GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a new 2018 Volt, a level two charging station and a peak/off peak electric meter. Off peak starts at 11:30 PM and ends at 7:00 AM.
It takes about 4 hours to fully charge our Volt using the level two station. I want it to start at 11:30 PM.
I tried to work my way through the various screens to set this up but it didn't seem to work. No, it didn't work, it started charging immediately.
If you go to the charging screen you can make a choice of three charging modes, immediate, departure time or departure time & electric rate. If you chose the third option charging based on electricity rate there are another several screens. It's all very confusing.
Is there some kind of youtube video that shows the screens and clearly shows how to set up the delayed charging mode?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found it easiest to set departure time 1 hour before leaving for work. My level 2 takes approx. 4.5 hrs and will start at 1:30 if departure time set for 6 am. Weekends are off peak so I set departure time same for all days. If running errands and need it to charge sooner I set to temporary charge as soon as plugged in from dash display or use the Mychevy app and charge now.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
We have a new 2018 Volt, a level two charging station and a peak/off peak electric meter. Off peak starts at 11:30 PM and ends at 7:00 AM.
It takes about 4 hours to fully charge our Volt using the level two station. I want it to start at 11:30 PM.
I tried to work my way through the various screens to set this up but it didn't seem to work. No, it didn't work, it started charging immediately.
If you go to the charging screen you can make a choice of three charging modes, immediate, departure time or departure time & electric rate. If you chose the third option charging based on electricity rate there are another several screens. It's all very confusing.
Is there some kind of youtube video that shows the screens and clearly shows how to set up the delayed charging mode?
You don't start your first line entry as 11:30 PM, it would be impossible to set that in a lousy interface, rather you are forced to start with 12:00 MN. So you'll have to split the 11:30 PM

this is how you would program the Volt interface using off peak rates
12:00 MN- 7:00 AM off-peak
7:00 AM - 2:00 PM mid-peak or partial peak
2:00 PM - 9:00 PM peak
9:00 PM - 11:30 PM mid-peak
11:30 PM - 12:00 MN off-peak

This should start your off peak charging at 11:30 PM.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
You don't start your first line entry as 11:30 PM, it would be impossible to set that in a lousy interface, rather you are forced to start with 12:00 MN. So you'll have to split the 11:30 PM

this is how you would program the Volt interface using off peak rates
12:00 MN- 7:00 AM off-peak
7:00 AM - 2:00 PM mid-peak or partial peak
2:00 PM - 9:00 PM peak
9:00 PM - 11:30 PM mid-peak
11:30 PM - 12:00 MN off-peak

This should start your off peak charging at 11:30 PM.
Likewise do the same for the weekend off-peak rates. For example, the utility rates for the weekend says Peak 3:00 PM to 7:00 PM, the entry would be:

12:00 MN - 3:00 PM off-peak
3:00 PM - 7:00 PM peak
7:00 PM - 12:00 MN off-peak.

you always start with 12:00 midnight in your entries

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Sorry, I can’t recommend any video showing how to program your delayed charging, but I suggest you might want to consider the simplicity of the Charge Mode option: "Delayed based on departure time," rather than "delayed based on electric rate/departure time."

If you set your "departure" time for somewhere between 4 am and 7 am, the computer should start the L2 charging about 4 hours before the departure time. The "start charging" time will then be somewhere between around midnight-ish and 3 am-ish (i.e., after 11:30 pm), depending on the departure time you have set, and charging will be completed by 7 am.

No need to input your electric rate schedule because the ~4 hour time span needed to fully charge the car before the scheduled departure time (if it’s between 4 and 7 am) using L2 charging falls within the off peak rate time period.

You will need to select a daily "departure" time (the manual indicates you set this for each day in the week, i.e., you can individualize it for your own schedule, or just use the same time for all days). If you prefer to have the charging start sooner rather than later during the 11:30 pm-7 am off peak rate time frame, adjust the "departure time" setting to be closer to 4 am than to 7 am.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
one slight disadvantage with departure time based charging is the chance of power grid disruption or when you need the car before departing. It is better to fill it up the earliest with the cheapest rate electricity than wait to be filled up at the last minute.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
one slight disadvantage with departure time based charging is the chance of power grid disruption or when you need the car before departing. It is better to fill it up the earliest with the cheapest rate electricity than wait to be filled up at the last minute.
Good point. A Volt driver using L2 charging where the off peak rates start at 11:30 pm might prefer for that reason to input a "departure time" of 4 am, rather than the actual normal time of, for example, 7 am (nothing requires you to be "truthful" about the departure time you input).

Of course, one might not be recharging a fully depleted battery every night, so the "start charging" time will vary, depending on how depleted the battery was at the end of the day.

If one really prefers the charging to start as soon as the off peak rates take effect, then one would need to use the "delayed based on electric rate and departure time" mode and select the "charge completion: earliest possible." This would also require the additional input of specific peak and off-peak (and mid-peak?) electric rates (which may also remain constant during the year or have different summer/winter schedules).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts