GM Volt Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had the wot defeat for a few years, no problems. Wife went to drive the car and got the shvcs message today and the car won't charge. Stuck at work so I'll check the coolant levels when I get home but not sure where else to start digging around. I'll order a vcx nano so I can reset it in case a normal obd2 won't. Is there any way to test the defeat to see if it has failed?
I delayed a few months and got to having to clear those codes for every charge. Finally bit my tongue and took it to dealer yesterday (first time for my 2013 bought in 2017, has 88k miles on it) Dealer said it was all covered under Voltec warranty. They checked coolant, did a recall check, and tested isolation and said it was OK at 300 AMPS. Of course they meant 300 megaohms but you cannot tell them that... THey also uploaded new software (probably to change the threshold of leakage resistance) to simple clear the problem.

Maybe GM wants to see when cars begin to develop leakage and so they set it at some higher number so that they get these codes eventually to learn about the life of the battery pack and then lower the threshold (still safe) to put the car back on the road. WIthout doing something like this, how else would they know how leakage occurs in aging cars?

Im happy. Got my FrankenVolt back today, pone day later... My EVs
Bob

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Had the wot defeat for a few years, no problems. Wife went to drive the car and got the shvcs message today and the car won't charge. Stuck at work so I'll check the coolant levels when I get home but not sure where else to start digging around. I'll order a vcx nano so I can reset it in case a normal obd2 won't. Is there any way to test the defeat to see if it has failed?
What year is your gen 1? The splice problem only applies to 2011 and 2012. If one of those is yours, then The splice could be corroded and the SHVCS message could return.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts