GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I purchased a 2013 Chevy Volt. I love the car but twice in the last 9 months I received the "Engine Not Available" indicator. Luckily I was able to get the car of the highway both times without getting hit. It's currently in the shop (now 2 weeks) . I am thinking of upgrading to the 2015 in hopes this would not continue to happen in the newer model.

Any advice? Do any of you have a 2015 that has experienced the Engine Not Available problem.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
If you can afford it why not. Personally I have owned 3 Volt's since March 2012 but none of them out of warranty. I've owned my 2017 for 15 months, if it looks like I will own my 2017 past it's B2B I most likely will buy an extended warranty. But so far I have not experienced ANY propulsion/battery issues with ANY of my Volt's driven for over 55K miles.

But if I were going to make the change I'd try and get into a low mileage 2016.

·
Registered
433 Posts
If it is within your budget, a used gen 2 would be a more significant upgrade from your 2013. I have a 2013 and 2016 both bought used and the differences between the two are pretty dramatic. My used gen 2 was $21k with only 13k miles.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I purchased a new 2012 and traded it for a new 2015. I decided to trade rather than purchase tires, an extended warranty, etc, etc. I traded to a 2015 after test driving a 2016 and deciding that I did not like the significantly reduced rearward visibility of the gen 2. I experienced no significant problems with either vehicle.

If you like your current Volt then instead of looking to trade, make sure the dealer fixes the current problem under the drive train warranty. If that same problem recurs it should still be covered even after the warranty expires. If the dealer can't fix it, then take it to another dealer.

KNS

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
About a year ago I purchased a 2013 Chevy Volt. I love the car but twice in the last 9 months I received the "Engine Not Available" indicator. Luckily I was able to get the car of the highway both times without getting hit. It's currently in the shop (now 2 weeks) . I am thinking of upgrading to the 2015 in hopes this would not continue to happen in the newer model.

Any advice? Do any of you have a 2015 that has experienced the Engine Not Available problem.

Thanks in advance!
"Engine Not Available" means, in simplest terms, "I'm broken". It's not a common way of being broken, and the way most people that ever see that message see it is by not having any fuel in the tank. So upgrading to any "not broken" Volt will probably solve your problem. Fixing yours will probably solve your problem, because whatever it is, it's not a chronic problem. The odds of it breaking that way again are very slim.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts