GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks for looking at my question.

I'll get straight to the point I'm looking to get a really good mid size fuel efficient car the following are my driving conditions that I have to deal with.

State - Michigan "Metro-Detroit"
Work Drive - Freeway 90% Side Roads 10% Round trip 48 miles
Non Work Drive - 10/20 mile radius around my house don't go up-north or long distance drives "Most of the time I come straight home for work for the day and don't go anywhere else"

I'm looking to see if a Volt would be right for me to lease I'm also looking at a Prius. Right now I have a Chevy Equinox and I get 22/32 mpg. I'm filling up every 9/10 days and putting in around $100/120 a month in gas

Any help would be great to shine light I love the idea and I love the look of the car but I want to make sure this would work in my life for me driving the way I do.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Decisions decisions

For me a low mileage lease kept the cost down so my overall about of pocket monthly cost is ~$120.00 including gas savings. It looks like you will need at least 12,000 miles per year and likely a bit more. Ask a dealer to give you the out of pocket and monthly costs for purchase and lease. You can make a better informed decision then. If you do purchase, the battery has a warrantee for 100,000 miles or 8 years whichever comes first. The battery will not stop working after that of course, but the range might diminish slowly. GM may offer battery upgrades in the future with newer technology and probably more range and lower costs. If they don't and there is money to be made, someone else will. The quality build of the Volt will ensure it will last a very long time in my opinion. Let us know your decision!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@JDan

Thanks for the info I actually take 15,000 miles but when I was going to pick one up for my wife the sales person was trying to show us other cars and really was putting down the Volt... I did a lot of research on the car and it sounds great I'm just not sure on why they are really dogging the car... I just really wish I can get an overall consensus with multiple people that have a semi equal drive as I do and their experience driving in the Winter/Distance... Looking to see if it's all smoke and mirrors for the mpg's they are saying it to be or is it true..

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Assuming you can't plug in at work your 48 mile roundtrip would probably be unattainable purely electric at freeway speeds (so you'd need to burn a little gas--say, a quart a day during the summer, a half gallon a day in normal winter, maybe 3 quarts a day in what we're in this week.

If you can plug in at work it's all good.

I also own a 2011 Prius. Realistically you could get the EPA 48 mpg in the summer and 43 mpg in the winter if you do the speed limit +. I'll let you do the math on that.

Qualitatively, you owe it to yourself to test drive each.

If you lean towards the Prius see if you can rent one for a couple of days (many Toyota dealers offer new Toyota rentals). Some people find the Prius seats uncomfortable (though I love them).

I have a 38 mile roundtrip to Warren every day. The quickest is I-75 and I-696 but I choose to do Woodward Ave and mile roads since they cut about 5 miles out of the daily miles and the slower speeds give me better range.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@CSS28

Thanks for the write back and your write I'm unable to charge at work.

When you charge your Volt do you have 120 or 240v? If you have a 120v how long does it take to charge once the battery is gone?

Yea I was trying to do the math/outlook gas range wise...

Overall do you see a savings with the Volt?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
@CSS28

Thanks for the write back and your write I'm unable to charge at work.

When you charge your Volt do you have 120 or 240v? If you have a 120v how long does it take to charge once the battery is gone?

Yea I was trying to do the math/outlook gas range wise...

Overall do you see a savings with the Volt?
I now have 240V, courtesy of a now-expired DTE program but I used 120V for 3 months.

At 120V if your circuit's good for 12 Amps long-term (either a dedicated 15 A circuit or a shared 20 A) you can charge bottom to top in about 9 1/2 hours. The default charging rate is 8 A and you're looking at 14 + hours at that rate.

With respect to savings I commuted gasoline free from July thru December. I'm burning 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of gasoline this week due to the temperatures.

A full charge will take about 12 - 13 kWh from the outlet. You need to find out your electric rate. Mine was $.16/kWh with the 120V. I have a special time of use rate on a separate meter that costs me $.09/kWh. Once again, I'll let you do the math.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
mdanieltech
"Looking to see if it's all smoke and mirrors for the mpg's they are saying it to be or is it true"

I did a spreadsheet analysis comparing the Volt to a 50MPG ICE car and found the break even is about 78 mile daily commute assuming you only charge at home, warmer weather, and all electric range (AER) of 40 miles (many here get more). In the winter the daily commute drops to 40 miles conservatively assuming (AER) of 20 miles (again many here get more). So in IMO the Volt will be better with a daily commute up to the summer value. I'm sure my analysis isn't foolproof, but I wanted to get an idea before I decided on a Volt. Also the driving experience is wonderful, quite sporty even. And the build quality of the Volt is excellent. So MPG definitely is not the only criteria. :)

As for the snow, the only day I didn't drive was when we had 18" in one day a bit ago. Other than that the car is great in the snow.

Check out this post from kwoody88 form Atlanta!
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?96394

and VoltStates which gets its data from OnStar.
http://www.voltstats.net/

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@JDan

Thanks for the great information, I'm going to try to see if I can get a test drive this week and get a idea if it would be write for me... I forgot to mention I'm semi tall 6'2"

Now overall space in the car how is it we have a newborn is there enough space for a baby seat and stroller?? I mean it's a hatchback so there should be a good amount of space right?

·
Registered
313 Posts
mdanieltech my son is 6'4" and he can fit reasonably well. He does have to slide the seat all the way back, so a car seat behind you would work and still allow another person in the other back seat. Leg room is very limited in the back with the seats all the way back. A stroller should fit, but it might be tight if it is one of the larger ones. An umbrella stroller would work well. Also you can fold each seat down separately as need. Hope this helps. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
359 Posts
In my opinion the volt has great traction in snow (weight) but no clearance (a few inches can be a problem). In the cold all bets are off in terms of MPG as the engine runs more the colder it gets. I love my volt, but you should think about clearance and cold.

·
Registered
44 Posts
@JDan

Thanks for the info I actually take 15,000 miles ........... Looking to see if it's all smoke and mirrors for the mpg's they are saying it to be or is it true..
This is about the same mileage I travel each year and I am definitely considering the Volt. The additional advantage for me is that I have the ability to charge at work. Don't worry about the mileage being smoke and mirrors. In most cases people are getting more mileage than GM advertises. I have read that you can get up to 50 miles on a charge and some people tout to have gotten more. Temperature affects the range so on really cold days you will see a range slightly less than what GM advertises.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you so much everyone for responding!!!

I actually took a test drive in 2 days ago was ready to lease it then was sticker struck :eek:

My lease has 14 months to go on it, but I'm doubling my payments to move it quicker I can do it in half so fingers crossed by June/July I can be out of my lease...

I simply love the Volt when I took it for a ride!!!! I'm a total tech/nerd so all the computer outputs/information giving out I was in heaven!!

Sooo I'm counting down the days/weeks/months to I get it I can't stop talking about how nice and quite and smooth the ride was I was very very impressed how great Chevy did on it... If I can't get a Tesla the Volt is the next best.. Also by driving it on non high aways here in Michigan taking 14/12 mile all the way to work I may not need to have a charger at work with applying the breaks it will re-energize the battery....

Now only if my tax returns come in quicker!!!

My one last question before I go it's true you have to fill it with Premium Gas?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Yes, it requires Premium gas.

Living in Michigan with my 38 mile a day commute though I've only bought 7 gallons for it so far.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My final and hopefully last question!!

Has any installed a second electric meter on their house to take advantage of lower rates?? If so did you do it or hire a company or does DTE do it.

On the flip side if your powering from the non 240v what is your additional electricity cost per month??

Thanks once again!!

Mike

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
One major issue to consider in your area. In very cold weather the Volt will force the engine to run to generate heat. The electric heater will cut your electric range in HALF. You can preheat the car while plugged in and that will help. But in cold weather you can expect to run the engine a lot more than normal. So factor that in. All EV's have issues with cold weather. Be sure to order the electric seat heaters. They are a "must have" in cold climates.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Very understanding on the weather issues but overall I'll take 3 months out of 12 with bad weather to get great mpg for the rest of the months.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got a quote today

2014 Volt "Base model"
15,000 miles a year
$3600 down
$250 a month

I want the safety package 1 but not going to pay $500 more just for a camera and sensors.

Good deal or not??

This also takes care of my 2012 Equinox

1 - 20 of 26 Posts