GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that everyone except GM is showing prototype BEVs. GM is going BEV in China but not in North America. Should GM North America be renamed to Gasoline Motors?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
You mean the company that's sold an affordable BEV since 2017, and used up its entire quota of tax credits?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you looked at their EV sales since then. They're on track to be below 20,000 for the year. GM has no hybrids on the market and their single BEV is selling like molasses, even fewer than the Honda Clarity.

GM had a huge advantage in EVs and squandered it to the short term profits of extremely overpriced SUVs and "light" trucks. Face it, that 15% off MSRP offer being advertised right now still leaves a large profit margin on the table.

Most of GM's EV tax credits were used up in sub 100 mile range BEVs and the Volt. The idea behind that tax credit was to allow auto makers to recoup some of the R&D cost of developing EVs. When was the last time you saw an advertisement for the Bolt? How about the Volt after it's initial launch in 2011? If you don't advertise no one will know it exists, especially when your dealership network doesn't want to sell the car because it will cut their profit in half by nearly eliminating maintenance and repairs.

My gut feel is that GM North America will be the last place GM starts to mass market BEVs.

Note - I'd love to be proven wrong but I just don't see GM North America changing its stripes.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
16,17 volt
663 Posts
California is a mass market to gm
sounds like California is not buying from gm because they supported trumpster in emissions roll back
maybe its time to replace who- ever

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
GM has shot its bolt (pun not intended….well maybe a little bit, it's to good not to) as far as Federal rebates go but the technology gathered does not go away. There is now no rush to put out another iteration baring change in legislation. Let the others catch up numbers wise, see which way the wind is blowing (re" SUVx EVs, EV trucks etc.) Give them more time to set up their second wind strategy to counter what the others are doing while keeping their toe in the waters in China.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds like California is not buying from gm because they supported trumpster in emissions roll back
This is related to a flaw in the Clean Air Act that gave California the authority to set their own emissions standards. It has nothing to do with Trump other than his attempt to bring the entire US into the same standards.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
California has exempted SUVs and trucks from this requirement, which is what GM sells these days.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
You mean the company that's sold an affordable BEV since 2017, and used up its entire quota of tax credits?
Sure, but they are not doing what I want now so that means they have never done anything in the past nor will they do anything in the future with BEV's. Ignore all evidence that points otherwise... haha.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cadillac is not GM's mass market division.
Neither was the model S, but Tesla had to sell the S and X to get to the 3. I think GM tends to play closer to the vest than other OEMs and doesn't play the over promise under deliver game. As the video stated this design will be leverage by all GM brands. I think GM is well positioned relative to everyone. Time will certainly tell, either way.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
As the video stated this design will be leverage by all GM brands. I think GM is well positioned relative to everyone. Time will certainly tell, either way.
Yup, we should see more BEV;s from GM in the next 3 years, at least, that's what they have said.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Silverados and possibly Hummers.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
California has exempted SUVs and trucks from this requirement, which is what GM sells these days.
As I recall from an article they have not exempted SUVs and trucks, they've exempted certain applications (which may be an CUV or Truck). Since Ford sells these you can bet that's what they'll be buying. They bought $69 million from Ford over last 3 years. Want to bet that will go up? They no longer buy gas powered sedans except for certain public service vehicles . They won't be buying any more Bolts.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sure, but they are not doing what I want now so that means they have never done anything in the past nor will they do anything in the future with BEV's. Ignore all evidence that points otherwise... haha.
Look at the actual sales numbers - GM's EV sales have gone into the tank, even after dropping the price on the Bolt to cover the loss of the tax credit. As another poster after this pointed out GM does tend to play it closer to the vest, and I hope they're right in this case.

Also, on the way home today it seemed like every 10 cars or so wasn't a truck, it was a small CUV similar to what GM is preparing to sell in China. It makes me wonder why GM won't even attempt to sell it in the US - my guess is it would cut into truck sales, thus cutting into GM North America's profits.

·
Super Moderator
6,247 Posts
Have you looked at their EV sales since then. They're on track to be below 20,000 for the year. GM has no hybrids on the market and their single BEV is selling like molasses, even fewer than the Honda Clarity.

GM had a huge advantage in EVs and squandered it to the short term profits of extremely overpriced SUVs and "light" trucks. Face it, that 15% off MSRP offer being advertised right now still leaves a large profit margin on the table.

Most of GM's EV tax credits were used up in sub 100 mile range BEVs and the Volt. The idea behind that tax credit was to allow auto makers to recoup some of the R&D cost of developing EVs. When was the last time you saw an advertisement for the Bolt? How about the Volt after it's initial launch in 2011? If you don't advertise no one will know it exists, especially when your dealership network doesn't want to sell the car because it will cut their profit in half by nearly eliminating maintenance and repairs.

My gut feel is that GM North America will be the last place GM starts to mass market BEVs.

Note - I'd love to be proven wrong but I just don't see GM North America changing its stripes.
I completely agree. They had a lot of options and were plenty profitable to continue the *EV push that 'started' in 2010 with the first sale of the Volt. Lost track on how many rides I gave in my Volts and tried to help push more sales. Lot of Volt fans here who shared their experiences with families and friends too. Heck this was my first GM.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
Look at the actual sales numbers - GM's EV sales have gone into the tank, even after dropping the price on the Bolt to cover the loss of the tax credit. As another poster after this pointed out GM does tend to play it closer to the vest, and I hope they're right in this case.

Also, on the way home today it seemed like every 10 cars or so wasn't a truck, it was a small CUV similar to what GM is preparing to sell in China. It makes me wonder why GM won't even attempt to sell it in the US - my guess is it would cut into truck sales, thus cutting into GM North America's profits.
The Volt was a rare exception to GM's reluctance to share details on their plans. Like Scott, myVolt was my first GM car, the Bolt my second. Will there be a third? I'm hoping by the time I need to make that decision there will be more choices in the market from GM and others. The next three years should see a marked increase in BEV offerings from auto companies in general and that includes GM if their past announcements are any guide.

By the way, General Motors' first electric pickup truck model will go on sale in the fall of 2021, the company's top executive said today. https://www.businessinsider.com/general-motors-to-sell-electric-pickup-truck-in-2021-2019-11

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I think Chevy is doing great in this market considering they have a $7500 price disadvantage vs. almost all other brands. There is only one car model (Model 3) that is outselling the Bolt by more than a slim margin. The real questions are why are Nissan's sales lagging? Why is Honda barely making a showing with their PHEV in limited release? Why don't Honda or Toyota even have a BEV at all (in real production, not just vaporware)? Outside of Tesla, Chevy is still a top player. Once the tax disadvantage expires, I think they will then expand in this segment. Until then, it doesn't make business sense to expand. They have to pick their time. Meanwhile, most of the market is clamoring for big V6-V8 trucks/SUVs that drink cheap gas, so they are answering that demand.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts