GM Volt Forum banner

Should GM improve the power cord and plug on the 120 volt Voltec Charger?

• Yes. Mine gets hot! This needs to be fixed.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • No. It's fine.

Votes: 44 57.1%
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
reply to "The manual does not say that you should not use a GFCI outlet. However, it says that if you need to use an extension cord, it should be 12 or 14 AWG and GFCI protected."

Yes .. that is correct .. you should use a larger size wire if you are going to add to the existing cord... you are adding to the length with a cord so it should be larger not the same size.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I just found out GM has issued a RECALL for these chargers involving the cord. I checked my 2012 VIN number and it DOES qualify for the replacement charger. I guess GM listened to us.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
FWIW, I installed a brand new, highest quality outlet for my 120v cord, the the plug DOES NOT get warm. Contact resistance can happen at either end of that connection, so plugs getting hot might not be the fault of the plug. I've never had it under power with the long cord wrapped up, so I can't speak to that - it IS on the skinny side for the current. I use the 240v charger now instead anyway, and it's fine, the 120v went back into the "trunk" to be used on visits, perhaps. It'd have to be a long visit to be much use, though.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
looks like GM is going to play it safe. Not a recall, but just in case measure, looks like new cords are coming.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
How are we being notified? Can I just drop into the Chevy dealer and swap the cordset?
You need to contact your dealer. They have to inspect your current charger to determine if it qualifies for a replacement. Odds are that they will need to order you a replacement. It's worth doing. The new design does solve all of the issues mentioned on this thread.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Contact your Dealer. They may just need the numbers off your cord to order a new one. Then you can just drive by and swap out.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
1. its the old one - you get a replacement as it was a recall -not really a recall but...
2. Its a newer one - you get a replacement as its covered under std parts replacement.

Remember number 1 said you can replace 2 units.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The 120V charger that came with my 2013 is fine, it never got hot (warm yes, hot no) the few times I used it before I installed the 240V charger. I assume it is the "new" model, although it really doesn't matter to me since I carry it in the car and would only use it if I wanted to charge while staying at a hotel or some such thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ref a 2012 Volt, I have the new black power charger cord but are reading 130 degree at the plug...is this normal? I have tried different GFI outlets on separate circuits, but get the same temp results. I believe on this charger cord you can switch from 8 to 12 amps (orange button on the front). Figured if I selected 8 amps, it would reduce the load/heat?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
When I first posted this thread the Poll showed an overwhelming lean toward "Yes. Mine gets hot!"...

Now after Chevy has had two replacement campaigns and changed the entire EVSE to default to 8 amps on the 2013 models... The Poll is now showing... "No it's fine."

Time for a new poll... Should Chevy let the owner set the Volt to charge at 12 amps by default if they want to?

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Yes. It might default lower from the factory, but you should be able to set it as desired - liability on you.

They should indeed use better wire and connectors, period. This is a pretty unique situation - what other high power thing do you plug and unplug, and perhaps drag the wire around, daily? I don't even do that with my electric lawn tools and chainsaw, and yet I have to replace cords fairly often with "pro for a crap hardware store" grade things. The Volt, since it's supposed to last 10 years plus - no excuse to give me Lowes or Home Depot lower grade junk and charge hundreds for it.

I've gone through one SPX L2 in warranty, and the second one is about to give out - crap connector/cable for the conditions. I rarely use the one they provide, saving that for emergencies, since it's so obviously too cheap to work well it's not funny.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
The poll needs a choice of "The strain relief on the plug needs improvement". My two 110v Voltec charge cords have broken strain reliefs, and are being replaced under warranty. Seems like a better design is in order.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
They should indeed use better wire and connectors, period. This is a pretty unique situation - what other high power thing do you plug and unplug, and perhaps drag the wire around, daily? I don't even do that with my electric lawn tools and chainsaw, and yet I have to replace cords fairly often with "pro for a crap hardware store" grade things. The Volt, since it's supposed to last 10 years plus - no excuse to give me Lowes or Home Depot lower grade junk and charge hundreds for it.
I don't disagree with you. On a product in which you use everyday and runs continuous power you need good quality connections.

As a note we have a vacuum cleaner that uses 12A. We have two cats that shed a lot of fur so it's used a fair bit. It uses a two wire 17AWG cord! It gets warm but doesn't seem to get too hot. And people thought 16AWG was bad for the 120V EVSE.

·
Super Moderator
6,277 Posts
61 - 75 of 75 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.