GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't used L very much but as I started using it more, I noticed when shifting into L, the button on the shifter knob stays pressed almost 2/3 down. The shifter appears locked in L gear as I can't push the shifter up to D unless I push the button down the remaining 1/3.

Is this normal or should I be concerned? The drive mode appears to be set correct (in D, coasts like normla, in L, aggressive regen for single-pedal driving).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Normal - button stays depressed when shifter is in L gate. You should be able to nudge the shifter back to D without further pressing the button. When in D, the button should release.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried nudging it back to D, but it's rather solid. Only when I push the button the remaining 1/3 does it shift easily into D. I'll try again with more gumption, but would hate to use elbow grease to shift from L to D. Thanks for the confirmation, though!

·
Registered
478 Posts
I tried nudging it back to D, but it's rather solid. Only when I push the button the remaining 1/3 does it shift easily into D. I'll try again with more gumption, but would hate to use elbow grease to shift from L to D. Thanks for the confirmation, though!
Yeah, there's a "notch" holding it Low. Over the internet, we can't tell how hard you're 'nudging'. With mine, I don't remember any difference between the force needed to go from L to D whether the button is pressed or not. I can't say there definitively isn't, I just don't remember any difference.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Nudge it hard enough and it should pop into N. The vast majority of automatic shifters will move all the way to N without depressing the button, for use during loss of traction.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The shifter button on my 2017 also stays depressed in L, but it moves quite easily back to D with just a 'normal' amount of nudge.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only shifting I've done was on an old manual Honda Civic I think and it was very loose in shifting. I have since calibrated to the Volt's shifter and easily shift to/from L by just nudging the shifter. I still, however, press the button when shifting from D to everything else aside from L since the same nudge force does not work and I don't want to wear anything out. The tactile feedback from the "stops" is handy for mentally keeping track where the shifter is.

Thanks for the recalibration, everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts