1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Also watch out for the flat rate package that some utilities are introducing, like Detroit Electric and their $40/month deal. Sure, that's far less than you'll pay for gas, but far more than you'll pay if you just stick with plain old single-rate metering.

Man, I am really spoiled in the Deep ("Dirty Coal") South, where we have 10 cent/kWh electricity.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I have no idea what my rate is, which I know is terrible. We have moved twice here in SoCal and both times when I signed up for electricity I checked the box that said, "Yes, charge me 10% more for my electricity but provide more of it from renewable sources."

We have a Rav4 Electric. When we installed the charger Southern California Edison added a time-of-use meter as a matter of course. They now want to take that meter out. I used an online tool at SCE.com and it said that I should have a time-of-use-meter.

We have solar panels (leased from Solar City). Our electric bill was nudging over $300 a month and now it is down to $60 a month. ($120 to lease the panels, but I would do it even if it were break even, I love technology.) Because we sell energy back during the day, purchasing most of our usage at night, we now have a time-of-use meter on the entire house. It is approximately 1/3 the price after 7pm. (So it drives me crazy when I come home in the middle of the day and my wife has the car plugged in.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts