GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did an oopsie and backed out of my garage with the door not fully open. Ripped the shark fin antenna casing off of the car. The chips are exposed and one of them is broken where it screws down....I'm at a loss of what to do.

I'm pretty handy so I think I could possibly repair it, but I can't find any images online of what the inside of the shark fin casing is supposed to look like. Has anyone taken this part off before? Any advice??

·
Administrator
22,269 Posts
Get a new fin?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Look at post #9 in this thread: Someone stole the “fin” from the roof of my Chevy Volt 2017

The antenna simply unplugs and installs with a single nut. The two challenges you will have are:
  • You may have to remove the ceiling lighting fixtures and/or drop the headliner in order to get to the nut. (Dropping the headliner is not easy and it something that needs to be worked around carefully as to not damage it before it goes back up against the roof.
  • Paint. You may have to take the new antenna to a paint shop to get it color-matched to your car. Some paint shops may require you to leave your entire car with them so they can do the match right. (And guarantee the color will match.) Painting may also cost you more than the entire antenna.

If you can find a used antenna from a junk yard that matches your car, that may save you a ton of money, particularly on paint.

·
Administrator
22,269 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look at post #9 in this thread: Someone stole the “fin” from the roof of my Chevy Volt 2017

The antenna simply unplugs and installs with a single nut. The two challenges you will have are:
  • You may have to remove the ceiling lighting fixtures and/or drop the headliner in order to get to the nut. (Dropping the headliner is not easy and it something that needs to be worked around carefully as to not damage it before it goes back up against the roof.
  • Paint. You may have to take the new antenna to a paint shop to get it color-matched to your car. Some paint shops may require you to leave your entire car with them so they can do the match right. (And guarantee the color will match.) Painting may also cost you more than the entire antenna.

If you can find a used antenna from a junk yard that matches your car, that may save you a ton of money, particularly on paint.
Thank you, that photo is very useful. I did find a used fin online from a red Volt so thinking about getting that. I'm wondering if I can just replace the broken bits instead of having to go in through the roof and replace the whole thing. The GPS still works but my radio does not. Although, now the base of the antenna is also no longer flush to the roof of the car. How can I find out about opening up the ceiling to get to the nut?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a follow up, since I couldn't find any photos online of the antenna internal chips I took some photos in case it helps anyone in the future. If anyone knows how I can get a replacement for the any of the chips I would appreciate it.
Water Naval architecture Gas Vehicle Space
Netbook Office equipment Gadget Electronic instrument Font
Motor vehicle Wood Gas Cylinder Machine
Circuit component Passive circuit component Electronic instrument Hardware programmer Audio equipment

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm wondering if I can just replace the broken bits instead of having to go in through the roof and replace the whole thing. The GPS still works but my radio does not. Although, now the base of the antenna is also no longer flush to the roof of the car. How can I find out about opening up the ceiling to get to the nut?
The front board is your GPS and Sirus XM. The back board is your AM/FM antenna. It looks like the AM/FM antenna was physically damaged along with the antenna casing. In theory, you could scavenge the rear board from another antenna and then use a soldering iron and special screw drivers to install it - but your antenna casing will still not be straight or sealed properly. Those electronics are custom-made by the antenna manufacturer and are not for sale separately.

I looked at my Volt today and think you can get at the antenna connections by dropping the rear part of the headliner. To do that, it looks like you will need to remove the rear light fixture, some push retainers, and some of the rear hatch trim. Some screwdrivers and trim removal tools (https://www.amazon.com/Panel-Remova...cphy=9021716&hvtargid=pla-1416001861605&psc=1) should be all that you need.

The GM Service Manual for the car, which has all the instructions for this runs several hundred dollars, but you can get a 3-day subscription for $20. Just go here: Techline Connect Diagnostic System Software | ACDelco and subscribe to the "General Motors Service Repair Manual Information" item. You can also print out any instructions you want for later use, but you can not save the files off to your computer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts