GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a replacement airdam out of coroplast using my OE one as a guide, my old rubber one was starting to split. Could someone please measure the shorter factory airdam? I could guess how short to recut mine but i'd like to have a target before doing so

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Will Coroplast flex enough to survive a scrape? If not you should either cut it very short, or replace the old air dam with a new, short OEM piece. They're not expensive. Or, just leave it off altogether.

Another thing to check is whether the existing one is actually splitting, or if the segments are just separated. I have to piece mine back together once a year or so. Five years of scraping twice a day and it is still in pretty good shape.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I built a replacement airdam out of coroplast using my OE one as a guide, my old rubber one was starting to split. Could someone please measure the shorter factory airdam? I could guess how short to recut mine but i'd like to have a target before doing so
The shorter factory replacement air dam kit is fairly reasonable in cost.

I replaced mine last fall. It fit perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts
I am dubious that corrugated plastic will be flexible enough. Coroplast sheets are more often used for signs and to make boxes that compete with corrugated paper boxes and trays. The Volt air dam material would not work well for those applications.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMG_20170624_111730.jpg
Ugh... Firefox reloaded and blew out my entire response... Ill type out a new one when I get home. I uploaded a pic of airdam, it so far has stood up fairly well after about 500 miles of highway and dirtroad abuse

·
Registered
578 Posts
I can't tell what I'm looking at. Whats with the Yellow stripe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I think I would just take that off completely. That yellow stripe does not look right.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
meh... function over form... could care less about the color(s), though now I'll have to paint it LOL
It stood up really well to my 1100 mile trip (heat, dirt roads, some rain), took a bit of a beating on the ends from steep parking lot entrances/exits. And took a crushing blow when I hit a dirt-road washout at about 30-35mph, didn't see it until I was about 10-15 feet from it, left a noticeable crush mark near the center on the driver's side.
IMG-20170701-190132566.jpg
the paint held up just fine until the drive back, some kind of combination of heat and road wear then a large rain storm, took most of the ink off of the poster

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
Administrator
19,987 Posts
meh... function over form... could care less about the color(s), though now I'll have to paint it LOL
It stood up really well to my 1100 mile trip (heat, dirt roads, some rain), took a bit of a beating on the ends from steep parking lot entrances/exits. And took a crushing blow when I hit a dirt-road washout at about 30-35mph, didn't see it until I was about 10-15 feet from it, left a noticeable crush mark near the center on the driver's side.
the paint held up just fine until the drive back, some kind of combination of heat and road wear then a large rain storm, took most of the ink off of the poster
"It's ugly but kind of works" is about the best that can be said about it. But if you are happy with it, that's all that matters.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts