GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question yesterday under the DREADED CLICKING DISEASE thread (https://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?298682-I-think-I-have-the-DREADED-CLICKING-DISEASE) that I started two years back, but no one has answered, so I'm going to post it anew:

"The clicking is back. It's only when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal (I drive in L only). So instead of going back to the dealer, I'm taking the Volt to my nearby trusted all-purpose garage and having them "torque my nuts". Is this a bad idea? What's the worst thing that could happen if I just ignore the sound, and pretend that I can't hear it? Will the bottom of the car fall off? Is this a real problem or an imaginary one? I really don't know how much time and money to devote to/waste on this subtle, harmless little clicking noise...."

Does anyone know, if this is the axle nut/washer issue, is it important enough of a problem to worry about, or should I just learn to love it and live with it? I'd be grateful for responses because I'm taking the car in this afternoon. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I think it’s worth having him torque them, and if that doesn’t do it, then there’s probably an issue with the axle.

The worst that probably would happen is that they would have to replace part of the axle.

On one of our gen 2s, the tightening seemed to do it (for now).

On the other, part of the axle was replaced.

And for us the issue was when in L as well.

I don’t have any empirical evidence, but I’m convinced that the regeneration forces on the axle are contributing to this.

I doubt there is a safety issue, and I’m not sure if it is left unaddressed if there is a problem. I think for a very quiet EV type vehicle, the noise is more noticeable/bothersome than it would be in an ICE vehicle, but I really don’t know if it was left unaddressed what would happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
If I were going to the trouble of bringing it to my mechanic, I would pick up the new improved nuts and washers and let him put those on. The parts are cheap. All you would have to pay him is labor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Volt started making a clicking/tapping noise almost immediately after purchase. It progressively got worse until it started happening even when I just unlocked the car. Dealer determined after lengthy investigation that it needed the Brake Booster Assembly replaced. Fortunately it was occurring so often they were able to witness it. I just picked the car up today and the problem seems to have been addressed for now.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'd love to know too. I took it to the dealer over a year ago for this and they replaced the right front axle. All was fine until about a month ago when it came back. I really doubt it's the same axle again...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bottom line: they tightened the axle nuts and charged me a grand total of $33! And the click seems to have gone away. (However ... when the mechanic gave me my fob back, he told me that the shop owner had taken my Volt out for a drive first, and could not hear any clicks at all. Then he said that he himself had once been warned off "chasing gremlins". The noive! As if these clicks are gremlins.... Anyway, it's gone for now, at least.)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I'm glad it seems to be fixed.

As for your question of whether it is worth the trouble to fix it- I don't know the answer about this specific problem, but in general with my cars, if there is any kind of mechanical problem, I assume it will only get worse over time, and eventually could affect safety or leave me stranded. So I always get it fixed. Maybe not for a minor cosmetic or un-needed convenience feature, but always for mechanical. Driving has too much inherent risk to ignore that stuff. I don't want to lose a wheel at 75 mph in heavy traffic with my whole family on board.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I just noticed this on my 2013. I've got ~85k on it and I park in a parking garage - I have to go real slow on and off the ramps and I notice this at low speeds as the drivetrains seems to engage or disengage. It's a single click that occurs somewhere under the front end - passenger side I think. I'll have them tighten the axle nuts and/or check the brake calipers.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
"The clicking is back. It's only when I take my foot off the accelerator pedal (I drive in L only). So instead of going back to the dealer, I'm taking the Volt to my nearby trusted all-purpose garage and having them "torque my nuts". Is this a bad idea? What's the worst thing that could happen if I just ignore the sound, and pretend that I can't hear it? Will the bottom of the car fall off? Is this a real problem or an imaginary one? I really don't know how much time and money to devote to/waste on this subtle, harmless little clicking noise...."
Worst case is that it won't help because the bits are too worn to actually stop shifting, even when the nut is torqued down properly. In that case, it's "replace the axle" when you get time and money, for about $500 at dealership prices. In the meantime, it's still safe to drive, but obviously, it's annoying and should get fixed.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
So I noticed on my 2014 about 1 yr ago or so the passenger side clicked, tightened the axle nut torquing and it went away. This year my driver side in early summer started clicking and torquing did nothing BUT I also notice if i Don't use the brakes the click seems none existent going forward or backwards as I tried it without braking in a empty parking lot but it always clicks if I use the brakes. Now one mentioned is it the regen braking over time causing the issue and I am wondering the same thing because of the general torq factor of the transmision itself slowing down etc. So is it my brakes potentially in terms of i.e. caliper or just not enough movment causing the slip from just driving forward and then backwards which I tried to do abruptly to force the slippage. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
If the Axle needs to be replaced, is that covered under the power train warranty?
I happen to ask my dealer when I went to pick up the nut and washer and they claim no. But one wouldt think it should be and GM should have done a recall or at least cover it considering how many are occurring.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Worst case is that it won't help because the bits are too worn to actually stop shifting, even when the nut is torqued down properly. In that case, it's "replace the axle" when you get time and money, for about $500 at dealership prices. In the meantime, it's still safe to drive, but obviously, it's annoying and should get fixed.
Do mind expanding on what you mean by BITS? Are you referring to the washer 3 tabs? or?
My click seems to occur after having braked, shifted to forward or reverse and once starting to move in that directional motion (not the act ofshifting itself) It is ias if the braking action holding the hub while the axle/washer rotates still a little?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
My 2013 started doing this on the drivers side. It is defiantly torque/load related. I can hear it click when I accelerate and also during deceleration. I have fixed it for now by turning up the radio but I suspect it will need to be addressed at some point. It does just seem like a bit of excess play so it may or may not get worse. It seems to be in the hub but of course drive train noises can travel along axels and suspension parts.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had it happen on the passenger side, I went to the nearest O'Reilly, rented a torque wrench and nut for the day (Free) then tightened it to spec. No problems since. I don't see any reason why you need to go to a mechanic and waste your time, unless you are not physically able to tighten it.

Keep in mind, it's easier to tighten it to spec than to open a jar of pickles.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Yes if it works. On my passenger side a year or so ago tightening worked. Now this year on my driver side it is not working. So I will try the nut and washer replacement soon. One GM guru suggests the axle otherwise if the nut and washer does not quiet it. Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had it happen on the passenger side, I went to the nearest O'Reilly, rented a torque wrench and nut for the day (Free) then tightened it to spec. No problems since. I don't see any reason why you need to go to a mechanic and waste your time, unless you are not physically able to tighten it.

Keep in mind, it's easier to tighten it to spec than to open a jar of pickles.
I know this sounds stupid, but can someone take a picture of where the nuts are for reference?

When it happens again, I’ll try to tighten them myself.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
739 Posts
Well I started getting the clicking noise on the front right side, also when changing traction direction (accelerate or decelerate).

I got myself a torque wrench, and it needed 1/4 turn to match the 185lb. But it did not fix the issue at all.
Just in case it was the wheel itself, I lifted the car and torqued the wheel nuts.
Still no difference...

And I found this site listing the powertrain warranty
https://www.yourchevy.com/Chevy-Powertrain-Warranty

It says
"Drive Systems
All internally lubricated parts, final-drive housings, axle shafts and bearings, constant velocity joints, propeller shafts and universal joints. All mounts, supports, seals and gaskets as well as any electrical components internal to the drive axle. Also covered are any actuators directly connected to the drive axle (i.e., front differential actuator, etc). Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are all wheel bearings, drive wheel front and rear hub bearings, locking hubs, drive system cooling, lines, hoses, radiator, sensors, wiring and electrical connectors related to drive systems as well as any drive system control module and/or module programming."

So I would think that means Axle parts should be included...

Will give a call to the dealer in the near future and find out I guess

1 - 20 of 24 Posts