GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new Volt - picked it up last week. Here are my initial suggestions. They are small items, but suggestions none the less. I didn't read the 100's of other threads so some may be repeats.

1) When in cruise control at lower speeds (i.e., 30), and going down steeper hills, it would be nice if regen breaking would kick in to keep the vehicle speed at no more than 3 MPH over the cruise setting. My 2012 VW TDI would downshift when in cruise to prevent over speeding. This would work fantastic on part of my daily commute. Right now I have to hit the breaks and then re-engage the cruise control.
2) Switch the windshield wipers to intermittent when you come to a complete stop. Then resume the wipers at the selected setting when the vehicle starts again. This was a fantastic feature on the 2012 Jetta TDI that I traded in for the Volt.
3) For those of us with longer lower legs, our knee hits the edges on the center console just at the wrong spot and it starts to hurt on longer trips. Rounding the edges of the console would help.
4) The default charging at 110 of 8 Amps and having to change it to 12 Amps EVERY time is a total hassle. My wife never gets it. At least allow a user to switch to the higher mode of charging via the phone application.
5) An additional 1/2 inch of head room in the rear seat along with 1 inch more of leg room would do wonders for longer trips with taller folks.

Thanks for listening....

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Try using L with the CC and see it that helps. L is not a real gear rather it uses regen MUCH more than D and is great for downhills/not using the conventional friction brakes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
My Volt is in L at all times on the road. Once you get a feel for the throttle pedal action, it's great.

Unless the traffic light is red, no need to touch the brakes rounding the intersection.

·
Registered
49 Posts
circling,

I agree with the other comments about driving in L. I think you will find that L & cruise control will give you the desired results.

My 1 month anniversary of Volt ownership today. I love it.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
3) For those of us with longer lower legs, our knee hits the edges on the center console just at the wrong spot and it starts to hurt on longer trips. Rounding the edges of the console would help.
Have you tried adjusting the seat height and/or the steering wheel telescope? I'm likely not a tall as you, but if I get the seat too far forward, my knee can contact the center console. Try moving your seat down and back, and the steering wheel out. That might help.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
A 240 volt charger Would eliminate the 8 amp/12 amp problem, and speeds up your charge to 4 hours instead of 10 or 14.

Also, the intermittent wiper setting on the Volt adjusts for speed somewhat, so try that at it's highest speed, might be ok.

1,214 Posts
Ice And Snow Driving In "L"-

Greetings All,

Bout to hit the 10,000 miles driven mark since March 12 ,2012. Drive In city, 90% "L" one peddle with 10% Manual Deceleration Regeneration Override by toggling between "D" and "L" depending on the read of the road- Outstanding Range increasment.

Still have 3 gallons left in the gas tank since delivery- Have never added a drop! ( Volt Stats # 43 )

With Michigan weather however, correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see how the AntiLock Breaking system would engage when "L" Breaking. Soooo, I must be ready to step away from my favorite way of driving my Amazing Chevy Volt when heavy ice build up is present.

I will remember to drive the Volt Like a normal car ( Boo Hoo ), using the break pedal, so that the hand off from Regen Deceleration to friction breaking occurs and the antiloc system can engage when wheel slippage is detected.

Will experiment after the first ice/ snow storm to confirm if I am right. Any one else go through that last winter?

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet

·
8,680 Posts
With Michigan weather however, correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see how the AntiLock Breaking system would engage when "L" Breaking. Soooo, I must be ready to step away from my favorite way of driving my Amazing Chevy Volt when heavy ice build up is present.

I will remember to drive the Volt Like a normal car ( Boo Hoo ), using the break pedal, so that the hand off from Regen Deceleration to friction breaking occurs and the antiloc system can engage when wheel slippage is detected.

Will experiment after the first ice/ snow storm to confirm if I am right. Any one else go through that last winter?
It depends on how slippery it is out, and what kind of tires you have. You are correct, regen cannot use ABS and doesn't have the millisecond speed wheel by wheel control that ABS does.

When the Volt detects wheel slip under regen, it posts a DIC message "low traction" and drops the regen until the wheel slip stops (some folks feel like the car is surging forward, but it's merely a loss of deceleration.)

If that happens and you need to slow down more, you'll have to use the brake pedal, which will result in the friction pads and ABS kicking in.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I love my new Volt - picked it up last week. Here are my initial suggestions. They are small items, but suggestions none the less. I didn't read the 100's of other threads so some may be repeats.

1) When in cruise control at lower speeds (i.e., 30), and going down steeper hills, it would be nice if regen breaking would kick in to keep the vehicle speed at no more than 3 MPH over the cruise setting. My 2012 VW TDI would downshift when in cruise to prevent over speeding. This would work fantastic on part of my daily commute. Right now I have to hit the breaks and then re-engage the cruise control.
2) Switch the windshield wipers to intermittent when you come to a complete stop. Then resume the wipers at the selected setting when the vehicle starts again. This was a fantastic feature on the 2012 Jetta TDI that I traded in for the Volt.
4) The default charging at 110 of 8 Amps and having to change it to 12 Amps EVERY time is a total hassle. My wife never gets it. At least allow a user to switch to the higher mode of charging via the phone application.
5) An additional 1/2 inch of head room in the rear seat along with 1 inch more of leg room would do wonders for longer trips with taller folks.

Thanks for listening....
I came from a 2012 GTI and I 2nd all of this, except with the cruise control, I think L would work better in that scenario.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try using L with the CC and see it that helps. L is not a real gear rather it uses regen MUCH more than D and is great for downhills/not using the conventional friction brakes.
Thanks fotomoto (and others) L with CC was exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I also moved from a Jetta TDI to the Volt, and find I am missing the way it slows the wipers when I come to a stop. I also miss the way the Jetta would lower the radio volume when the car was stopped.

Another thing I miss is the standard two-prong household power plug in the center console.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I also moved from a Jetta TDI to the Volt, and find I am missing the way it slows the wipers when I come to a stop. I also miss the way the Jetta would lower the radio volume when the car was stopped.

Another thing I miss is the standard two-prong household power plug in the center console.
itsgene and circling, I'll make #3 JEDI (Jetta TDI) trade to Volt. Mine was a 2009 - prior to that was a 100% electric MINI E, cut my lease short at 2+ months and 2,000 miles (long story, too long for this thread).

My only comment about the intermittent wiper is I hardly ever use my wipers due to Rain-X that I apply religiously on all my vehicles since 1987. My 2009 JEDI, after 47,138 miles in 1,031 days (2 years and 10 months) needed blades replaced only once at day 978. If you guys aren't using Rain-X, you are missing out. If you are, then I'm lucky I live in an area that sees much fewer rainy days.

Happy motoring :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
My only comment about the intermittent wiper is I hardly ever use my wipers due to Rain-X that I apply religiously on all my vehicles since 1987. My 2009 JEDI, after 47,138 miles in 1,031 days (2 years and 10 months) needed blades replaced only once at day 978. If you guys aren't using Rain-X, you are missing out. If you are, then I'm lucky I live in an area that sees much fewer rainy days.
Thanks for the tip - up here in Silicon Valley we also have few rainy days, but this week, we've certainly made up for it. :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
That one there is why I ordered an L2 charger. At least I won't have to worry about the setting at home every night and weekends, but I'll still have to deal with it at work where it doesn't make sence at all. I have 10 different places with seperate 110 outlets all on their own breakers that have nothing else plugged in, and GM doesn't trust that I'm sure I can use 12amp. Wishing I had searched harder for a portable L2..
Worst part is that sometimes the car itself doesn't want to let me select 12amp. Tap the button over and over and it stays on 8 until I leave the menu and come back to it and try again..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts