 Posts
I couldn't handle the ELR being any lower. I already hit or drag all the time going anywhere in Florida no less. My FIL house in NC I could only get up the driveway in reverse AND slicing it sideways to not just drag but bottom out and nearly tear off the front end. Backing out straight even the back end was going to scrape. took 2-3 minutes of careful work anytime I needed to leave to navigate it without damage.

·
1,027 Posts
There's a CTS-V Coupe near me that looks almost identical to my ELR, aside from a black grill and the exhaust pipes where the backup light is..

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
I couldn't handle the ELR being any lower. I already hit or drag all the time going anywhere in Florida no less. My FIL house in NC I could only get up the driveway in reverse AND slicing it sideways to not just drag but bottom out and nearly tear off the front end. Backing out straight even the back end was going to scrape. took 2-3 minutes of careful work anytime I needed to leave to navigate it without damage.
I’d be willing to trade my 3/4 ton Suburban with tons of ground clearance for your ELR. I’d accept the occasional scraping for the sexy look of the ELR any day. 5 years after my volt purchase, I really regret not holding out for a discounted ELR as I could have waited 2 years for prices to plummet. I had no idea we would be empty nesters 3 years earlier than planned - that tidbit would have sealed the deal.

·
1,027 Posts
So, Get one.

<excuse to go get a pic of my car while it's raining and looks clean >

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
So, Get one.

I'll second that opinion,,really glad I got my 16.and as said,,I couldn't imagine going lower around here.hell,I'm doing my driveway and will be modifying the end of my driveay.car scrapes 90% of the time now.

·
Registered
13,929 Posts
So, Get one.
I’m of the mindset that I’m not going to throw away a perfectly good car just because I want something else. Decades ago my wife and I made the mistake of trading in a new car that she drove for 2 years, and the dealership made money off of us coming and going. Never again!!! Today we drive the cars into the ground, eeking out every bit of depreciation we lost in the transaction - so effectively, we pay 100% depreciation at the purchase. So the only way I part with my volt prior to the end of its useful life is if it gets stolen or t-boned and totaled. This mindset has prevented me from a lifetime of leasing or borrowing beyond my means to get a new car every few years (a bad habit most Americans have) allowing me to join the double comma club well in advance of retirement. Delaying pleasure to achieve long-term goals will mean compounding interest is working for me, instead of against me. Don’t worry, my vehicles are still very nice, and someday i’ll likely blow 6 figures on a supercar or two. I’m just waiting for the nest egg to double one more time. Given how the market has done the last week or so, hopefully it’s sooner rather than later.

Nice... if you blacken all the chrome, then I could say “Lord Vader, your vehicle is ready”

F

·
0 Posts
While the ELR is a great looking car the only one in the whole province when I was lookin was a used one for $44,000, the price of a new Premiere Volt before $5,000 rebate and $6,000 scrap it trade in (that's less $11,000 = $33,000). That's a hard sell.

·
1,027 Posts
There's 3 pages of ELRs on car gurus before you break 30k.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...=true&modelChanged=false&filtersModified=true

Life is too short to be with something you hate.

I tend to keep my cars too. Still have an 03 Element Ex that totaled 3 other cars. It's a tank. I get saving money and stuff but that's a value in your own mind and situation. Cars are a depreciable asset. They are all going to end up worthless, with rare exception.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts