GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Service High Voltage System error fixed by recall 18215
This recall is considered a NO CHARGE safety recall.

Item Affected: HYBRID PROPULSION SYSTEM
Date Announced: 06/14/2018

Description of Recall:General Motors LLC (GM) is recalling certain 2013 Chevrolet Volt vehicles. An update to the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 (HPCM2) may have disabled the cell balancing function causing a low-voltage condition. Action Need To Fix It:GM will notify owners, and dealers will reprogram the HPCM2, free of charge. The recall began July 24, 2018. Owners may contact Chevrolet customer service at 1-800-222-1020. GM's number for this recall is 18215.

2012 Volt with 188,000 km driven 60 km daily in Calgary Canada, it is out of warranty.

I had the message Service High Voltage System on Monday and the car would not accept a charge from L1 or L2 chargers. I feared that the battery had a bad cell because I received "Propulsion Power Reduced" earlier last week. I tried to clear the error codes with two different OBD code readers with no success, CEL and same error message. Out of Warranty Dealership fear came over me, is my credit limit high enough and should I bring lube.

I have never had the car in for service at a local dealer. I called local dealers to see who had a trained technician, CMP in Calgary had a tech and could work on it the next day. When they checked the vin they said that there were recalls to be done and 18215 was one of them, also the car only saw a dealership during the first year for recalls and has not been serviced for over 170,000km.

I thought this was a credit to GM that it still has the original brake pads. I had the dealer replace the coolant for the high voltage battery after the updates. It was due for maintenance which requires a special coolant and the procedure would assure the coolant pump was working properly, my second concern why the error may have appeared. The service high voltage system message cleared with the update and charged normally.

Do not be afraid to call a qualified GM dealer to perform recalls. CMP was very thorough and made sure it would charge completely without throwing a code before returning the vehicle to me the next day. I would recommend them. The total cost for the HV flush and fill was cdn$350 us$260. Good for another 200,000 km. I hope posting this free recall resolves the issues for everyone who ever experiences the dreaded service HV system message.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts