GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As part of a long term shift to alternative energy markets, Shell says it will increase the number of electric vehicle charging points to 500,000 from 60,000 now. That may be by 2050, so don't get too excited just yet.

This was part of a Shell announcement it hit peak oil in 2019.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Interesting, I wonder where the chargers will be installed. Will there be any installed in the US and Canada? I guess we have lots of time to figure it out...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Interesting, I wonder where the chargers will be installed. Will there be any installed in the US and Canada? I guess we have lots of time to figure it out...
How about Shell gas stations? Restrooms, convenience store, already have a high volume cash flow. The Shell station in my hometown is right on the exit of a major E-W highway in Michigan and there's no competition within 30 miles. Kind of low hanging fruit there.

Reactions: obermd

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
How about Shell gas stations? Restrooms, convenience store, already have a high volume cash flow. The Shell station in my hometown is right on the exit of a major E-W highway in Michigan and there's no competition within 30 miles. Kind of low hanging fruit there.
There are Shell gas stations all over the world and of course they will install them there as they own the properties. There are far more EVs in China and Europe so the logical place to install the majority of them would be there. Hopefully though we get a token few.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I would expect them to use their existing gas station footprint of 14,000 US locations. Those locations with a sit and eat food mart would be best suited for longer recharge visits.

Regarding how they count, are three charge stations at a gas station counted as 3 in their 500,000 number? My guess is yes. So 3 x 14000 = 42,000. Charge stations vs. charge locations.

·
Registered
2017 Volt Premier 80k+ Miles
591 Posts
There's already some DC charge stations in gas stations here. It's a natural fit, especially when done well. With a nice outdoor seating area and food options like they have at newer Wawa's, the locations are already conveniently located just off the highway, it makes perfect sense. Grab and enjoy a coffee, use the restroom, and then back on the road.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Petro Canada has already installed charge stations at strategic gas stations across Canada on Trans Canada Highway in past two years. Other than Highway #3 this is the main connector across Canada as the large majority of the population live with in 100 miles of it. The gas companies are also investing huge sums in renewable energy so they continue to be an energy company and not just a gas company.

·
Registered
411 Posts
It will be interesting to see how this will work out as charging takes considerably longer than filling up with gas.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The increase in charge stations by Shell will happen over the next 4 years. That's almost a blink of the eye in EV-land. FreeWire deploys its infrastructure with BP currently, but the company’s charging technology can be rolled out to fast food companies, post offices, grocery stores or anywhere people go and spend somewhere between 20 minutes and an hour.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
The increase in charge stations by Shell will happen over the next 4 years. That's almost a blink of the eye in EV-land. FreeWire deploys its infrastructure with BP currently, but the company’s charging technology can be rolled out to fast food companies, post offices, grocery stores or anywhere people go and spend somewhere between 20 minutes and an hour.
Fast food joints or post office I might spend 10 minutes unless there is a line. Grocery stores? I plugged in at Whole Foods and took my time, and was there about 45 minutes--only enough to add 4 miles or so. Where I would like to see charging stations? How about movie theaters, where I used to be for 2 or 3 hours (pre-pandemic), or the mall, or any of the restaurants near the interstate.

For example, the exits on I-10 near me have many chain restaurants, like Olive Garden, Red Lobster, Longhorn Steakhouse, Outback, etc. If an EV driver is passing through town in need of a charge and a meal, and sees charging is available at one of these places listed on ChargePoint, or PlugShare, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out where he's going to stop. This should be a no-brainer for these restaurants. They should even put it on their signs!!

Reactions: scottf200

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Of course, you could also just sit in the car and read or watch a movie or listen to music for an hour or two. My 2011 Volt has a neglected DVD player, and I have a kindle. But restaurant areas make an attractive location, yes. I don't typically go to a movie while traveling or on vacation.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Of course, you could also just sit in the car and read or watch a movie or listen to music for an hour or two. My 2011 Volt has a neglected DVD player, and I have a kindle. But restaurant areas make an attractive location, yes. I don't typically go to a movie while traveling or on vacation.
IMO this is not going to be acceptable to the general population. It is one of the reasons I purchased a Volt instead of a Bolt. I have a use case which, in the winter time, would be straining the distance of a Bolt. This drive is two hours one way and the same on the return. I didn't want to add an additional 30 minutes sitting at a charging station to ensure I didn't run out of juice.

There's a Tesla Super Charging station near my friends house. Every time I visit her I see a number of people sitting in their cars charging. Sometimes we go grab a bite to eat and upon our return we see them same vehicles still charging.

One can only eat and shop so much before doing so while a vehicle charges would get old.

IMO charging times need to significantly decrease if EV technology is going to replace gas. Given the long charging times I am interested to see how Shell will deploy charging stations to handle large quantities of EVs. At 30 - 60 minutes to charge an EV you're going to need many spots to handle any significant volume. Ironically the low volume of EVs minimizes congestion at these locations. But if volume increases congestion will too if charging times don't significantly decrease.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Ah, but, what will happen to Shell and the others when the diamond battery hits the market and all cars are powered by them? Or, will the diamond battery go the way of the 100 mpg carburetor?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Ah, but, what will happen to Shell and the others when the diamond battery hits the market and all cars are powered by them? Or, will the diamond battery go the way of the 100 mpg carburetor?

The problem is that an EV will have to pull a Tesla Semi trailer full of them to power the car. Let's see where's that section in the owner's manual about hauling again?

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
The problem is that an EV will have to pull a Tesla Semi trailer full of them to power the car. Let's see where's that section in the owner's manual about hauling again?
It's all about the torque baby! <grins>

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If the EVSEs (chargers) that Shell installs are 50kW unit as in the picture above for the launch they'd might as well not bother...

Reactions: volty25

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
If the EVSEs (chargers) that Shell installs are 50kW unit as in the picture above for the launch they'd might as well not bother...
Not sure of Shell's plan but Petro Canada has chargers that are between 50 Kw and 350 Kw chargers. It has to be cheaper to install a 50 kw charger so for a given amount you will be able to install more. I suspect Shell will follow a similar business plan.

·
Administrator
20,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In a choice between waiting for perfection (max Kw charging) and good enough, I'd choose good enough. I suspect that over time the market will sort things out. Those with higher Kw charging units will promote them — and charge much more for their use. Perhaps some will be happy with paying $3 for a slower charge while others will $24 for a faster charge?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Petro Canada's were free while they were doing the build up but now they charge .24 cents a minute regardless of the type according to their website, which doesn't make sense. I'm certain it will all sort itself out eventually.

·
Registered
411 Posts
In a choice between waiting for perfection (max Kw charging) and good enough, I'd choose good enough. I suspect that over time the market will sort things out. Those with higher Kw charging units will promote them — and charge much more for their use. Perhaps some will be happy with paying $3 for a slower charge while others will $24 for a faster charge?
The question is: What's good enough? IMO the answer depends on driving habits. For me I can get by most of the time with an overnight charge as the bulk of my driving is well within the Volts limits (even when cold). However I do have alternative vehicles for those times when I need to drive longer distances (which would exceed the range of current EVs). If I had a pure EV a 60 minute stop would be unacceptable to me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts