GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an early 2012 Volt with about 35,500 miles. Last December my battery heater failed and they had to open my battery pack and part of that included spilling a bunch of the battery coolant. After the repair, got the car back and it operated fine.

About 2-3 months after that I got a Service High Voltage Charging System error. Took it in and they said it was just a low battery coolant level and they said they checked and there were no leaks in the system. Car operated fine after that. My assumption was that there was a bunch of air in the battery plumbing from when they opened the pack that had worked its way out.

Now again, about 2 months later, I have the same Service High Voltage Charging system error. It came on while the car was just parked in the parking lot not charging yesterday. I don't know yet for sure that it is from low battery coolant level, but I presume so. If that turns out to be the issue, any ideas as to cause? Did they not seal the system correctly when they put the battery back together in December and there is a slow leak which they missed last time? I have not seen any fluids on the ground in my garage. I have a Voltscreen that has been in place since last summer or so. This is getting annoying.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Battery coolant level is one of those checks most of us have never done on another car. There are advantages to a liquid cooled battery. Longer battery life is one. Chevrolet says check the coolant level once a month.
If it requires more coolant each month take it to the dealer. Your repair seems to be a good example.

Gen1 owners with the metal coolant cap lock might like to know the 2017 does not have a cap lock on the battery coolant reservoir.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I just had such a DIC with my 2012. It was not the coolant but a reprogram of the HPCM control module. No charge repair under the 8 yr/100,000 mile warranty for the Voltec system.

Hmmmm seems to be quit a few of these popping up lately, wonder if it is a trend?

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info and link, Steverino.

Just checked level. Level is not low. Guess it is the sensor.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got my Volt back yesterday. Codes were "P0AA6 00 and P1FFF 00 in HPCM2" It says they found an updated program and programmed the HPCMS and BECM with the new program.

Car charges fine now. I really wish this dealership would charge my car as a courtesy. They had the time to do that. Last time I asked them to do it but they failed miserably and plugged it in but didn't turn the car off and it idled overnight burning about 1/2 gallon. This time I didn't ask and they didn't even try and gave it back to me having burned 1/4 gallon going zero miles. :(

All the past times I had managed to remember to tell them to not do the unintentional engine running recall. I forgot this time, and naturally they did the recall. They were doing their job and it is totally my fault, but now I can look forward to an earful of honking when I get out to get the mail.

So I couldn't charge my car for about 5 days before I was able to secure a loaner from the dealership (2016 Malibu. Pretty nice. I liked CarPlay) and had to drive everywhere on gas in the Volt. I usually get 42-43 mpg driving around on the highway. I got 33 mpg with all the short trips driving around town doing city miles.

This whole episode was a side effect of having a TMS for the battery. I don't suppose a Leaf would have had a similar error, but of course your battery would be cooking all the time. I really want to get a Bolt, but what happens in a Bolt when there is a similar error that prevents you from charging? At least I could drive around on gas in the Volt. I would have been extremely nervous driving around without the ability to charge in a Bolt. And of course my dealership wouldn't bother to charge my Bolt after they fixed it, apparently.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just received this alarm today and checked the coolant level as suggested. It was just below the seam so I added fluid to tank. Will the alarm clear by itself? If so, how long will it take?

I purchased this car new and have never had this alarm before.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I just received this alarm today and checked the coolant level as suggested. It was just below the seam so I added fluid to tank. Will the alarm clear by itself? If so, how long will it take?

I purchased this car new and have never had this alarm before.
I don't think that one will clear by itself, but a quick trip to your local parts store and they usually have a ODB scanner for their customer use, they won't clear them but usually you can without to much trouble. I used an Autozone Bosch reader on my 2012 and it did the trick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Out of warranty - several hundred dollars for reprogramming???

I just had such a DIC with my 2012. It was not the coolant but a reprogram of the HPCM control module. No charge repair under the 8 yr/100,000 mile warranty for the Voltec system.

Hmmmm seems to be quit a few of these popping up lately, wonder if it is a trend?
I have an older Volt and it has been well-loved and well-used as is, therefore, well beyond its warranty at this point. I received the High Voltage Charging System warning and took it in to the dealer. Apparently it will cost several hundred dollars for them to reprogram it. The way it was explained to me was that, because of the cold weather, sometimes the Volt would need to be re-programmed to get it working again, like a cell phone update or a software update on the computer. My issue is, my cell phone provider doesn't charge me hundreds of dollars when they send an update. Seems like, I bought a Volt so I could charge it and use battery power, if the battery is still good but the car can't charge it because of a software issue, that should be free of charge, even if it is out of warranty.

Anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to not pay ridiculous dealership fees?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Out of warranty - several hundred dollars for reprogramming???

I have an older Volt and it has been well-loved and well-used and is, therefore, well beyond its warranty at this point. I received the High Voltage Charging System warning and took it in to the dealer. Apparently it will cost several hundred dollars for them to reprogram it. The way it was explained to me was that, because of the cold weather, sometimes the Volt would need to be re-programmed to get it working again, like a cell phone update or a software update on the computer. My issue is, my cell phone provider doesn't charge me hundreds of dollars when they send an update. Seems like, I bought a Volt so I could charge it and use battery power, if the battery is still good but the car can't charge it because of a software issue, that should be free of charge, even if it is out of warranty.

Anyone else have this issue? Anything I can do to not pay ridiculous dealership fees?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I have an older Volt and it has been well-loved and well-used as is, therefore, well beyond its warranty at this point. I received the High Voltage Charging System warning and took it in to the dealer. Apparently it will cost several hundred dollars for them to reprogram it. The way it was explained to me was that, because of the cold weather, sometimes the Volt would need to be re-programmed to get it working again, like a cell phone update or a software update on the computer. My issue is, my cell phone provider doesn't charge me hundreds of dollars when they send an update. Seems like, I bought a Volt so I could charge it and use battery power, if the battery is still good but the car can't charge it because of a software issue, that should be free of charge, even if it is out of warranty.

Have you checked the battery coolant tank to see if it's low?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Have you checked the battery coolant tank to see if it's low?
The dealership guy said he topped off the coolant level for me, but said it wouldn't charge until this re-programming was done on it. The High Voltage message was cleared, so I was hoping it was just the coolant. But I took it to the level 2 charger at my work (where it has charged with no issues in the past) and the green light never came on and the car didn't charge in the 8 hours I was working. Maybe a little strange thing - the message on the panel said it was charging, and the level 2 charger also said it was charging. But after 8 hours it was at the same 6 miles of battery that it had when I plugged it in.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Get a 1 VIN gds subscription, and the appropriate hardware to do the update yourself. Bunch of threads on it (mostly in the software subforum of Engineering and Design, and I think the VCX Nano one in the main gen 1 forum) and the link to the subscription you need is https://www.acdelcotds.com/acdelco/action/subscribehome

·
Registered
70 Posts
UPDATE: Bricked?!?
Well I replaced the aux battery and the car seemed to be driving fine, even used some of the charge and then charged back up to that same 5 - 6 mile point before it stopped charging. Then we were driving it to dinner the other night and it lost all power in the middle of an intersection. It would not turn back on, even when I tried inserting the key manually in the dash. Zero power meant I could not put on hazards and could not put it into neutral to push it out of the way. A driver a few cars behind us got annoyed, spun his tires and crashed into the car in front of him - a bit of karma I guess for being an idiot, but it could have just as easily been my car that got rear-ended. I called a tow truck and he tried to get it into neutral, even used a battery-powered jumper to get some power to the Volt, which worked for a few seconds but turned off even with that thing still attached. I had it towed to the place that put in the aux battery (Firestone) and they ran a diagnostic and said their battery was still good (which seems questionable to me since I had no hazards or anything) and that the problem is with the Volt battery.

Seems to me this is a big failure on Chevy's part - the car was in not even a month ago and they said it just needed this expensive software update to start charging again, but did not say the car would stop in the middle of an intersection and threaten my life. If the battery is old and dying, fine, but shouldn't the car work on gas still? Or at least let us put it into neutral?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts