GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

So, I have been lurking around this site for months now, and I cannot seem to decide when the best time to buy a Volt is. Part of me is committed to doing it this year because I can really benefit from the Tax Credit, but also because there are some great deals to be had out there. However, here are the questions:

Should I wait a bit for:
a) all the Leases to come back so the market gets a little softer?
b) for the 15' model to be out so I can strike a deal on a 14' (maybe even on a 13' although I doubt that).
c) is there a model which I should stay away from, and / or a set of options which are a must have? (and if so, would it be too much to ask that you tell me what I should aim to acquire the car for?)

Thank you for your time with all these.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Hi everyone!

So, I have been lurking around this site for months now, and I cannot seem to decide when the best time to buy a Volt is. Part of me is committed to doing it this year because I can really benefit from the Tax Credit, but also because there are some great deals to be had out there. However, here are the questions:

Should I wait a bit for:
a) all the Leases to come back so the market gets a little softer?
b) for the 15' model to be out so I can strike a deal on a 14' (maybe even on a 13' although I doubt that).
c) is there a model which I should stay away from, and / or a set of options which are a must have? (and if so, would it be too much to ask that you tell me what I should aim to acquire the car for?)

Thank you for your time with all these.
Since you can benefit from the tax credit, start looking for a great deal now. Be committed. As soon as you find a great deal, go after it. From a "model to avoid" standpoint, all the models were reliable. The 2011 and 2012s were particularly the best. The 2013 tended to have heater issues, but easily solved under warranty. I wouldn't advise being too concerned about the model year. Buying new will be covered under factory warranty and all models have really been very reliable. Must have options are back up camera. Everything else is up to you. I would suggest getting leather and heated seats though, but that is getting into personal preference. Leather is just so easy to care for and you don't have to worry about staining them.

Figure out what you are willing to spend and what a great deal is. Look, look, call, email,....yada yada. When you find exactly what you are looking for in the price you have determined is a great deal. Buy it.

Any left over 2013s should be sub $30k. Anything below 30k for a loaded 2013 is a good deal. They are out there and are not too hard to find.

My biggest piece of advice is figure out what you are wiling to pay. Don't settle for "what will you sell me the car for?" Once you understand what you will pay and what you want, the rest is easy. Email the dealership and say I will buy this car for X amount of dollars. They will either say yes or no. If no, move on. If yes, keep your word and buy the car. But you can only do that once you decided what a great deal is for you.

The best time to buy is after you have done your homework and know what a great deal is and what you are willing to pay. Buying any other time is really a good way to get burned by the dealership. Always negotiate with yourself. What I mean by that is know what you are willing to pay and what a great deal is.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Must haves I would say are the "Safety 1" package(backup camera etc) and heated seats for a cold to semi cold climate. The cloth seats are nice enough.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
You should never wait to anything you want to do, Ever.

You can ALWAYS get more money, or really anything.

The ONLY commodity you cannot get more of is time........You have a finite amount, and making things worse you have no measure of how much you have remaining.

Dont delay anything that makes you happy.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
The ONLY commodity you cannot get more of is time........You have a finite amount, and making things worse you have no measure of how much you have remaining.
^^^^
This, want it, get it.

As for the leases being turned in, that has no connection to buying new or the prices offered.

·
Registered
351 Posts

Dont delay anything that makes you happy.
A rational way of this is to think that every day that you put off driving a Volt, is money you are throwing away by potentially not saving it in gas.

Buying now or later during the year will get you the same credit if you already know you are eligible, why not start saving now?

Are you trading? If yes, the more time passes, the older and less valuable your trade gets. Try to get the Private Offer money.

I bought in June but though that July deals were going to be better yet that wasn't the case. Good luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
There are deals to be had on '14 Volts right now. I just paid $30,400 for a base model. Got 0% for 72 months too. If you happen to be in Texas I can point you to a dealer that has another one listed online for $29,800. ONLY caveat is to be aware that the '15's have a marginally larger battery. Decide if that matters to you and now is a good time to jump if you know how to hunt deals.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Best to do it now given the deals and that you can use the tax credit. Since on principle I'm reluctant to agree with Elemental I'll say that it's better to start the savings (and fun) sooner. LOL My guess is that the deals next year won't be a whole lot better than this year since they'll manage production for the new model.

Agree that heated seats are great and that a backup camera is helpful. I like the BOSE.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Since on principle I'm reluctant to agree with Elemental
Admit it! It feels good. Come to the DARK side of the force!

Give in to your feelings.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Unless you're in a rush to get a new car in the next 12 months, I'd wait a year for the MY2016.

I plan to keep my Volt for a long time (10+ years). So I'd prefer the idea of waiting a bit longer to buy a Volt, but then be able to enjoy the benefits of a Gen 2 Volt (whatever those turn out to be exactly :p ) for many years to come. But that's just me.

When I was shopping for my Volt, I was driving an old Civic at the time. It wasn't in great shape, but it did get good gas mileage and I wasn't having to dump a ton of money into repairs. So there was no particular urgency for me to get a new vehicle apart from the obvious benefits of a nice, new car.

I ended up waiting 5-6 months in order to custom order a Volt with MyLink, which ended up pushing me from a MY2012 to a MY2013. The unexpected new improvements to the MY2013 model (greater efficiency, greater range, Hold mode, discounts on some options, new Safety Package options, etc.) made me VERY glad that I waited.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
...You can ALWAYS get more money, or really anything.

Agreed, " time is the stuff of which life is made." (Ben Franklin I think)

This is my new signature, thank you.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Agreed, " time is the stuff of which life is made." (Ben Franklin I think)

This is my new signature, thank you.
Thank you for using it! :) Its an Elemental-Original I used in my class.

In the context of "You are giving me hours of your time. A commodity you cannot renew, and have no idea how much you have left. I am giving you my time, in exchange for money. You are giving me your time in exchange for my training and experiance. You owe it to yourself to make the most of it."

·
Registered
36 Posts
Run ALL of the numbers and do what those numbers tell you to do, unemotionally. Follow that in every decision you make. You won't be much fun but you'll be amazed at the bank account you'll build. I had that business acumen forced upon me by an owner/CEO boss who lived and breathed it. He was wildly successful -- not so popular though.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All,

I cannot appreciate your responses enough (well, especially those volt Oriented). Anyways, I will start looking at the pricing, and if anyone in NJ has a dealer suggestion, I will gladly consider it! The question (despite the time quotes) is whether waiting for the 15' to hit the market will help or hinder when buying (say a 14' or even a 13').

I guess that is what I am struggling with. Someone commented on the 16' and while that is a fair thought, I do not think that will work :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Well, cars depreciate, that should be expected. Waiting for the 15 to come out will slowly erode pricing power for the 14s, especially since the 15 will have a slightly larger battery. For a 13, right now is as good a time as any to purchase. For a 14, pricing will slowly erode. For a 15, they will probably command a slightly higher price in general until the 14s are more cleared out. My main point still stands. You need to come together on what you want and can afford and are willing to pay. Once you decide that, the rest is easy and will fall into place.

My advice if you are committed to buying is if you want a 13, get one now while the selection is still fairly good. If you want a 14, figure out what you are willing to pay, and then keep looking until you find it. That may be days, weeks, months...

If you want to wait on a 15, expect to pay slightly more than you would for a 14 for awhile. How long? Anyone's guess. My best guess would be until the 14 are getting scarce, so probably about another 6-12 months.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts