GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you all know my business partner Larry Miller. He has been doing a wonderful job here keeping you all informed and happy. I know he really loves to help you in what will hopefully be a lifetime memory.

You Volt owners have been very quick to see what Chevy Connects brings to the buying experience. In fact, 25% of all Chevy Volts delivered have been tracked through Chevyconnects.com. For that we thank you and hope we've contributed positively to your buying experience.

We are currently discussing a closer relationship with General Motors so that we can offer even more features to you, as well as offer the same level of service to Cadillac, Buick and GMC customers. Our process is actually copyrighted which gives us the ability to offer this service to only one auto manufacturing company, thereby giving it a competitive advantage.

We would like to hear your side of the story. If we have helped you, please let us know here. This is your opportunity to tell GM why customers should be treated the way we have treated you. You can be assured that we at Chevyconnnects get it - every employee and supplier to our company is a recent GM customer and our solution has evolved from that experience.

Thanks for your time.

Hylton Jorssen
2CSolutions LLC

·
Registered
128 Posts
I just had this very conversation with my Volt Advisor yesterday when their information was behind and much less helpful that Chevyconnects. Clearly "MyVolt.com" had been massively less helpful for tracking our Volt orders, and according to my VA yesterday, "there were recently upgrades to the myvolt site ...."

I told her, "Why waste GM money fixing and not fixing well a site that is inferior to a 3rd party site that is operating so MUCH better already?" Of course, she had no answer, but I urged her to send that observation "upstairs."

YES, it is quite OK for ChevyConnects to become actually a GM site, but you must still retain YOUR independence in how to do the site and how efficienctly to update it with streaming info." As long as you don't get required to bury your own integrity in working more closely with GM, Hurrah to you all !!!!

What I would NOT want to see is you getting "forced" to distribute "information" as is being done the last month by NISSAN corporate FLACKS, which has been a combination of smoke, wish, and ....total mistruths...relative to the delivery progress of the LEAF vehicle.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Chevyconnects.com provides superior tracking service for the buyer compared with obtaining information from any other source. Calls to the Chevrolet dealer or GM's advisors were almost eliminated during the manufacturing and shipping process because of the status viewable at Chevyconnects.com. Asking questions and receiving answers gave insight into the process and helped us relax during the wait. Tracking the vehicle travelling across the country became an adventure and a learning experience about America's shipping systems. With FedEx, UPS, Amazon, and USPS tracking part of their customer service, buyers are desiring the same level of tracking service with vehicle purchases as well. Just as the parts of a car are produced by companies who supply quality and on time delivery, having a quality tracking experience is critical for customer satisfaction. ChevyConnects.com proved their experience and quality during my ordering and purchase of the Chevrolet Volt. As more manufacturing and shipping data is input into the tracking system, the ordering and buying process will become a richer and more satisfying experience. From order to delivery, ChevyConnects.com gave me the tracking information needed to keep me a happy customer of General Motors.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I've greatly enjoyed the process of tracking my Volt through the ChevyConnects system. It is vastly superior to any information provided by MyVolt, My Dealer, or My Volt Advisor (although the latter two have been exemplary as well).

But what I *really* like about ChevyConnects is its independence from GM. You guys do what you do, and tell it like it is, and describe how it's really worked in the past. GM? Not so good there. They've coveted something of a Polly Anna handling of their customers at times, preferring to withhold bad (or annoying) news rather than be forthcoming. In all fairness, it's in their best business interests to do that, so I don't begrudge them that.

And that makes me really enjoy the closely linked, but independent ChevyConnects. If GM wants to avail itself of your services to improve the customer delivery experience (and it will) then I'd be very happy if they put you under contract as a service vendor.

But wholly owned? I'm not sure I trust GM enough at this point to think they wouldn't find a way to screw that up.

OK, I take that back. I'm sure they'd figure out a way to screw it up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Chevyconnects provides a vastly superior tracking service compared to what is available elsewhere. In addition, the online forum presence is KEY! Larry (and others) have been instrumental in answering numerous questions to users and made a potentially very frustrating process much, MUCH less frustrating.

I think GM would be foolish to not look into using a service such as yours!

Stilgar

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I agree with all of the above. The ChevyConnects service was fantastically valuable to me during my order tracking process.

Give us the railcar numbers! That's almost as important as the order status code.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I agree with what others have posted, even though I'm still waiting at 1100 for my dealer to get his allocation.

I would point out that if you make this a more formal arrangement, then people would expect YOU to solve little problems like AFF saying Black Leather instead of Neutral Leather/Dark Accents. Right now you can just say, "that's what GM's database returns." But you knew that, right? ;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep them coming! This really helps us see things how you see it. I want to be clear though that it is General Motors, Chevrolet, the Volt team and the customer support team which help bring our service to you.

You all need to realize that General Motors wants to be the best at everything they do. There are going to be pitfalls and there are going to be learning curves but make no mistake, without GM's co-operation, Chevyconnects would not exist for you.

If we all work together to help perfect this new way of "connecting", we'll all be able to say "I helped General Motors achieve success".

Hylton

·
Registered
118 Posts
ChevyConnects is awesome! I used the site extensively (and obsessively at times) while awaiting delivery of my Volt in December. The information was accurate, the status-change emails greatly appreciated, and the level of detail (specific status numbers and explanations, shipping info, etc) greater than what was available from GM at the time. I appreciate that GM was making great efforts to keep me informed of my order status (many conversations with dealer and my Volt advisor), but the ChevyConnects site simply beat them to the punch most of the time and greatly enhanced my buying experience.

I don't object to a closer affiliation between the site and GM, especially if the flow of information is enhanced even further (and those who participate are better rewarded). But I hope any future changes preserve the personal touch - like the enthusiasm of the forum posts of several of the sites volunteers - that added a warmth to all of the timely information.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I must add my little bit of support also. The folks above pretty well have it nailed. Great to have a closer relationship with GM as long as it does not harm the quality of service. My order just now went to status 2000 and I VERY MUCH look forward to more interaction with chevroletconnects.com - of course there have been periods of time when I checked 4 times per day, even though I knew there was very little chance of any change.

Note: you guys have a seriously good attitude. I hope that GM does as well and that there can be real synergy.

I wonder if the Volt Advisors are also being considered.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey guys, Larry here. I did not know Hylton put this up until late last night when he gave me a call. All I can say is thanks to those that have already posted. This is an interesting question and feedback from you guys is actually very interesting and informative to us so that we know what features to expand on and if needed push for data. The obvious one would be railcar information. I totally understand the comments regarding interaction and explaination right here on a forum. This was exactly where we developed from in the first place so we all fully understand how a forum is really a community. A group of folks from across the country with common and shared interests. I myself have made so many friends via these forums that it has become a vital part of my social life...We feel that our service should be part of meeting not only the information tracking needs of customers, but also to assist the dealer network..all the way down to the salesman level. This would create a win win situation across the board. My question to you guys also goes into an area I have not really heard any comments. We have stratigically included some selected video clips and links that are shown on your status screen. Do you all ever take a look at those? And what other improvements would you all suggest to make it even better? I look forward to hearing all your replies. Larry

·
Registered
335 Posts
For me the videos were repeats of what I had seen elsewhere.....
Doesnt hurt to include them though....

Stilgar

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks. Our intention is to ensure that ALL volt customers get that information. You guys are the gurus of volt technology and so I have no doubt that you've read and seen every and all media related to the volt.

Our technology is used to support other Chevrolet products whose customers do not know what Youtube is and so we want to ensure that everyone has the opportunity to see the information which Chevrolet has put out there. We are actually a vehicle for Chevrolet information.

Chevrolet puts these great videos on Youtube for everyone to access. Problem is that they don't get viewed as much as we believe they should (they are VERY, VERY good). We use our copyrighted process to ensure that the Chevrolet customer receives the information.

Think of us as somone who rings the customers doorbell and delivers the news vs. putting the news on a newstand in the hopes that someone will stop and read it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Think about the ramifications of having the site under the control of the webmasters, lawyers, and PR folks of a major corporation and where it would be in terms of their priorities. Look at the situation today:

* GM has a website with a "track your order" button for vehicles in production.

* The independent chevyconnects website has a "track your order" button for GM vehicles in production.

Which is more reliable? Which is faster to load? Which has less cruft? Which gives more useful information? When something breaks, which gets fixed faster? Which has more direct interaction with the community? Answers to those questions might give some idea as to the direction you want this to go.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Marty, Hylton here.

Just as a background FYI - We worked quite closely with Chevrolet to help them develop their site. The resemblance you mention is quite understandable.

Your first point is coming in loud and clear from many of you but understand that Chevyconnects is owned by a corporation which has a duty to it's shareholders and investors (there are many) to not only earn revenue but earn a return for it's investors. The current model in which we provide the service for free is unsustainable.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Marty, Hylton here.

Just as a background FYI - We worked quite closely with Chevrolet to help them develop their site. The resemblance you mention is quite understandable.

Your first point is coming in loud and clear from many of you but understand that Chevyconnects is owned by a corporation which has a duty to it's shareholders and investors (there are many) to not only earn revenue but earn a return for it's investors. The current model in which we provide the service for free is unsustainable.
If there is a means by which chevyconnects can be assured of continued access to the data, consider remaining independent with revenue from advertisement on the page. You have a perfect venue for aftermarket items tailored to these vehicles as well as GM upsells. Car covers, license frames, trim accessories and the like.

My point is that the order tracking functionality of the GM website is a small and insignificant part of the corporate message on their website, and their website is a small part of their corporate advertising and communications budget. Thus the attention do detail and responsiveness to customer needs from GM will be significantly less than that of an independent site where tracking is the primary purpose.

Perhaps an arrangement where you can retain your independence with a link to and/or mention of GM could be worked out.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Marty, Hylton here.

I wasn't trying to show a resemblance, but to show the differences. The chevyconnects site works. The GM site doesn't, is slow, and is incomplete. When there's a problem with the data feed, you guys notice it, advise us, and get it fixed. The official GM site stays broken.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I wasn't trying to show a resemblance, but to show the differences. The chevyconnects site works. The GM site doesn't, is slow, and is incomplete. When there's a problem with the data feed, you guys notice it, advise us, and get it fixed. The official GM site stays broken.
Yes and with the help of folks like you we do get instant feedback when something is not working....Understanding and even suggestions on how to fix it. It is this close contact with the users that make all this possible.

I was thinking of the recent issue involving your car and those that closed prior to the end of the year yet had not been delivered. By getting the immediate feedback we were able to react to it quickly and re code it in a short period of time. Part of our model and service is to actually sustain the close contact with the users via social media and forums. Every car model has its own forum these days and that seems to be the direction the future customer is going. The information shared on these forums in many cases is far better than the product knowledge of the dealerships on the new models specifically. Mix into that involved GM employees such as WOT, and you have an excellent communication tool for everyone.

We started out as an official experiment within GM. Now our service has been proven in the field for the last 21 months and has shown its value. However, the information that makes our engines run so to speak is GM's and we are but the tool to deliver it. As consumers ourselves we have a perspective of the needs that has not really been embraced by everyone at GM. Ideally their preference is to do this internally and after they saw the effectiveness during the Camaro rollout they quickly built their tracking service.

But one of the significant benefits of the attention was the advent of the Volt Advisors. This was a stroke of genius in my opinion. Direct communication to the consumer regarding their ordered car from the manufacturer is a game changer for GM giving them a tremendous step ahead of the competition. We feel that the Volt Advisors (CSR's) working in combination with our tool and service will allow them to support and meet the needs of the larger number of customers moving forward. I don't know about you but when I see a post from a Volt Advisor here on the forum, I get excited thinking that it might be the start of something big. But then nothing has really happened or continued. With our direct email updates they will be able to communicate specific and timely information directly to each customer at a much lower cost than the current model. Everyone on our team is probably the biggest GM supporters out there.

We literally do what we do to benefit them and being consumer advocates actually communicate both the good and bad information to management as we see it. Believe me we are blasted with requests for paid advertising on our site. However, we do not accept the offers because we do not want to jeopardize our relationship with GM or our use of their data. In fact, we are seeking more data, GMC, Cadillac and Buick logistics data is still not available and we have many customers from those divisions that are left in the cold after they are built.

Thanks Marty for the comments and the help along the way. Larry

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
My question to you guys also goes into an area I have not really heard any comments. We have stratigically included some selected video clips and links that are shown on your status screen. Do you all ever take a look at those?
Just on that one point, I personally never looked at them. However that's because I've already seen everything :)

An "average" customer might appreciate them. If you keep them, you should rotate them more often. It seemed like I would see the same video every time (and for a week or two there I was checking hourly!) and the video shown would only change when my status had changed. Which of course rarley happened, until I finally shipped and then it was changing every day. You should just randomly select from the pool of videos that you have.

And note that in the FAQ I link to a whole bunch of Volt training videos! :) This post in particular, however I bet you can't embed those. Maybe you can find them on YouTube.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts