GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks back someone posted something about building their own Y splitter. Here is a better solution

·
Registered
571 Posts
A Y-splitter would violate electric code, so that's why they typically aren't on the shelf to buy. ^ These devices get around those problems by actively managing the connections and preventing an overload.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
It's probably cheaper for most people to hire an electrician to install a 240V receptacle with a dedicated circuit for car charging. That's what I did.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My electrician charged me like $200 to install my 220V charger. Granted, the electrical panel had an extra 220 circuit (old hot tub that was removed years ago) and the level 2 charger was mounted to the wall about 3 feet from the panel. Took him about 30 minutes start to finish and it looks good. Your mileage (or cost) may vary....

·
Registered
13,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My electrician charged me $650 and left a charred mess around the plug when he allowed a long screw get too close to a wire so he created a big arc when he flipped the breaker. Master Electrician my ass, that just means he hasn’t killed himself yet.

I would have done it myself, but the state had a 50% rebate program which required an electrician who was certified and insured to work on this. so I guess with the rebate, it was about half this price.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts