GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I ran out of my go-to car wash (Meguiar's Gold Class Wash) and since I still had a "car cleaning kit" I'd won last year I decided I'd give the Turtle Wax ICE Car Wash a try.

You don't need much in a bucket of water to get a good soapy mix. The lubricity seemed to be very good and I kind of liked the smell.

Okay that's nice, but how does it work?

Um... holy smokes. I've never seen anything take bug guts off the front of my car like this! It also does a really amazing job of cleaning rims, not that a Volt has much in the way of brake dust and such.

However, once I had everything washed and rinsed it really did seem like my car was pretty "dry" so I don't think I would recommend using this stuff unless you were also planning on waxing right afterwards.

In short: If you have a really dirty vehicle and a lot of bug guts to deal with this is a good product. However I think it is also equally good at removing wax so plan on doing a re-wax once you finish.

For regular use, I think I'll stick to the Meguiar's Gold Class, but if I really need to deep clean I may whip this stuff out again. It'll probably see a lot of "jeep use".

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Several weeks Back I did a deep dive in a forum on people's favorite waxes and polishes. I ended up buying Meguire's Ultimate polish, wax, and detailer then proceeded to not use any of it yet. As the temps fall, I'll get busy. I also use Meguires car was for my soap, but maybe I'll splurge for something better when I run out.

·
Administrator
19,984 Posts
I have been using Turtle Wax ICE car wash soap and the spritz-on, wipe-off wax for both the paint and the front and rear window glass. After 6+ years, I'm still using the two.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Been a ZAINO guy since 1995. Have won too many car shows in my vetoes to use anything else. One application lasts 6 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Several weeks Back I did a deep dive in a forum on people's favorite waxes and polishes. I ended up buying Meguire's Ultimate polish, wax, and detailer then proceeded to not use any of it yet. As the temps fall, I'll get busy. I also use Meguires car was for my soap, but maybe I'll splurge for something better when I run out.
No offense intended, but you were not polling a very knowledgeable forum. Love meguiar's detailer line of products, but Meg UP is a pretty basic wax. Lots of products that will be similar in price, offer more durability, easier to apply/remove, and look just as good. Only caveat with the better products are the limited availability over the counter, and the need to order online. Meguiars UP is available at a lot of local places, that's the only thing it has going for it.

Been a ZAINO guy since 1995. Have won too many car shows in my vetoes to use anything else. One application lasts 6 months.
I used to be Zaino guy as well, but after trying Optimum's version of Zaino-clear-seal, Optimum Opti Seal (wipe on dry and clean panel, no need to buff off; aka, wipe-on-walk-away sealant), I've become complacent and super lazy. Maybe 5 layers of Z2/Z5 will be imperceptibly nicer, but not for my aging eyes.

I've also learned of a new line of waxes where you spray on, and rinse off. AKA, you clean your car as normal, rinse, spray this hydrophobic sealant on, and then rinse off, dry normally. Opti Seal is 6+ months, and plan to use the spray and rinse off products to prolong it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts