GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I bought a 2016 Volt, supposed to be delivered today. I also bought a Juicebox 240 volt charger. The Juicebox is connected to Wi-Fi and allows setting of a schedule. I would like to charge the Volt every night, say from 11pm to 5 or 6 am. The Juicebox allows this type of schedule to be set...as does the Volt. How do I actually set this up?

1) Set the Juicebox's schedule for charging from 11pm to 5/6am and set the Volt to charge immediately?
2) Set the Juicebox's schedule for charging from 11pm to 5/6am and set the Volt's charging schedule within that time period?
3) Turn off the Juicebox's schedule, and set the Volt's charging schedule to be from 11pm to 5/6am (or similar)?

The schedules above are simply to move the charging to times when the electrical use in the house is low.

Also, we have solar on our house. Is it more reasonable to charge the Volt during the day on weekends? (I'm at work during the week, so I don't have the ability to charge the Volt until I get home, usually at 7pm or later.) We currently produce more than we use only during the summer months; during winter or if anything runs too much (such as a pool pump and/or AC units), we produce less than we use.

As far as I know, there are no incentives for using electricity in off-peak times.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
You might find it easier to just set the Volt's charging schedule using the Volt's own built in scheduling timer. Read the Volt's manual on setting the charging schedule.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I'll turn off the schedule in the Juicebox and use the Volt's scheduler. I'll report back once I get the car (supposed to be delivered today) and have some time to figure out how everything works.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I use the Volt's option to schedule "charging based on departure time." It calculates the start time so that it finishes per my scheduled time. I set it for about 1/2 hour before I typically leave, so it is always full even if I leave a little early.

Using this helps warm the battery before I leave in the winter, but it is most convenient to just use it all year.

GSP

·
Registered
30 Posts
I use the Volt's option to schedule "charging based on departure time." ...
Using this helps warm the battery before I leave in the winter, but it is most convenient to just use it all year.
GSP
I hadn't thought about the battery getting warmed based on this. I'm using a JuiceCord (too cheap for the JuiceBox, and liked the flexibility of 110 and 240v), and plan to just use it to monitor energy usage while letting the Volt handle the charging times.

I would think you should set the weekend charging times to charge during the day while you're home, and the week day use the set time before leaving. I "think" you can set up a schedule like this.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I have the older JuiceBox kit that doesn't have Wi-Fi, but does have a simple schedule, yet I have never used it because I lack the EV. I see the JuiceBox scheduler useful for simpler EVs that aren't as brilliant as the Chevy Volt, or for home brewed conversions.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would use the volt as primary source, and the EVSE schedule as secondary if you absolutely want to charge only within that window.

For example,

In the winter I leave my car plugged in all night to keep the battery warm when very cold out.
If I remote start at 8am, it will activate and use (peak) grid power even if volt schedule says don't charge after 7am
I don't need a full battery each day, so it's a waste of peak power for nothing.
If you absolutely only want to use off-peak power, have the EVSE set a window where it will be off.

Should situations change, you can always override one or both schedules.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've currently set the Volt to have both a time schedule of departure times and also a fake electric schedule to force night charging.

However, the Juicebox integrates now with the Alexa (the Amazon Echo product). So this means I could tell Alexa to tell the Juicebox to charge the car, such as if I go out on a weekend day and then get back and want to charge the car for going out later that day. So, I'll probably just turn off the Volt's charging (maybe I'll set it to "charge immediately"), and then I'll set up a schedule on the Juicebox to charge only at night. This way, I can talk to Alexa to override this.

If the Alexa supports this, I can also determine the charging/plugged in status. For instance, last night I thought I plugged in the Volt, but I did not get the connector seated correctly. I woke up to an uncharged car. Hopefully, I can just ask Alexa whether the car is plugged in or not, and Alexa will tell me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, I gave up. I turned the Volt to "charge immediately" and I now control everything through the Juicebox. Why? Well, I drove to a location with a charging station, plugged in the car, went shopping, came out...and the car didn't charge. I then drove home (on the weekend, this was), plugged the car in...and the car didn't charge. I did not realize it until later, when I went out again...and had to use gas. I did not have GPS set up and had the option "charge as late as possible" (or whatever the words are). Instead of this, it's easier to just have the Volt charge immediately whenever it's plugged in, and I'll control the actual charging at home with the Juicebox.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
OK, I gave up. I turned the Volt to "charge immediately" and I now control everything through the Juicebox. Why? Well, I drove to a location with a charging station, plugged in the car, went shopping, came out...and the car didn't charge. I then drove home (on the weekend, this was), plugged the car in...and the car didn't charge. I did not realize it until later, when I went out again...and had to use gas. I did not have GPS set up and had the option "charge as late as possible" (or whatever the words are). Instead of this, it's easier to just have the Volt charge immediately whenever it's plugged in, and I'll control the actual charging at home with the Juicebox.
How do you like the Juicebox btw? So you can control everything via an app? And all charging data is logged?

I contributed to a Kickstarter campaign for a Juiceplug (made by the same guys), but of course it is taking way longer for them to send out the units. Was supposed to be delivered in July, but now I'm just hoping it gets shipped out before the end of the year.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the same issue yesterday and also set my Volt back to charge immediately and let the Juicebox handle the scheduling so I can easily charge on the go. I didn't realize the Juicebox integrates with Alexa, I'll have to set that up!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts