GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 volt that just died on me. Made a noise sounded like something from wheel or transmission and it won’t move. No leaks or anything. When I put in drive it makes wierd sound and won’t move.
not sure what’s wrong. Should I sel it as is? The battery is good. Everything in the car works perfect. No other issues.
what should I sell it for or is it even worth getting it fixed?
I’ll appreciate any help and guidance on this.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I would probably get it to a dealer and see what the problem is first.

Reactions: Off Oil and obermd

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier, 2016 Volt LT
115 Posts
Broken CV shaft, maybe? Sounds like it starts normally, is that right?

Should have at least a trusted mechanic look at it, or/and a Chevy tech to see what's the matter. Once you have a price estimate of repairs, then decide to sell or not.

·
Registered
2017 Volt LT
35 Posts
I would diagnose the issue either yourself or via a shop that knows these cars first before jumping right to selling it. I am still learning these cars, but doubt they bring much, if a non runner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ok so I took the advise from here and decided to lift my car up and inspect myself. Guess what I found. A broken axle!!! I wasn’t expecting it as it was replaced a year ago but I’m surprised to see it broken like this. Normally axle going bad gives indication of noises but this one just failed….the one in there was from autozone “Duralast gold”. It did not last long. Just replaced today. I left the old seal in and just used the plastic tool to prevent the seal from damaging when inserting the new axle into transmission. I added the same amount of transmission oil that came out. Car is back up and running AH.
The engine light went away. It was causing a p215 light and that was due to the engine moving but wheel not moving causing miss match in wheel sensor to engine reading. I may not be 100% correct on wordings as I read this somewhere but something along those lines.
So lesson learned before panicking it’s better to do some inspection yourself and inspect parts before assuming the worst case. It caused stress for no reason.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier, 2016 Volt LT
115 Posts
I'm glad it worked out! The only CV shaft I ever broke (not on a Volt) gave me ample warning which I ignored. Like you say usually you can hear them start to go.

Sounds like that "Duralast" was a dud.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts