GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2017 Premier developed a problem this weekend where the shifter is getting stuck in Park. Starting and re-starting the car multiple times didn't help. I thought there might be some computer code that would tell it its OK to shift. I then started playing with the brake pedal. It seems if I push the pedal to its complete end at the floor the shifter will unlock and allow me to drive. I assume there's an interlock switch that's the problem, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Have not had the brake interlock issue, but the charge port also is interlocked to the shifter. You can't shift out of park if it thinks you're still plugged in.

·
Registered
968 Posts
My 2017 Premier developed a problem this weekend where the shifter is getting stuck in Park. Starting and re-starting the car multiple times didn't help. I thought there might be some computer code that would tell it its OK to shift. I then started playing with the brake pedal. It seems if I push the pedal to its complete end at the floor the shifter will unlock and allow me to drive. I assume there's an interlock switch that's the problem, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.
Someone else had a similar issue. Read this thread for more info.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?239578-Can-t-shift-2016-Volt-out-of-park

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my car in today and the dealer was able to reproduce my shifter problem. Turns out the shift mechanism is bad and needs to be replaced. Nothing as elaborate as I'd imagined but glad they're fixing it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I got my car in today and the dealer was able to reproduce my shifter problem. Turns out the shift mechanism is bad and needs to be replaced. Nothing as elaborate as I'd imagined but glad they're fixing it.
Glad to hear they identified the problem. Hopefully its back in your hands soon and the fix sticks. I'm also glad that no aluminum foil or refrigerator was abused in your fix like in the other thread :p

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I picked up my car today the paperwork stated there was a TSB #16-NA-060 related to this problem. They replaced the transmission shift control assembly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This has happened to me 5 times when away from home, and 4 times I have had to get my 2016 Volt back to the dealer for a fix. I believe that my particular vehicle is a lemon, really. I live in Sonoma County California and survived the October 2017 firestorms, but if I'd had to evacuate my home and rely on this vehicle last month, I might have been in a real pickle. Has anyone else had repeated experiences with their Volt stuck in the Park mode? Note that if that happens to you, you may have to call for a flatbed tow truck since there is no way to shift into Neutral mode. Am very sorry that I've had to deal with this problem, because otherwise I enjoy driving the vehicle — when it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts