GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I got in my 2015 Volt the other day to go home from work and pressed the power button and got a power steering error message. The car acted like it was in accessory mode, radio worked, dash was lit but drive unit was dead. Although the "ready" indicator was lit and I was able to shift into reverse, drive, etc, the drive was dead. Called Onstar (always a joy) and they were not able to run a vehicle diagnostic. Escalated to a Volt adviser team member who was very nice. She was ready to call a tow truck and the dealership to set me up with a loaner but wanted to try taking the car out of service mode. Apparently the symptoms resembled a car in service mode, so she called me back on my cell and then walked me through the steps to reboot the car. I had to open my drivers door, shut the car off, wait 30 seconds, close the door and turn the car on again. What do you know, it worked. The car acted normal except for the check engine light that stayed on. The next day after turning the car on and off a few times, it finally went off. I had a 2012 for 4 years and never had that issue.

Mixed feelings, the bad news is that it happened at all. The good news is I felt that Chevy was there to support me and get me on my way as quickly as possible. The adviser called me a couple of days later to follow up, very nice lady. She said she never heard of that issue before, said it was probably a software glitch. More proof was are driving computers these days.

Wanted to share this info in case anyone else experiences this problem.

Still love my volt! :)

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
I wonder if you accidentally put it in service mode yourself. I think the procedure is to press the on button for 7 seconds without your foot on the brake.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
I would still schedule a visit with your dealer. A problem like that could strand you.

Good luck.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Service Mode: With foot off the brake, press and hold the power button for 5-6 seconds.

5-6 seconds is a relatively long time to be holding down the power button. Start counting, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004, 1005.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts