GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All I need help informing two options that I am weighing. First i'll admit I am very very particular about my car and and perfectionist....yes I have a problem. A black car has only made that problem worse!!!! I had the ELR in for service at a Caddy dealer and they scratched the paint in four different areas on one side. They were able to buff out 3 of the spots but one of the spots went so deep that even wet sanding wasn't able to completely remove it so it is still there. We're talking area of of penny in the middle of passenger door and its not noticeable unless you stop to look at the door....but definitely there and I of course see it....back to that problem I admit I have. I'll try and post a pic later but heading over there now to maybe pick it up. I say maybe because I am not sure if I should hold them to it and have them completely repaint the door to fix. The issue with that is they will have to blend across to the panels on either side of the door and I was told the Caddy black factory paint is top tier and really good vs body shop paint that would be a step down???? What's the less bitter pill to swallow here?....sticking with factory paint but with a small somewhat noticeable scratch on the door OR getting rid of the scratch but ending up with sub par paint on those panels going forward??? Your insight and advice is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
A good body should should be able to blend in such a way that you won't even notice what they did.

Option 3: Plastidip the entire car whatever color you want. It puts layers of rubber dip coat around the vehicle so small rocks bounce right off. The beauty of this is you can peel it off and get back to the original paint anytime. Better yet, you can just add more dip to change colors whenever you want (obviously sticking a similar light or dark color will require fewer coats to get the color you want. There are some really sick alien dip pearls out there.

F

·
0 Posts
Don't you ever park in a parking lot? What about all those door dings. What about all those rock chips (unless you never take it out on the highway)?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the quick replies. Yep you are right that any shop should be able to address the scratches. I guess the bigger concern is the newer paint being more prone to subsequent scratches? I've heard more than once that Cadillac factory paint (especially the black) is 'great paint' you don't want to lose if you don't have to....whatever that means.....trying to understand better if there is any weight to this.

I park in a parking lot about two miles from any store (my wife hates this of course) and check it each time I get back to the car.....never been an issue in four years.....so far (now watch tomorrow!). No rock chips, hardly on highway and she only has 8k miles on it so far. If and when I do get scratches etc I'll suck them up because my fault and normal wear and tear. These scratches from the dealer were on them during an oil change no less. Prior to this week the Caddy had one scratch from me over the course of four years.....over the course of one hour they took it from 1 scratch to 5 scratches with the 4 they introduced, go figure. Anyway they're being really good about it and want to make it right so that's not an issue....its really what I determine is best path forward and not a big deal at the end of the day. What do you think?

·
Registered
13,672 Posts
Thanks guys for the quick replies. Yep you are right that any shop should be able to address the scratches. I guess the bigger concern is the newer paint being more prone to subsequent scratches? I've heard more than once that Cadillac factory paint (especially the black) is 'great paint' you don't want to lose if you don't have to....whatever that means.....trying to understand better if there is any weight to this.

I park in a parking lot about two miles from any store (my wife hates this of course) and check it each time I get back to the car.....never been an issue in four years.....so far (now watch tomorrow!). No rock chips, hardly on highway and she only has 8k miles on it so far. If and when I do get scratches etc I'll suck them up because my fault and normal wear and tear. These scratches from the dealer were on them during an oil change no less. Prior to this week the Caddy had one scratch from me over the course of four years.....over the course of one hour they took it from 1 scratch to 5 scratches with the 4 they introduced, go figure. Anyway they're being really good about it and want to make it right so that's not an issue....its really what I determine is best path forward and not a big deal at the end of the day. What do you think?
Get it fixed by the dealership, then plastidip it to give the car a fighting chance of staying pristine.

Option 4: there's got to be a 12 step program to get over this problem you have
Option 5: next time you get a new car, take your wife's diamond ring, put a scratch in the car to get it over with. Once it's imperfect, subsequent dings and scratches won't feel as bad.

My volt has white diamond tricoat which is very hard to blend. It has been in the Chevy dealer body shop 3 times for various collisions with flying debris. At 100k miles, I cannot tell it has been worked on except if you check the black wheel wells for overspray.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Any course suggested here isn't 100% guaranteed to give a result you're satisfied with. I'd be inclined to have the dealer fix it. The OEM paint is already damaged. I doubt it gets stripped off to fix the scratches though.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Buffing scratches out usually thins out or eliminates the clearcoat.
Ask the dealer if you can view a couple of their repaints.
Only,then if you are satisfied with the result, comit to to repaint.
There is a huge variation in quality from dealer to dealer in the paint department.

D

·
0 Posts
IMO, the OEM paint is factory baked (the bare shell, before they put anything in the car) and it's the best of the best - Anything done after that is not as good and frequently doesn't look as good, which is one reason they paint a whole panel and then blend with the panel in front and behind the damaged panel. A really talented guy can blend it almost perfectly . . . . but not every dealer has one of those

Just 2,000 miles per year and all that walking - I can imagine how perfect you've been trying to keep it

If it was me, because you say it's not noticeable to anyone but you, I would have the dealer pay me the cash for what his repair would cost, stick that aside and use it when you have something bad enough you have to get it fixed - You'll hate yourself much less when you do scratch it again

As for dipping the car - Some people love it. My sister has had it done on her last two Mercedes SLK's and she loves the look. It is nice to be able to make a non-permanent color change once in a while, but it doesn't look like 'real' paint, at least not to me. For a guy who loves a glossy black Caddy, I just don't see it as being anything you would be happy with . . . . just my opinion

Don

·
Registered
64 Posts
IMO, the OEM paint is factory baked (the bare shell, before they put anything in the car) and it's the best of the best - Anything done after that is not as good and frequently doesn't look as good, which is one reason they paint a whole panel and then blend with the panel in front and behind the damaged panel. A really talented guy can blend it almost perfectly . . . . but not every dealer has one of those

Just 2,000 miles per year and all that walking - I can imagine how perfect you've been trying to keep it

If it was me, because you say it's not noticeable to anyone but you, I would have the dealer pay me the cash for what his repair would cost, stick that aside and use it when you have something bad enough you have to get it fixed - You'll hate yourself much less when you do scratch it again

As for dipping the car - Some people love it. My sister has had it done on her last two Mercedes SLK's and she loves the look. It is nice to be able to make a non-permanent color change once in a while, but it doesn't look like 'real' paint, at least not to me. For a guy who loves a glossy black Caddy, I just don't see it as being anything you would be happy with . . . . just my opinion

Don
I like the idea of having the dealer compensate you for the damage and not getting it repaired. It will make you a happier person. You can quit parking two miles away because you no longer have to worry about the car getting scratched. Think about the angst you have been feeling over this. The trips to the dealer. The questioning over whether or not the body shop paint would look or wear as well factory.

Imagine a life where you don't worry about such things. Use the money and treat your wife to a nice dinner and night on the town in your shiny black Caddy where it will be too dark for anyone to notice the tiny imperfection.

This was a blessing. ;)

C

·
0 Posts
As for dipping the car - Some people love it. My sister has had it done on her last two Mercedes SLK's and she loves the look.
How do you "dip" the cars? Do you fill a small swimming pool with the stuff and drop the cars into it?

C

·
0 Posts
Don't you ever park in a parking lot? What about all those door dings. What about all those rock chips (unless you never take it out on the highway)?
Parking lot door dings are a thing of the past for me. I bought a wide and thick black molding strip for all my cars, and stick it exactly at the widest part of the body from the front fender across both doors to the back fender. No more dings, EVER!!

As for rock chips, all of my cars have factory splash/mud deflectors. Both items are a must for all new cars, as they keep body maintenance low and better reselling value after twenty or more years.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Here is how to determine whether you should paint or just leave it.

Ask yourself this question, will you scrutinize the paint job more so than the existing faint marks to the point you wish you never had it painted? If so, you might just as well leave it alone. I have never seen a paint repair be so good that it looks factory. Even is it does look factory, every time you see any sort of shading on the car you are going to think they did not get the paint matched properly. No matter what, either way, you are going to be bothered by it so it might be just as well to leave it as is.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Parking lot door dings are a thing of the past for me. I bought a wide and thick black molding strip for all my cars, and stick it exactly at the widest part of the body from the front fender across both doors to the back fender. No more dings, EVER!!

As for rock chips, all of my cars have factory splash/mud deflectors. Both items are a must for all new cars, as they keep body maintenance low and better reselling value after twenty or more years.
Any pics? I imagine this may be ugly

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts