GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are almost all highway miles and has been driven little on the battery. I would like to move forward but would like input from this forum.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
97,000 miles on my 2012 Volt and it has been problem free.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
These are almost all highway miles and has been driven little on the battery. I would like to move forward but would like input from this forum.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome :)

They are really well built cars. Being outside of the Voltec warranty would be a concern for me personally. I would need to save a significant amount compared to say a 50-60K mile car to make that purchase worth my time.

If you are able to pay out of pocket for a significant repair, I say go for it. If not, search for a unit with lower miles and a bit more money.

What options are on this 2012 you are looking at and what is the asking price?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hello For 3-4K maybe. For 8K-10K??? IDN think so. I saw two 2104 for $15K with 15,000 miles back in March down here in FL. Which i know is hard to find, but there where two.
What % of the 2012 volts have made it past 95K miles???? Is that data available? Could you buy a used battery from a wreck if the battery went?
Is the ICE eng in good shape. cause it will still run the car even when the battery is dead. I Think.
It's a bet in any case

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Is the ICE eng in good shape. cause it will still run the car even when the battery is dead. I Think.
If the HV battery is bad, you cannot drive it on just the engine. That being said, I have not heard of a single person replacing the battery out of warranty. The HV battery is probably the most reliable part of the car. Even Sparkie with 319,000 miles is seeing no battery issues. I would not hesitate for a second with buying a high mileage Volt because of the battery. If the Volt is in good condition, it will probably last a lot longer (with fewer issues) than a lower mileage ICE driven car.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have an oem level scan tool and this was the first car I have ever ran it on that showed no codes at all on any of the numerous modules and mine has 190k. Runs amazing.

But, I'm a risk taker. I figure that if anything big does go, in still well under what I would have paid for a low mileage used one. I just prefer high mileage cars that cost a ton new, to let the others eat the depreciation while I enjoy the deal!

How much is the asking price?

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
No way I buy a Volt with expired powertrain warranty, unless it's a giveaway price. That's me, though, I don't like owning a whole bunch of complex systems if I have to repair them, "out of pocket".

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
No way I buy a Volt with expired powertrain warranty, unless it's a giveaway price. That's me, though, I don't like owning a whole bunch of complex systems if I have to repair them, "out of pocket".
Reluctantly I have to side with Jmaj. I'm usually a tinkering and self repairing kind of guy so older cars didn't used to bother me. The Volt, that's a whole 'nother animal entirely.

Usually the statement of "it's not like any other car" is a good one, but not when it comes to possible repairs.

However if you are getting it dirt cheap and can eat the cost if something goes blooey in the drivetrain then sure, go for it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
SHORT ANSWER:

These cars have a great track record. Sure it's a complicated car, but it's proven to be very reliable, as chevy really did their homework and designed this car to last and take care of itself. It sounds like you found one with mostly highway miles which means that the battery is mostly new. I bought mine with 87,000 miles and it had a whopping 880 total EV miles on it.

A lot of the car is still like a normal gas car. Highway miles are very kind to both. You will likely have little to no range degradation with a car like that, as even normally driven volts don't seem to have battery issues even above 200,000 miles.

LONG ANSWER:

I bought one with 87,000 miles for $10,000. I could have bought a lot of other cars for that, but that was my budget and I really wanted to get into an EV. If you compare this car to a Leaf which can also be bought for $10,000 all day long with low miles and a warranty, I'm way more comfortable with this car for many reasons. The batteries don't ever seem to wear out, unlike the leaf. I also thought: It seems to be super reliable, but if something expensive did go out, it wouldn't be that much different than a trans or engine going out in a gas car (still expensive as hell). For me, I would find the parts in a junkyard and change them myself if there was any way I could anyway. And for that it depends what kind of car owner you are, handy or not.

Regardless, these cars have been proven to be VERY reliable just as much as any other, even into high miles.

I bought knowing I would put 1000 miles a month on it until I sell it. If I didn't buy an EV, I would have bought a chevy cruze, which would have gotten me 40mpg, costing me $50 a month. There is a free EV charger (wind powered) an 8 min walk from my work, so I only charge at home on the weekends. So far I've averaged $4 a month in electricity for charging, and use about .25 gallons of gas per month in the odd occasion that I didn't have time to charge up enough. I realize that not everyone can charge for free, but it saves me $46 a month in fuel, and I'm doing something good for the environment, as well as helping to push a technology that I'm proud of. I'm saving $552 a year, and the way I see it, even if I spent an average of $552 a year on EV specific repairs I would be ahead because it's what I want to support. In 5 years, that gives me some $2700 toward EV specific repairs, and larger depreciation because it is an EV with more miles. I'm willing to take that risk. It is a risk, because I'm sure this car has some stupid expensive parts on it that I couldn't replace myself. Then again, I'm willing to part out the car if I had to, which I'm willing to bet I could get my money out that way. Those are my thoughts, and the reasons I bought a high mileage EV. I've only had it 3 months, but so far would buy another one in a heartbeat even if something major failed tomorrow. Sure, the new crop of EVs are really nice, but I simply can't afford one. Mine is a 2013, and I'm thinking in 3-5 years I'll get another 75-80k mileage EV.

·
Registered
902 Posts
If the owner is donating the Volt to you for no cost, then a vehicle with 100,000 miles is a good deal. Instead, you should get a low-interest loan on a much newer vehicle that did not run the range extender generator for most of those miles. Certified Used is a much better prospect. You should not borrow money at credit card rates to repair such an old vehicle when the repairs come along. Your money is better spent on a newer vehicle with less chance of maintenance headaches. You should be able to get a used Volt with under 50,000 miles financed with payments of $200 per month.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Just know Base 2014 and 2015 MY Gen 1's were selling new for $18K to $20K after incentives, tax credits, etc. When running the numbers, use that as your starting price -- not the 2012 MSRP that was inflated, lowered by a $7,500 tax credit, lowered $5K by GM in 2014, and carried heavy incentives in later years. If you do that, you'll be on the money.

As fas as mechanical worthiness, Gen 1 is incredibly solid and shown no issues going to 300K (or more). We've yet to see the upper limit of reliability. However, once you pass 100K miles, you are on your own for repair costs and those "could" be expensive. Hard to say because we're not seeing any failures to have a baseline of what the repair costs could be.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
If the owner is donating the Volt to you for no cost, then a vehicle with 100,000 miles is a good deal. Instead, you should get a low-interest loan on a much newer vehicle that did not run the range extender generator for most of those miles. Certified Used is a much better prospect. You should not borrow money at credit card rates to repair such an old vehicle when the repairs come along. Your money is better spent on a newer vehicle with less chance of maintenance headaches. You should be able to get a used Volt with under 50,000 miles financed with payments of $200 per month.
This is good advice. Never take on payments for a out of warranty vehicle. Pay cash or buy newer.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
This is good advice. Never take on payments for a out of warranty vehicle. Pay cash or buy newer.
If you are buying a vehicle on credit, nothing wrong with buying a used vehicle outside of the warranty period. Nothing at all.
While it is personal choice, the advice posted above is simply not across the board.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I got my high mileage 2012 on 1.9% interest. Nothing wrong with using credit of it's low interest.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
With as tanked as the Volt's prices are I can't see the cost differential being worth it for one with 100k vs. one with 35k.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I'd like to know what price range we're talking about here for the MY12 with 100k miles. I just recently bought a MY13 lease turn in (premium w/ safety 1&2) with 38K miles for $13k in Knoxville, TN. Does this car have a clean carfax with a complete service record? I would be hesitant to buy used without those things.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I'd like to know what price range we're talking about here for the MY12 with 100k miles. I just recently bought a MY13 lease turn in (premium w/ safety 1&2) with 38K miles for $13k in Knoxville, TN. Does this car have a clean carfax with a complete service record? I would be hesitant to buy used without those things.
As a buyer, Carfax and service records are readily available, all you need is the VIN.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts