GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Gen2 Premier Volt which I acquired in November. I use the included destination charger each night, usual stuff. What's changed is the temperature.(April) I live in Charlotte, NC and in my garage its currently 89 degrees. I was quite surprised when I heard for the first time fans running, not the usual pin ball activity you hear now and then. I opened the hood and there are two fans running. I get that this is "by design". My question is more about, do the fans run all the time during normal charging if temp is > then x or do they come on and off as needed. Anything else to consider or just move along.. let it do its thing?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The battery cooling system is designed to operate whenever the battery temps get much over 85 degrees, to protect the battery.

It will do this when charging. It will also do it when not charging, if it is plugged in.

Heat is by far the worst thing for batteries, so it is cheap insurance to baby the batteries. Keep your Volt/Bolt plugged in in hot weather.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have a 2017 Gen2 Premier Volt which I acquired in November. I use the included destination charger each night, usual stuff. What's changed is the temperature.(April) I live in Charlotte, NC and in my garage its currently 89 degrees. I was quite surprised when I heard for the first time fans running, not the usual pin ball activity you hear now and then. I opened the hood and there are two fans running. I get that this is "by design". My question is more about, do the fans run all the time during normal charging if temp is > then x or do they come on and off as needed. Anything else to consider or just move along.. let it do its thing?
When it gets warmer, not only will the fans run but the electric air conditioning compressor will run too....at varying speeds.

-e

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's best to set the Volt to charge overnight, not just because it can be cheaper. Ambient temperatures are lower at night, which helps keep the charging process be more efficient. It's also better for the environment because most power plants are wasting tons of energy because they're making excess energy while idling: at least some of it will power your car.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
When it's hot enough I hear a pump spooling up on mine. It does it in steps, which I thought was odd. It's kinda loud compared with the fans.

·
Registered
131 Posts
As others have said, it's normal. Our Volt is completely quiet in the winter while charging in the garage but now is starting to run the fans due to the warmer temperatures. I never checked but it's also my understanding that the car will keep the batteries "warm" too if the temperature dips below a certain threshold.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
89 degrees is pretty hot for NC this time of year. Maybe leave a door open to ventilate it. Also, use delayed charging. This gives the battery time to cool after driving and the ambient temps time to fall before charging starts. Both will make the fans run less and make charging more efficient.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Is there any way to know the temperature of the battery coolant? The coolant temperature that is displayed appears to only represent the ICE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts