GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am moving to Germany soon and wanted to investigate if I can keep my Volt and drive it in Germany.
Since the Opel Ampera is the same car are there any problems getting license and registration for the Volt?

Thanks
Markus

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Have you asked the German consulate what the rules are about importing a car? The US and EU have different safety regulations so an Ampera and the Volt probably aren't exactly the same, the headlights might be different for example.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Gas is famously expensive in Europe, but you might want to consider the cost of electricity there as well. I think it is approximately 30 Euro cents /kWh, so not cheap. Not sure how that shakes out, but it might make charging more expensive than not. Also, I think the electrical connections for charging cars there are different, so at least a plug adapter may be needed. Good Luck.

https://www.evseadapters.com/collections/international-ev-adapters/products/european-us-type-2-iec-mennekes-to-type-1-j1772-ev-adapter

·
Registered
568 Posts
I spent 3 years there when I was in the Air Force and we could ship most any car there and drive with few problems. There may be issues with repairs - Sometimes it takes your mechanic weeks to get necessary repair parts imported from wherever the car was made, but in the end, you can get it fixed

The biggest issue by far though are the German TUV inspections. They are the most thorough in the world and if your car is more than 3 or 4 years old, you will most likely be spending big bucks to keep the car in top notch condition so it will successfully pass their rigorous inspections. If you are moving there to live full time, it may be better for you to buy a newer car and something built over there. You'll have far fewer problems in the long run

Don

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
As suggested I would check with the authorities there. Shouldn't have any problems with inspections. Any problems with lighting can likely be addressed with programming (like what has to be done when importing a US Volt to Canada). The problem is servicing with GM disposing of Opel, scarce service spots will become smaller yet. That is the biggest concern assuming it is cheaper to ship your Volt to than sell it here and buy a use Ampera there. If you are talking a Gen II Volt, well it's a different car and there would be virtually no parts availability (other than shipping from US) with basically no one knowing anything about them as it wasn't sold in Europe (the Ampera is a Gen 1 Volt). Mind you , you would have the only Gen 2 Volt around (in all probability). Small plus, lots of minuses.

·
Registered
637 Posts
People do this all the time. They ship and drive US-built ICE cars in the EU all the time. You can search for an exporter who can give you details, but you'll have to pay import taxes and duties on the shipment...

Since the Opel Ampera is the same car
so I expect that just buying an Ampera may be an equivalent or lesser cost option.

·
Registered
124 Posts
A known difference between the Opel Ampera and the Volt is the towing hook that is provided with the Opel to meet some european regulations I guess. The Gen1 Chevy Volt don't have this metallic hook in the trunk for towing purposes so this is the only requirement I can think of about importing an American version of the volt to Europe that could present a problem with the German TUV inspections.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
A known difference between the Opel Ampera and the Volt is the towing hook that is provided with the Opel to meet some european regulations I guess. The Gen1 Chevy Volt don't have this metallic hook in the trunk for towing purposes so this is the only requirement I can think of about importing an American version of the volt to Europe that could present a problem with the German TUV inspections.
I think the US version also lacks the threaded hole in the front bumper where the tow hook would be mounted during use.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I think the US version also lacks the threaded hole in the front bumper where the tow hook would be mounted during use.
You're right!
I never looked to confirm that but I heard that this threaded hole is not there on US/Canada versions too.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
^^^This^^^

1 - 10 of 10 Posts